Home

TheSinner.net

History of St Andrews anyone?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

History of St Andrews anyone?

Postby Freddie on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Hello all,

Not a regular poster but a regular reader. I wonder if anyone shares my passion for the history of St Andrews, and in particular in collecting and/or somehow involving with the literature, or indeed in any other way taking up some sort of past time in the subject.

I ask for two reasons.

First, I am doing my Modern History Dissertation on the subject of the History of Student Experience, currently vaguely defined but possibly looking at the evolution of our modern traditions, or perhaps at the upsetting time in the 1880's when the university nearly closed its doors (gasp)

Second, much more interesting... I am keen to try and make all of the material that I find accessible to the students who come here. Too many come through and leave without ever knowing how much there is to see in this town if you open your eyes to certain things. Now, I don't expect everyone to be interested, but I will be starting a blog on my research and want to look at a way of getting the masses of information off the dusty shelves and into a format that is relevant and interesting. I started this, sort of, with a website a couple of years ago (http://www.standrewsfreshers.com) but it was a bit more general.

Anyway, any help or interest in this general direction will be greatly appreciated, and I'm really interested and open to ideas of how we can make this history more available etc etc

Thanks all - please reply either here or to FF55@...
Fred
Freddie

Re: History of St Andrews anyone?

Postby jtm4 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm a new student arriving this September and am very interested in learning more of the obscure and fascinating bits of history you extol. I've done more on the early Celtic, mediaeval and reformation periods than those later, so I don't know how much I will be helping your more modern field, but I do want to help promote appreciation of our history by students et al. One thing I'll be doing soon is a pilgrimage to the mediaeval centre of Scottish Christianity at nearby Dunkeld, where my grandfathers were hereditary abbots of the Sacred Brethren of St. Columba. Keep up the good work, best of blessings on your studies, and I anticipate learning more in a milieu of excited historical inquisitiveness of your making.
jtm4

Re: History of St Andrews anyone?

Postby Olorin on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm a new student arriving this September and am very interested in learning more of the obscure and fascinating bits of history you extol. I've done more on the early Celtic, mediaeval and reformation periods than those later, so I don't know how much I will be helping your more modern field, but I do want to help promote appreciation of our history by students et al. One thing I'll be doing soon is a pilgrimage to the mediaeval centre of Scottish Christianity at nearby Dunkeld, where my grandfathers were hereditary abbots of the Sacred Brethren of St. Columba. Keep up the good work, best of blessings on your studies, and I anticipate learning more in a milieu of excited historical inquisitiveness of your making.
Olorin

Return to The Sinner's Main Board