Home

TheSinner.net

Are all Americans hated?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Simpleton on Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:35 pm

ah lovely, lovely Sabrina. Melville's resident Canadian last year (I'm sure there were more). bit neurotic at times, but otherwise lovely. esp. in nothing but a sheet...
Simpleton

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:06 pm

Bad joke, Oli!

But funny...
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby Saz on Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:36 pm

Can anyone explain to me the thing Americans have with the Canadians? I remember one of my American friends tried to explain it to me and said it was mainly because the Canadians 'are too darn nice its freaky' and 'they're all weirdos' is this true? someone explain please!
Saz

Oh Canada,

Postby Pilmour Boy on Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:08 pm

The Canadian national anthem sucks, but it can be fun watching people singing with their trousers around their ankles, doing press-ups, and having their butt slapped. Ah, memories.
And note, WATCHING!
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Abbey on Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:22 pm

I'm American and still don't quite understand our rivalry with Canada. Here in Seattle, it's just a friendly rivalry, where we can make fun of their accents, customs, songs, food and flag. We claim to hate the damn Canadians but we all really love their quirks. But does anyone really know where it comes from....?
Abbey

Re:

Postby ben dover on Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:22 pm

in american and i have no problem with canadians, some of my very close friends are canadian...all they have to realize is that once the united states exausts its supply of trees in a few years...we are going to have to annex them.
ben dover

To the Seattle Native:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:48 am

Really beautiful city, was just there a couple of weeks ago, Pike's Market was fun, and I think that St. A's needs a "Cheesecake Factory"!
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:59 am

We have a 'cheese-cake factory'... DRH dining hall...

Oh, the memories...

[hr]Discourage in-breeding - ban country music!
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby rae on Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:47 pm

Weellll, from a Canadian view, the thing between Americans and Canadians is that its bloody annoying how little *some* Americans know about our country, considering we're right next door to each other. I work in tourism in the summer and, for example, real questions that I have gotten from Americans include: "Have you got the same moon there that we have in Vermont?" and this summer's top question--from a travel agent--"Can you take a ferry from Winnipeg [in the middle of the prairies] to Victoria [the extreme west coast]?". Now, I'm not saying ALL Americans are like this but some do tend to think that we are just an American colony. I imagine that the irritation that Canadians feel towards Americans is somewhat like the Scots and the English.

And by the way, the anthem is fantastic, especially when sun in both official languages and NOT to the tune of "O Christmas Tree..."
rae

Re:

Postby Phina on Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:05 pm

Rae, I imagine that the rivalry is slightly similar... though I don't feel any animosity toward the Scots even if they might toward me. Perhaps it is one sided? I don't think anyone could claim that the the same proportion of English or Scottish are as ignorant and inward looking as that of the American population- I'd be willing to bet 12p on it! Except possibly Jade- but now Graham Norton has educated her this country is saved. I do find it horribly shocking that people can have so little knowledge of the wider world. Including the President of the United States. Hopefully he's having lessons now... but unfortunatley not by anyone as witty (though possibly someone as annoying) as Mr Norton...

--- --- ---

Shamefully, I'll admit that I still can't tell the difference between an American and Canadian accent... though to me the 'nice' American accent always turns out ot be Canadian... except for Gayden's (girl from Mississippi (sp!!?) going into 2nd year) accent which is the best ever ... I could listen to her say 'Hey Y'all' all day...
Phina

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:11 pm

George W Bush has an extremely clever, gifted and competent advisor.

He is Professor Liebstrom.

[hr]It all depends what you mean by.....
Al

Re:

Postby Abbey on Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:53 pm

[s]Pilmour Boy wrote on 08:48, 29th Aug 2002:
Really beautiful city, was just there a couple of weeks ago, Pike's Market was fun, and I think that St. A's needs a "Cheesecake Factory"!

