Home

TheSinner.net

is this a total contradiction in terms?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

is this a total contradiction in terms?

Postby Reg on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:54 pm

A girl claims that she is not a racist, yet she doesn't like 'black d**k' - isn't she contradicting herself here, because to say she isn't racist would mean it wouldn't matter who she would bed with - black or white.

Forgive me, but this came as a frightening shock after learning about one of my female friends and about who she would date. Sorry if this post seems crude, but would like to hear some views.
Reg

Re:

Postby Precious on Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:56 pm

Not sure. I see what you're saying, and why it could be seen as racist, but it could also be that this girl has a particular physical type which black men just don't fit.
Not that I'm excusing her comment, I'm just suggesting another way she could have meant it.

[hr]Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Precious

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:35 pm

I don't think that's particularly racist. It's one thing to treat someone as an equal regardless of race/creed/religion etc but I don't think you can possibly ask someone to find everyone equally attractive.

I know for a fact that I don't find all ethnicities equally attractive - does that make me some awful bigot? I don't think so.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:45 am

I'm not especially drawn to blondes either, but I don't dress up in a sheet and leave burning crosses on their lawn. Difference between personal preferences and bigotry. Perspective really. I've lost count of how many times I've been called an ageist for refusing someone much older than I am, for example. Fundamentally, if you're denying someone a right, a job etc on the basis of race, creed, age etc then you are an -ist. When its a matter of what one individual does or does not like, its personal taste.
exnihilo

prejudice vs preference

Postby luap on Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:38 am

Racism is discrimination or prejudice based on race.

"I don't like black dick" suggests that irrespective of the person it is attached to, or the size, shape and state of flaccidness of said dick, this girl would not like it, on the basis that it is black.

By contrast, if I said "I've never lusted after a black girl", I'm attempting to indicate that while although it hasn't hapened yet, I wouldn't rule it out on principle.

The question of how morality applies to racial prejudice in sexuality is a difficult issue, I'd say. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with it in itself, but I'd be concerned that it was indicative of an underlying racist attitude which would ultimately manifest itself in other areas of life where it might be less socially acceptable.

luaP
luap

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:52 pm

One might of course argue that the majority of people are to some degree are inclined to be more discriminating against people of other ethnicities/beliefs/creeds but consciously repress such behaviour as it is unacceptable.

But quite frankly, I think that if we're going to live in a society where one can no longer discriminate when choosing a potential partner (thus suggesting that in some way there is an equality and uniformity amongst all candidates - which there manifestly is not), that it's about time for a revolution.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:08 pm

If one is claimed to be not prejudiced then their choice of cock would be unconditional so long as it is human and live, but the minute you set conditions on it (disliking black or asian so and so), then in the tiniest degree there is an element of racism in them because you are not accepting so-and-so - with them half the time refusing to give a reason (underlying racist attitude).

I wonder how much racism there is in St Andrews - there is hardly any mixing, or anywhere for that matter (especially here at home where it is at its worst - home being London, that is); the Japanese/Asians always hang out in their groups as do the Americans, British and European in theirs, I never saw any mixing going on which gets me worried..considering i am a firm believer in Gene's vision for future that racism, along with greed (money), poverty and war, will be a thing of the past, as my man Picard says we would have then 'grown out of our infancy'.

[hr]
IMAGE:www.poster.net/aliens/aliens-i-want-to-believe-x-files-4000145.jpg
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:44 pm

We come once more to the difference between DISCRIMINATING and DISCRIMINATORY and the fact that the majority seem not to know there is one.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:32 pm

[s]exnihilo wrote on 18:44, 31st Dec 2003:
We come once more to the difference between DISCRIMINATING and DISCRIMINATORY and the fact that the majority seem not to know there is one.

well perhaps you would like to explain to us the difference, then..?
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:24 pm

My thoughts exactly. I know I can't be bothered using dictionary.com when someone could just tell me.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:54 pm

I think its more a matter of understanding the difference between attraction and racism. I'm not racist at all, growing up in a middle eastern country where 'whites' are in the minority taught me enough about equality and respect. But I dont personally find black people attractive on a physical level...and I don't feel I should be ashamed of that, I'm sure there are non-racist blacks who arent attracted to me too! (I only use the terms white's and black's as a way of differentiating the two for this discussion, to call me racist for calling them black wouldnt work, as im calling myself white!?!)

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Return to The Sinner's Main Board