Home

TheSinner.net

Anxiety and public speaking

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Anxiety and public speaking

Postby IonaComm on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi,

I am a postgraduate student and I am looking to set up a small group for people (like me) who experience a lot of anxiety when it comes to public speaking. I am fed up of it holding me back and the best way to overcome anxiety is to face it, in small steps. So, I was wondering if any other students in the same position as me would like to get together and practice speaking in front of each other in a safe, non-judgemental environment where we can support each other and develop our skills.

If you are interested then please just drop me an email at sf222 and we can organise a wee gathering.

Yours,
Sarah
IonaComm

Re: Anxiety and public speaking

Postby RedCelt69 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 pm

Sarah, that's a remarkably good idea. A good step towards overcoming the problem is to know that your entire audience is in exactly the same position as you. Kudos to you for doing something about it and initiating such a thing.

The only (potential) down-side is that, over time, familiarity with those attending will lessen the anxiety as you'd (essentially) be talking to a group of friends - a situation that wouldn't exist once you're in front of a group of strangers. Perhaps you'd need a regular supply of "new blood" each time you meet.

Regardless, I hope you get some "blood" in the first place and that it helps.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Kegrad on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 pm

You might like the postgrad x-change things run by gradskills. It's a similar idea to what you've got (although I felt not terribly well explained the first couple of times). 3 people give talks, then everyone can ask questions, and one person is chairing, making sure noone goes over time etc.
Kegrad

Postby ajg75 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 pm

If you're a Postgrad in Biology or any of the sciences (stretching as far as psychology) you can always check out BioNet. We have talks every 2 weeks in an informal setting and anyone can ask questions. Plus there's wine and cheese.

http://sabionetwork.wordpress.com/
“If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution, then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction”
http://biology.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/ajg75.htm
ajg75

Return to The Sinner's Main Board