Home

TheSinner.net

Recycling?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Recycling?

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:58 pm

Okay, so I scoured the Sinner's guide to St. Andrews [which is great, by the way] but I couldn't find any info. on recycling.

How easy is it - is there a recycling center in the town, is it common practice, am I going to have to save up all my rubbish to make a once-monthly trek into a Edinburgh in order to ensure that it doesn't get left in some nondescript landfill site?

I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into...

Thanks,
L.

Re:

Postby MrGreedy on Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:00 pm

Bottles, can, plastics can be taken to collection points in Safeways car park (though some halls have recycling bins for glass and cans anyway). Depending on the hall, you might be able to recycle newspapers as well - I know in JBH there's a bin in front hall for them.
MrGreedy

Recycling

Postby boombangboom on Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:56 am

There are some recycling points in Safeway's car park, but it's a bit out of town. And there are a couple in the old station car park by the bus station.

Fife council have also issued brown bins to some areas for 'ecological' rubbish like food leftovers and biod-egradable stuff.
boombangboom

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:56 am

I think there is a recycling centre of sorts in the Argyle street car park, but just for cans and bottles (dont quote me on that)... Im not sure about paper recycling (which is stupid really in a university town, seeing as we probably go through so much of it).
Lyeta

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:16 pm

there is a secition on the union website about recycling:
http://www.yourunion.net/main/representation/recycling

however that is out of date as there have been very recent improvements. we are also due to recive blue bins for paper this winter for doorstep collection.

[hr]Are you tickly? if you are, be afraid, be very afraid.
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:32 am

Thanks very much for that. Okay, now one more question:

Does the university itself recycle? I mean, what happens to all that reams and reams of paperwork that I know all unis go through on a daily basis?

I realise this one might be less easy to answer so don't fret. Either way, I'll find out when I get there.

L.

Re:

Postby Okocim on Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:07 pm

Nope, the university, as far as I've ever noticed, don't recycle paper. (And I confess, neither have I!) It's actually quite difficult to recycle paper in the St Andrews area - there's just about nowhere to take it. Mind you, I'm sure an organisation of university size could've managed to set up some kind of system if it had really wanted to. Perhaps a student campaign for the future???
Okocim

Re:

Postby RainbowPixie on Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:14 pm

Don’t know about the university, however not mentioned on the Union's site are the recycling facilities for drinks cans and glass in Fife Park. These are lot closer for people in Fife Park, DRH and the new DRH apartments than Safeways or having to wander into town with your rubbish.
Does anyone know if these new brown and blue bins will be available in Albany or Fife Park?
RainbowPixie

Re:

Postby Neferet on Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:17 pm

Whatever happened to those blue bins that the council used to provide for recycling paper?

They didn't stick around very long.
Neferet

Re:

Postby fluKe on Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:33 pm

There is a big bottle bank in the car park next to kinburn park (the one you closest to the whey pat).

Uni Hall also collects things for recycling in big boxes alll around hall.

I'm amazed that the uni itself doesn't recycle paper. THey must get through it almost as fast as the alcohol bottles.
fluKe

Re:

Postby Colin on Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:19 pm

At one point Tree & Frog were going to organise a paper recylcing scheme, where they would go round in the union minibus once a week or so and collect paper from departments and other large producers of paperwork. They were looking for drivers to set up a pilot of the scheme (ie just the Physics building to begin with) last summer, but I never heard anything further about it. Anyone know what happenned to that idea? Or where they were taking the paper to once it was collected?
Colin

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:32 pm

The blue bins were talked up no end by Fife council and the lib dems if I remember correctly.

Then they vanished without a trace..

They were probably just not used enough, like the brown bins.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Thackary on Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:15 pm

The union used to recycle their paper and cardboard waste, and while I was working at Beatons, I had to ensure that the card waste went into a separate bin from the other rubbish.

However, one day I noticed that the council bin lorry had taken both bins and emptied them into the same lorry.
We weren't told that the paper and card wasn't being recycled. Bah.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:05 pm

Dean's Court recycles bottles.
Don't know about other halls though.
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Clare on Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:18 am

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 23:05, 28th Aug 2003:

Where's Dean's Court???
Clare

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:32 am

Opposite the cathedral.

[hr]"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time".
Al

Re:

Postby Colin on Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:52 pm

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 23:05, 28th Aug 2003:

Most, if not all, have wheelie bin sized bottle banks outside for that purpose. Unfortunately a wheelie bin gets filled up and then some after even just one little party. Luckily Dean's Court and Sallies are near my flat...

... it wasn't us, honest ...

... dont even like beer, me ...

... never even heard of Pilsner Urquel.
Colin

Re:

Postby RaphX on Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:49 pm

The state of recycling in this country is rather disgraceful. It doesn't help that cheap, crappy packaging is used instead of something that can be put to better use.
gg non-recycling government.

[hr]IMAGE:audiotracker.bamboozled.org/remote/song.php/RaphX

and on the eighth day, we bulldozed it.
RaphX

Re:

Postby BackwardsMan on Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:24 am

paper is made from wood - easy to regrow

glass is made from sand - there's plenty of that in the world

plastic is made from oil - and that's running out fast. Why the hell are there hardly any plastic recycling bins anywhere in the UK?

also, why can only cans and bottles be recycled? what about tin foil, lumps of metal, sheets of glass, plastic packaging, etc, etc. so much waste but people just throw it out because it isn't a bottle shape for the 'bottle bin'.
BackwardsMan

Re:

Postby cberry on Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:04 am

Recycling paper and glass is pretty much a waste of time, first because they are made from nearly infinite resources (commercial forest companies replenish tree stocks, also paper is made from tree "waste" leftover from lumber products, sand, well, no shortage there) and also because the act of recycling is oftentimes enviormentally damaging: the process of recycling paper uses lots of damaging chemicals and bleaches. As far as metals and plastics, they will only be recycled in large quantities when the economic incentives exist; namely, when resources run low. As much as the greens would like to convince us otherwise, resources are cheaper and more available than ever. Good natured people can recycle as much as they please, but its not until the producers start prefering recycled inputs that plastics, metals, etc will be actively collected.
cberry

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board