Home

TheSinner.net

Why is Telnet Blocked?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Why is Telnet Blocked?

Postby Cinema on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

Anyone know why the uni blocks telnet connections? And is there a way around it?
Cinema

Re: Why is Telnet Blocked?

Postby lost_eden on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:18 pm

What do you even need telnet for? It is obsolete & insecure, anything that requires that sort of interaction should be using SSH instead. Incidentally, SSH is also blocked.
lost_eden

Postby Cinema on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Actually, SSH would work just fine too, but it might pose a problem for certain clients.

The purpose would be for MUDing. I can already do so at campus through a Flash client (so essentially through a proxy), but the Flash client is lacking in features. It is practically like MUDing on a telnet client! Haha!

Anyway, I'll add another discovery: it is an eduroam thing, because I'm currently in Ireland on eduroam and noticed it is blocked here too.

Probably for security, as you say, but why SSH as well then? I bet this is annoying for the Computer Science students.
Cinema

Postby lost_eden on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:14 pm

The Computer Science subnet has none of the restrictions that halls/eduroam do, so any CS students living in halls can just route all of their traffic via a machine in CS.

Students used to be able to request SSH access to one of the University's 'main Unix servers' if they had a legitimate reason. I'm not sure whether they still take such requests or whether they would consider MUDing to be a legitimate reason, but there would be no harm in trying.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/itsupport/n ... ixservers/
lost_eden

Return to The Sinner's Main Board