Home

TheSinner.net

Loan help please!!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Loan help please!!

Postby md394 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi!

I'm an American student in St Andrews. I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on loans. I'm finding it difficult to make ends meet, and would really appreciate the help of some form of student loan. My problem: My American bank will only offer a student loan paid directly to the University. I need money for rent for a non-university flat, so that doesn't work. I can't get a loan in Britain because I'm American. I'm with RBS and they won't even let me have an overdraft because I'm a foreign student.

Any information about loans or overdrafts for foreign student either here or in America, would be a big help!

Thanks!
md394

Re: Loan help please!!

Postby RedCelt69 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Contact Student Support, specifically (or especially) Joyce Lapeyre (jl5@st-andrews.ac.uk) as she's dedicated to financial matters. If they can't give direct support, they should be able to give excellent advice. You won't be the first US student with the exact same problem.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Re: Loan help please!!

Postby ELysistrata on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:00 am

No, contact Julie Campbell, as she is the person in charge of US federal loans for St Andrews students: usloan@st-andrews.ac.uk. Be aware though, e-mail replies are a long time coming. Possibly best to ring or get further information from the site below.

I guess that you haven't seen this page, but chances are probably good, if you can't afford rent, for instance, that you will be able to get a federal loan from the US Department of Education: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/mo ... sstudents/
St Andrews is recognised by them and has their own unique identifying number.
ELysistrata

Return to The Sinner's Main Board