Home

TheSinner.net

Singing at 2am near James Street

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Singing at 2am near James Street

Postby keep on running on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:42 pm

At around 2am last night some morons in the vicinity of James Street decided to start singing/shouting 'God Save the Queen' and 'Jerusalem'. This was loud enough to wake me - and prevent me from getting back to sleep.

This is a residential area including young families and a WWII veteran. People have jobs to go to in the morning

If anyone knows who these selfish idiots are please tell them that their behaviour is giving St Andrews students a bad name and causing distress to a fellow student with a chronic illness.

This has happened several times now. I don't know why no one has phoned the police so far but can't imagine that the collective patience of this normally quiet area is going to last much longer.

Please, even if you think you know who this might be, point them in the direction of this message.

Thank you.
keep on running

Re: Singing at 2am near James Street

Postby Haunted on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm

I don't know why no one has phoned the police

Why haven't you bothered doing this yourself? Are you actually complaining that no one else has complained on your behalf? Maybe it's not bothering anyone else enough
and a WWII veteran

Relevance? I doubt the old chap has great hearing these days
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby keep on running on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Haunted - What a dumb response, and childish too! Do you honestly get off on being nasty to people you don't know?

No, I'm trying to find someone who knows who they are who can tell them to shut the F up.

I haven't been out to find out where the noise is coming from at 2am. No.

And I spoke with my veteran neighbour, he HAS been bothered by them. I think that waking up an OAP with so-called Patriotic songs is cruel. Maybe you think it's perfectly okay?

Why take the time to respond to someone's appeal for help if not to offer help? That is low, troll-like behaviour.

Oh, and before you get excited, I'm not interested in getting into a debate with you.
keep on running

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 pm

keep on running wrote:Oh, and before you get excited, I'm not interested in getting into a debate with you.

Don't raise an issue (I was going to say on the internet, but in reality anywhere) without expecting a response. Saying that you're not interested in getting into a debate is doing the equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and yelling "lah lah lah lah lah"... which is worth mentioning, if you're going to call people childish.

Do you know that the noise-makers were students? Were they wearing gowns? Because... late at night (especially in Scotland) people with a drink in them like to share things with people who don't want things shared with them. I get the exact same thing on a regular basis, but I'm in a commuter town, not St Andrews. i.e. they almost certainly aren't students.

And there really was no relevance in mentioning a WW2 veteran neighbour, other than to try and score Daily Mail points of indignance.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby keep on running on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:09 am

PhD + tutoring + illness = no time to play on the internet.

Students as most locals don't have posh English accents.

I didn't request a debate, I requested help.
keep on running

Postby RedCelt69 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:39 am

keep on running wrote:Students as most locals don't have posh English accents.

Their choice of songs made it obvious that they were English. Or ironic when drunk. Jerusalem talks of England and God Save the Queen/King lost favour in Scotland after Culloden's aftermath saw a change to the verses. So, they were English. And posh. That still doesn't guarantee that they were students and, if they are, the very fact that those traits make them likely candidates as students also makes their exact identification all the less likely.

If it happens again, stick your head out of the window and shout some derogatory remarks at them. Drunk people love that sort of thing. Their drunken lack of consideration for others vanishes in a magical puff of smoke. Or your window's glazed nature vanishes in a less-than-magical puff of broken glass. One of the two.

Or you could just learn to live with it. It hardly threatens the Town & Gown culture if the Gown behaves exactly the same way as the Town. It could almost be commended; visiting English oiks behaving the same way as Scottish neds. Integration, and all that.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Haunted on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:01 pm

keep on running wrote:I didn't request a debate, I requested help.

And I gave you some; call the police if it's really bothering you. It's pretty hypocritical to bitch that other people aren't calling the police when this is something you are also not doing.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby macgamer on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Were they burning any effigies at the time? Effigy burning + the singing of Jerusalem tends to indicate members of the student Conservative and Unionist Association.

Since they have a high regard for Her Majesty, I'm sure that they'd be only too happy to cooperate with the officers of one of Her Constabularies.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby keep on running on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks a lot. Hopefully one of them will read this and realise that my only option is the police. That'll look great on their CVs should they go into politics...
keep on running

Postby kezziecats on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:04 am

Have a look at this website

http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/news/index ... FF11364B2C

There is a daytime number which you could try calling for some advice and also a number to call at night to contact the Fife Council Night Time Noise Team to report the problem. There is also some advice on there about how to deal with the problem such as keeping a note of the times/duration of problems.

Hope that this helps and that you get it sorted out.
kezziecats

Postby Delts on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:01 am

Eh, as has been said you're being an eejit. If it bothers you that much, call the police. Don't bitch on here when you get the obvious sensible advice. The most childish person other than me now was yourself.

[edit] Having looked James Street up it should be noted that unless they were walking down Largo Road (tough luck, you will end up with drunken singers there from time to time) they are probably your neighbours. Image [/edit]
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Cinema on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:48 pm

OP is not taking the correct course of action. They could have at least just stated a request for help.

ON THE OTHER HAND: calling the police here won't do shit. I'm amazed at how useless the St Andrews police are (and/or any other options for noisy neighbours). I tried calling the police several times a week about the same neighbours and they just don't do anything. Realized this when we called a daytime number and they were like, "it shows on our records that you haven't called the police". WTF?!?!

If anyone has any suggestions how to deal with this, I'd be welcome to them!! So far the daytime noise complaint hasn't done anything, the police haven't done anything. I'm thinking about writing a letter to the council? Seems old fashioned... but perhaps that will help?
Cinema

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:48 am

The council deal with noise complaints, the police just enforce them.

So, yes, speak to the council. most councils have a dedicated number for anti-social things and some specifically for noise.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Return to The Sinner's Main Board