Home

TheSinner.net

Must We Drink All the Time?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Must We Drink All the Time?

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:55 am

Are we really just going to be drinking every night of freshers week? Or is there some intelligent conversation to be had?

Re:

Postby Evil Knevil on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:05 am

You don't have to drink, of course. Most people get absolutely steaming and make fools of themselves. It doesn't help that it's the first time many people are in this situation, being away from home, with a strong peer pressure to drink. I'm muslim myself, so I can avoid the worst excesses.

Still whatever floats your boat, people should try and have fun.
Evil Knevil

Re:

Postby Aer on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:06 am

i dont think there was tbh. sure u drink, but its with strangers, so i know I didnt go overboard.

tho the tuesday after freshers i was plastered :/

[hr]Always remember, no matter how drunk you are, that tomorrow you will be sober. and probably will have one biiiig hangover.
I can't believe your head exploded. You'll never be a doctor if your head explodes.
Aer

Re:

Postby Manson on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:07 am

Freshers week is about making friends and having fun y'see. Copious amounts of alcohol aids this process by releasing you from your inhibitions. Welcome to St. Andrews.
Manson

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:46 am

It never ceases to amaze me how heavy drinking is such an integral part of life here.I have never experienced anything like it before.But there are quite a few people that will not be drinking on freshers week.You will get your conversation!
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby RaphX on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:24 pm

I've pretty much abstained from drinking now, mainly because I do realise how little it does for me.
I never even enjoyed it that much in the first place... it's just a personal preference. Not that I wouldn't ever drink again, instead hold greater appreciation for nights out that can be had without drinking.

[hr]Let it be a joke,
Let it be a smile,
Let it be a farce if it makes me laugh for a little while.
Let it be a tear,
Let it be a sigh,
Coming from a heart, speaking to a heart, let it be a cry.
RaphX

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:32 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 03:41, 13th Sep 2003:
Are we really just going to be drinking every night of freshers week?

I have yet to witness people forcing freshers to consume alcohol. Also a lot of people don't seem to realise that it is possible to drink without getting drunk. Or should I say, some people do not see the point.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby stan-drews on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:49 pm

Drinking can be fun but you will find other things can fill your time too. Many a time have I been found coming in from a night out and talking with a large group of people on the stairs in hall until rather close to breakfast time. The topics can be rather varied but never are decisions reached. You'll have fun just don't get wasted unless you wan't too, it's not a good idea to rely on strangers to carry you home!
stan-drews

Re:

Postby Neferet on Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:04 pm

There are usually plenty of events in freshers week that are not based around alcohol. If you're in a hall then there's lots of stuff on in the afternoons.
Neferet

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:01 pm

The Onion has lots more to offer than drinking, so make sure you take the best oportunity to meet people. There are loads of things going on in Freshers week, so why don't you have a look around and see what is going on?
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:13 pm

May I draw your attention to the following extract from the Terms and Phrases bit on the Sinner Guide -

"Onion - An allegedly humorous, but definitely annoying, nickname for the Union. Every year someone thinks they invent this name and therefore use it ad nauseam for the rest of their student days. The truth is, however, that it has been around for donkeys' years. It wasn't funny then, and it's not funny now."

How very true.........

[hr]"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time".
Al

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:26 pm

like an old record, you seem to repeat yourself.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:45 pm

I'd like to redefine the motion (spot that, debate nerds!) and ask "Why shouldn't we drink all the time?"
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Ashley on Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:13 pm

With all due respect to everybody, Freshers' week seems to be getting dangerously over-hyped and in my experience that usually ends in an anti-climax. Any thoughts?
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby electric boogaloo on Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:44 pm

Just think how entertaining it is to go out on the lash with your new mates and be the only sober one who remembers the night... and the first one up in the morning to spread the gossip!

My advice would be to have a few choice lemonades, but make your priority to register and make sure you are actually a fully matriculated student and have done all the important things you have to do before you end up comatose in a gutter!
electric boogaloo

Re:

Postby RaphX on Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:48 pm

[s]Ashley wrote on 18:13, 13th Sep 2003:
With all due respect to everybody, Freshers' week seems to be getting dangerously over-hyped and in my experience that usually ends in an anti-climax. Any thoughts?

That seems always to happen, when people seem to think beforehand of it being all about pub crawls and drunken nights at the union and meeting all new drink buddies, with whom they can spend their weekends generally getting plastered. Others who might not feel so strongly about the drinking element, but still feel the need to go out to a pub, just to be with other people, and because they fear being thought of as boring if they don't. We know this isn't the case, but there are always people coming here for the first time who don't realise this, and it does sometimes take a while for them to do so.

[hr]
Let it be a joke,
Let it be a smile,
Let it be a farce if it makes me laugh for a little while.
Let it be a tear,
Let it be a sigh,
Coming from a heart, speaking to a heart, let it be a cry.
RaphX

Re:

Postby Cain on Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:22 pm

[s]RaphX wrote on 13:24, 13th Sep 2003:
I've pretty much abstained from drinking now, mainly because I do realise how little it does for me.
I never even enjoyed it that much in the first place... it's just a personal preference. Not that I wouldn't ever drink again, instead hold greater appreciation for nights out that can be had without drinking.

I don't drink either as i don't see why i would need anything to make me have a good time (i have a "thing" about anything artificial that can affect behaviour & etc it's hard to describe, and i'm not feeling very eloquent)

that which would probably explain why i don't understand the attraction of getting wasted. i know a fair number of folk for whom getting road-coned is the main attraction of a night out (or a night in with a few bottles of wine)

Why?

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:17 am

[s]Pussycat wrote on 13:32, 13th Sep 2003:

I have yet to witness people forcing freshers to consume alcohol.

Yes, the secret alcohol-forcing strike team are getting very good at their job.... Mwahahah! Mwahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha, mwahahahaha... oh, you're still here. Sorry.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:46 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 13:32, 13th Sep 2003:
Also a lot of people don't seem to realise that it is possible to drink without getting drunk.

Absolutely.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Buzzboy on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:14 am

I actually started to drink heavily, not in first year, but in junior honours. There's nothing like alcohol to take away the pain.

[hr]On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
Buzzboy

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board