Home

TheSinner.net

Got the lurgi?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Got the lurgi?

Postby Raindance on Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:20 pm

It's a great word isn't it?!

I'm currently suffering from the latest of St Andrews' colds. If anyone else is at this very moment cradling a Lemsip could they please post and let me know I'm not alone in my suffering.

Also, if anyone can think up any good illness related song titles in the style of Mark and Lard's 'cheesily cheerful chart challenge', it would cheer me up greatly if you could post them too! Here are two examples to get you started:

Feeder - Under The Weather
Witness - Quarantine
I'm only here because b3ta is broken.
Raindance

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:56 pm

Lurgee by Radiohead off of Pablo Honey
Sick As a Dog by Aerosmith off of Rocks (i think?)
Still Ill by The Smiths off of The Smiths
The Sufferer by Paradise Lost off of One Second

[hr]watches should have a smiley face because even if it's not time to be happy they can still make you smile
benedict

you're not alone

Postby ane on Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:30 pm

Hi! I have it too, apparently they call it the "fresher's flu"!!! As people come from abroad, everybody brings their own viruses, climate is different and so on and everybody ends up like that. I went to the health service today, met a friend's flatmate there who is sick and told me my friend has also felt sick since Saturday, so it turns out everybody has it! What you have to do is eat ice cream and take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, it'll be over soon! Be strong!
ane

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:59 pm

Nope, I think this is some extension to Freshers flu...I had that, think I'm getting current lurgae, and can assure you all the latter is far worse!
Kizzy

Its the plague!!!!!!!

Postby PurelySynthetic on Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:26 pm

Yeh its definately not just freshers flu (considering we've all been here 5 weeks anyway!). I think weve just mutated some super bug and its killing off both students and staff alike! I was in bed for 8 days solid but now thankfully its downgraded itself to just a majorly shit cold. And how useless are the doctors - the advice i got (after spending a week in bed) was to sleep and drink water!! Anyway everyone who's ill - get better soon!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:56 pm

That's the best advice they could have offered.
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Gatty Scumbelina on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:12 pm

I offer a friend's cold cure advice, which was given to her in Russia. Put on lots and lots of clothes, and put every blanket/coat you own on the bed. Down a large double of vodka, warmed with honey and retire to bed. Apparently you will feel awful for a night, then it'll be sweated out of your system. I've never tried it though and it sounds a bit dangerous.

The classic hot toddy is rather more safe. If you can stand the taste (or can't taste) lace it with cloves - they're both anti-septic and anaesthetic (I use them on mouth ulcers).

[hr]It is so difficult to make a neat job of killing people with whom one is not on friendly terms.
[s][i:2n708yoy]From the Real Life Quotelog: "Have you met our pheasant?"
[/s][/i:2n708yoy]
Gatty Scumbelina

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:15 pm

One of my friends is really keen on the whole "sweating out" thing, where is the attraction?! she gets any sort of cold, flu, belly trouble she sweats it out, and tells us to do it as well. i can't stand it!

[hr]"If you see a seven foot goose with trainers and a shotgun, avoid it!"
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:17 pm

dunno if i got the lurgi but i certainly got something.

[hr]...and there was much rejoicing.
...and there was much rejoicing.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby iohannes on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:43 pm

I got game
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:52 pm

According to the papers a certain student has a 'tropical disease'. Maybe we're all getting that.

[hr][s]"I say, Charles, don't you ever crave to appear on the front of the Daily Mail, dressed in your mother's bridal veil?"
[/s]
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:59 pm

yep see - the plague!!!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Gatty Scumbelina on Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:01 pm

[s]PurelySynthetic wrote on 22:59, 27th Oct 2003:
yep see - the plague!!!

Right - time to nail people into their rooms to die and paint big red crosses on the doors. Anyone want to give me a hand?

Unclean! Unclean!
[hr]
It is so difficult to make a neat job of killing people with whom one is not on friendly terms.
[s][i:2n708yoy]From the Real Life Quotelog: "Have you met our pheasant?"
[/s][/i:2n708yoy]
Gatty Scumbelina

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:01 pm

a tropical disease sounds so much more exciting than a regular cold...

/me invisions self sipping a pina colada in a hammock in bermuda surrounded by tissues

[hr]...and there was much rejoicing.
...and there was much rejoicing.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby Ashley on Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:24 am

I caught it, too. But it only lasted a day or so and involved me freezing even though I had 4+ layers on.

I now however have decided to be a little more individual in my complaints. I am now the proud sufferer of a completely blocked left ear. Here's to syringing! :P

[hr]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Ashley on Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:25 am

....and yes, you did need to know all that. :D

[hr]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:58 am

If I needed to know that I really really don't want to know what else I need to know.

[hr]"If you see a seven foot goose with trainers and a shotgun, avoid it!"
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby JonCore on Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:25 pm

I have some form of lurgie, but i'm not sure what it is yet. By my own diagnosis its either Tonsilitis, Glandular Fever, or Meningitis. Let's hope its not the latter.

Oh well, i'm sure I'll be fine...
JonCore

Re:

Postby Zen on Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:47 pm

I too have contracted the Plague!! Am attempting to save self from plague/flu/scurvy by drinking lots of orange juice and icky cough syrup stuff. Blergh
Zen

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:21 pm

I've felt totally exhausted for two weeks but my only symptoms during those 2 weeks were my very bad headaches.Now I have swollen glands and a chesty cough - how pants is that? It's definitely not flu or cold - I can deal with them. I'm assuming this is the sort of lurgi we are all on about on this thread? Or am I complete freak and developed something totally random?

Ah well....reading week almost here - I'm going home for some good food! yay!!
harmless loony

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board