Home

TheSinner.net

Christian Bale is ... Batman!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Christian Bale is ... Batman!

Postby Nick Mitchell on Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:43 am

Just read that Bale is to play Batman in Christopher Nolan's new movie, which has started pre-production. Such a good choice! Do you know they considered Joshua frigging Jackson for the part?
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16074

Oh, and if anyone's interested there's a really cool Batman vs Predator fan film to download here:
http://www.theforce.net/theater/shortfi ... ndex.shtml
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Cloud on Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:55 am

That seems pretty good. I don't think Guy Pearce would have fit the role very well either. Good good. Now, let's just hope Leonardo Dicaprio doesn't get the role of Ironman as is expected!!
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:00 am

[s]Cloud wrote on 09:55, 12th Sep 2003:
Now, let's just hope Leonardo Dicaprio doesn't get the role of Ironman as is expected!!

Jesus Christ, I hadn't heard that. That's awful. He can't even grow a sensible looking moustache.
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:18 am

Not to mention that he still looks about 12 and is nowhere near cool enough.

I think Christian Bale is a good actor but after the last two Batman films, I really need to be convinced that this one is going to be good before risking the cinema.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:28 am

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 11:18, 12th Sep 2003:
but after the last two Batman films, I really need to be convinced that this one is going to be good before risking the cinema.

I know what you mean, but I blame Joel Schumacher. I think that the studio's realised that all that camp kitsch nonsense wasn't the right approach, and I think Nolan's take will be much darker.
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:04 am

Please tell me they've chucked Batgirl.

Not sure if I'll bother with any more batman films, unless they got Tim Burton to do it.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:06 am

Probably. Its set earlier in Batman's life, probably pre-Robin and almost certainly pre-Batgirl. Thank fuck.
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:59 pm

So, what else has this Nolan bloke done then? Is there actually any reason to think it'll be back to the proper Burton-stylee?

[hr][s]Apathy isn't just an attitude,
it's a disbelief system.[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:25 pm

[s]The_Farwall wrote on 13:59, 12th Sep 2003:
So, what else has this Nolan bloke done then?

Sorry for replying to absolutely everyone's post, but as you might be able to tell, I'm a bit bored at work.

Anyway, Christopher Nolan's best known for writing and directing the excellent Memento and directing the (reportedly) great-but-not-as-good-as-Memento Insomnia. Both of which were nice and dark. Meaning, neither were very nice at all, just dark, and very good.
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby cheimon on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:05 pm

the guy who wrote blade runner is reportedly on board as well i think, so that should also lend some quality darkness
cheimon

Re:

Postby Guided By Vices on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:32 pm

So am I the only one hoping they reprise Adam West in the role?
Guided By Vices

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:05 pm

The problem is there are several batman films - or talk there of - about at the moment.

Is Bale taking the role of Batman in Batman: Year 1? I think he's a bit old for that. Although I fear greatly that some generic good-looks, no talent (example Dawson from Dawson's Creek) might get the part for that...
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Neferet on Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:16 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 21:05, 12th Sep 2003:
good-looks, no talent (example Dawson from Dawson's Creek)

Whatever turns you on I guess.
I for one would not like the forehead monster to play Batman.

I think this one only has the working title of Batman 5 though it is supposed to be set before the others. I don't think it's the one about the very early days though.
Neferet

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:56 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 09:55, 12th Sep 2003:
That seems pretty good. I don't think Guy Pearce would have fit the role very well either. Good good. Now, let's just hope Leonardo Dicaprio doesn't get the role of Ironman as is expected!!

Iron Man?

That'll be great! I've only watched the cartoon (the TV was permanently tuned to Fox Kids at the start of the holidays.

The cartoon changed in stiyle totally halfway through the run, to be darker, and with a kick-ass rock theme tune. and, for some reason, Tony Stark grew a luxurious mullet.

current suggestions on the IMDB for Iron Men include Depp, mortensen, Ed Norton (Ed Norton is great, but i can't see him in the role)

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:06 pm

[s]Neferet wrote on 21:16, 12th Sep 2003:
I think this one only has the working title of Batman 5 though it is supposed to be set before the others. I don't think it's the one about the very early days though.

Its not going to be the film adaptation of "Batman: Year One" by Frank Miller, which is an excellent comic and almost as good as "The Dark Knight Returns", but it is going to be about a younger Batman. The villain is reported to be scary mystical Arab bloke Ras Al Ghul (who very few people have heard of but is likely to be good) so its probably based loosely on the "Son Of The Demon" graphic novel, where Batman gets it on with his sexy daughter, Talia. However there are still rumblings that the Scarecrow might make a small appearance.

"Year One" would be a great movie, but I think its fallen by the wayside along with the ideas to adapt Batman Beyond (the future-based cartoon) as a movie.

Oh, and ain't it cool say that the current title is "Batman: Intimidation", although imdb still have "Batman 5".
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Cloud on Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:26 pm

There isn't much news about Ironman at the moment. If Leonardio gets the part I won't be watching it. Tony Stark was an alcoholic, womanising billionaire. Why would you even consider Dicaprio for that role???
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:35 am

[s]Cloud wrote on 16:26, 13th Sep 2003:
There isn't much news about Ironman at the moment. If Leonardio gets the part I won't be watching it. Tony Stark was an alcoholic, womanising billionaire. Why would you even consider Dicaprio for that role???

Plus, Stark wasn't built like a weasley midget like ol' Sprout Face Dicaprio. In fact Mr Stark was built like a brick wall if a remember rightly (not in the massively muscled sense but very angular and square jawed), Plus, did he not have a big black brush of a mustache?
Plus he was older than 12. They can't seriously be considering putting Leo in the film surely?
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:46 am

More news on the Bale as Batman thing: he's contracted for 2 Batman movies and "Batman vs Superman", should it go ahead. Apparently Joshua Jackson gave a good audition ("Come sit next to me on this couch, Pacey!") and therefore might be considered for "Batman: Year One" if it goes ahead at some point in the future, depending on the success of the Bale flick.

Also, apparently "Superman" is still going ahead with that wanker McG from Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, despite rumours to the contrary. But Halle Berry's "Catwoman" is in trouble (as is Luhrmann's "Troy") due to an Australian film company which funds both of them pulling out, apparently down to flops like "Pluto Nash".
Nick Mitchell

Return to The Sinner's Main Board