Home

TheSinner.net

Why is St Andrews so poorly rated on Stipso.com

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Why is St Andrews so poorly rated on Stipso.com

Postby wdm2 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:19 am

Hey everyone,

Check out: http://www.stipso.com/students/

I came across the above student survey this weekend. It compares Universities, using parameters like "Cheapest Kebab" etc which I thought was rather amusing!

Whats your opinion on the Stipso University ranking system???

Looking forward to your comments!

Will
wdm2

Re: Why is St Andrews so poorly rated on Stipso.com

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 pm

wdm2 wrote:I came across the above student survey this weekend.

Or: you produced the website and now you're advertising it on various university-related forums?

wdm2 wrote:It compares Universities, using parameters like "Cheapest Kebab" etc which I thought was rather amusing!

You're easily amused, then. At your own criteria, too.

wdm2 wrote:Whats your opinion on the Stipso University ranking system???

If you "came across [it] this weekend" why would you care?

wdm2 wrote:Looking forward to your comments!

Why?

If you've produced a website to serve a purpose, at least be honest about that fact when you're advertising it.

My feedback: it is sparse in the extreme. The cost of a kebab might be of interest if it was part of a bigger (more-encompassing) breakdown of extra-curricular costs. And each university city/town had a single provider of kebabs, rather than a selection which will be of varying costs. Are we meant to provide a calculated average? Should we include shish, doner and chicken and exclude "mixed"?

Make an attempt at producing something usable - and don't lie afterwards.

Oh, and the ranking system doesn't work. The "star system" for St Andrews is 3, yet the feedback score is 4.1
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby wdm2 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 am

Hi RedCelt69. Sorry to prove you wrong (can't imagine your wrong often...), but I am actually a final year student here at the University.

And, I actually came across the Stipso site this weekend and was genuinely interested in other peoples opinions... so I thought i'd post it on the sinner.

Personally, I think it is terrible. Their already exists an extensive range of credible ranking systems like the Times Higher Education rankings, Sunday Times etc. Besides most prospective students get all the information they really need from a prospectus and from open days.
wdm2

Postby jvesanto on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:20 pm

I sincerely hope you're not a St Andrews student with spelling like that.
jvesanto

Postby Lilith on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Bwahahahaha, good shout jvesanto! :laugh:
Lilith

Postby RedCelt69 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:26 pm

wdm2 wrote:Hi RedCelt69. Sorry to prove you wrong (can't imagine your wrong often...), but I am actually a final year student here at the University.

Oh, indeed I can be wrong... but I'm not convinced (yet) that I am on this occasion. Your interest in what others think about the site seems strange to me. Diplomacy aside, it's shite. And St Andrews isn't rated "so poorly" (4.1 out of 5 is poor?), but someone seeking interest in the site might say as much... and the only person who might find the "kebab idea" funny is the person who came up with it.

But hey ho...

As a student in your final year, might I ask what you've been studying? And whether anyone has pointed out to you when you should use there/their/they're (and your/you're)? Just curious.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:50 am

To be fair, I'm published (poetry, long long ago), have written for a living, and am generally a pedant about grammar, and YET...

I often screw up their/there/they're. Not that I don't absolutely know the difference, but something goes wonky between my brain and my fingers when I'm typing. Never happens when writing longhand. I don't always catch it in review when posting on a forum, either (mostly because I'm not terribly likely to review things on a forum).
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby Cinema on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:50 pm

Also: students at St Andrews have terrible writing skills. Can't blame them though, they don't offer writing classes like most other universities in the world.
Cinema

Postby Delts on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:33 pm

Appropriate for another Zombie to have been created yesterday I think.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Return to The Sinner's Main Board