You went to Seattle? Yes, it is beautiful in the summer when there is no rain...What did you do here besides Cheescake Factory and Pike Place? ;)
Abbey

Seattle

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:22 am

I was only there for about 40 hours, visiting my NSSO (Not So Significant Other), so we mainly hung around in town, went up the Space Needle, the usual tourist things. Compared to the other US cities that I've seen (NY, Spokhampton) it really is amazingly clean, and really a beautiful city. I got stuck there for 24 hours after 9/11 last year, but didn't really get a chance to see much of the city, spent far too long in SeaTac and one of the Malls (South Centre I think it was called, could well be wrong). I can see why my NSSO wants to spend the rest of her life living there. However, I saw it on a sunny day, so my image may be totally wrong. My big regret is that I didn't get to see a Mariner's game while I was there, as that was one of my aims for this summer.
Pilmour Boy

More Seattle...

Postby Abbey on Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:44 pm

Coming in the summer is definitely preferable, though it is always a gorgeous city in my opinion. You didn't miss much by not going to a Mariners game- they haven't done anything all year...Oh, haha, what is meant by Not So Significant Other?
Abbey

Seattle

Postby Pilmour Boy on Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:20 pm

They haven't been THAT bad this summer. IMO, the big difference is that other teams have learnt how to deal with Ichiro, just look at how few bases he's stolen this year compared to last. They also are in dire need of a first class pitcher, Suzaki just doesn't quite cut it.
Now that it looks as if the strike's off, I think there should be Play Offs/World Series parties at some pub in St. A's. Dunvegan is owned by an American and has the SuperBowl party...
My NSSO is a girl who is sort of friend with privileges, and sort of girlfriend, but not really either, due to the usual reasons (mutual dislike of long distance relationships, etc.)
Pilmour Boy

A shameless Plug...

Postby M on Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:25 pm

Both for The Overseas Debate and PORTLAND, OR
Much better city, smaller and therefore friendlier, yet with all the cosmopolitan things of Seattle. Plus good, INDEPENDENT coffee shops.
I've spent lots of time in both ( and despite a slight birth bias) Truly believe Portland is a better city...

Anyway, that over, second shameless plug is for the Overseas debate.
Come and see if in fact all americans are hated
This House Believes America IS the Weakest Link
Sunday 16 September
Everyone is welcome and ITS FREE!

(sorry for the over use of caps)
:)
M

Re:

Postby Abbey on Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:25 pm

Ah, the friend with benefits, lol.

Actually, I think Sasaki, Hasegawa and Moyer are just about the only good pitchers. The real problem is Freddy Garcia... and the hitters. They need to come up with a new game plan, because everyone is copying what they did last year, and they're proving better at it.
Abbey

Mariners

Postby Pilmour Boy on Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:39 pm

I just knew that Suzaki was the wrong way to spell it! I bow down to your superior knowlege wrt baseball, all my stuff is obtained from watching them at work and reading the papers. Where abouts in Seattle is it that you're from? My boss here lives there during the winters, and I have a few colleagues/friends who go to school out there, mainly in Bellingham.
As to Portland, OR, I have to admit that I've heard a lot of good things about the place, but I've yet to see it myself. The one bad thing that I've heard about Portland is that it is expanding so rapidly, that a lot of the infrastructure and such has yet to catch up with the population growth.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Abbey on Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:33 pm

Well Ichiro's last name is Suzuki *like the Japanese car*. I actually am from Olympia, about an hour south- but I spend a lot of my time in Seattle doing plays and such.
Abbey

Olympia

Postby Pilmour Boy on Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:03 am

Home of that amazing beer:) I prefer Kokanee! If you see a random guy walking around St. A's in a Kokanee shirt, that's me. At moment I'm up in the Idaho Panhandle, at Priest Lake, and we get quite a few Canadians coming, and I really hate that fact that they have absolutly no tasted in alcohol (I'm a bartender, and a total Liquor Snob), and even worse, they have yet to learn that an acceptable tip is one >15%, and that people won't prostrate themselves naked for an amazing 6%! However, one of my best friends at St. A's is Canadian, and compared to some of the American we get (mainly the New Yorkers from Greenwich, CT) she's great.
OK, time to stop rambling, hungover and really tired, time to go and drink some more...
Pilmour Boy

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board