Home

TheSinner.net

Boycott the KK(K) "Charity" Jazz Night

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:41 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:48 pm

CarolynSD

re:

Postby Peacemaker on Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:28 pm

I'm not sure what people's problems are with "yahs". Just because they've been brought up that way and in that lifestyle doesn't make them a bad person. And if people like yourself stopped being obnoxious and pathetic and went to such events then it wouldn't be full of "yahs". So a little common sense and less profound comments could expand your network of friends and make you a little social, instead of being a headbanging rock-cock.
Peacemaker

Re:

Postby tired of this on Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:29 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 18:25, 25th Feb 2004:
Ah yes, the KK and drugs dealers have sooooooo much in common - are we to be privy to the illegal and nefarious activities the KK partake of to perhaps justify that woeful analogy?

While I can understand that some people don't agree with the idea of an elitist club that doesn't allow female members, I'd think that there were a lot more pressing issues in the world.

So? Starving children with Aids in Africa is a more pressing issue than Bush wanting to ban gay marriages - does that mean we can't be unhappy about the latter?

And that's the thing about analogies, they are to illustrate a point not be factual. It's all in the mane really.

The point is, raising money for charity does not a good person make. There are more than few criminals who have been known to give money to charity but I doubt the police decided they were decent law abiding citizens for it.

The KK are discriminatory regardless of what they do or what they represent. Giving money to charity doesn't make them a bunch of little cherubs. If anything it is the posts that are flooding in telling people not to pick on them and not to dare ask how much they actually give to charity that is silly. If they pride themselves on giving money away then surely they would be delighted to reveal the exact amounts? Besides they are big boys and girls (well not the latter) and I'm sure they can fight their own battles by now.

And to be so childish as to presume that all those with a problem with the KK are rejected members or feminists is highly offensive and immature. If I had said that all defenders of the KK were being so defensive because they were so desperate to get in there would have been an outrage. Making wild assumptions to try and get those you disagree with to shut up is very depressing to read.

Everyone should stop being so childish and trying to make out they are doing God's work on earth or the like. People are entitled to an opinion, and unfortuanetely for the KK a lot of people just don't like the idea of them. I'm sure none of them will be crying in their sleep about this so perhaps people on here should lighten up as well.
tired of this

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:31 pm

when IS the jazz night? it's actually a quite a good event.

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:49 am

CarolynSD

Re:

Postby KateBush on Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:56 am

[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 18:05, 25th Feb 2004:[i]
Really, some people irritate me. So what if it is an elitist male club? And how many other clubs do so much for charity?

SVS and charities, Who let anyone join.
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:25 am

Well, the thread continues :(

I feel like i should organise a profitSoc, then see how many people i can fleece.

The KK accounts are none of our business, they give money to charity, great. They oragise events, great. They use the money for their own society puropses, so what. Other societies who do nothing for charity do the same and no one attacks them.

The male only issue - not an issue. Why is it such a problem that guys want to spend time with guys? It's not as if they actively go round the town persecuting females, is it? No, but the way this is going it won't be long before there are a bunch of people actively persecuting the KK and it's members.

As to the comment i made earlier about it being "just jazz" and the subsequent reply of "it's never just jazz.....its the whole package you buy in to / fund". When you go to an event by another society you are bying in to that and no one complains here, do they?

I'd also like to take the oppertunity to say that this thread should end here, the argument has been has before back in 2002 i believe, if anyone is that bothered, go look at what was said and stop dragging the same topic up over and over again.

Fianlly, why not have a vocal debate on the issue, see if the Debating Society is interested?

[hr]"Strangers passing in the street.....by chance two separate glances meet"
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:46 am

[s]CarolynSD wrote on 00:49, 26th Feb 2004:
[s]Unregisted User Peacemaker wrote on 18:37, 25th Feb 2004:[i]
So a little common sense and less profound comments could expand your network of friends and make you a little social, instead of being a headbanging rock-cock.

And I have never known Carolyn to headbang a rock-cock, or to rock a headbanging cock, or to cock a banging-head rock, or even to bang a heading cock-rock, or whatever it is that you are insinuating that she does.

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:32 pm

Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:27 am

while I dislike the Kate Kennedy Society, does anyone find it disturbing the title of this thread likens them to an organisation that murdered a lot of black people?

I think something should be done, but that sort of (although joking) connection is not a good way to go about criticising them :S

[hr]IMAGE:www.red-llama.com/avatars/eviltwintrooper.jpg IMAGE:www.red-llama.com/avatars/eviltwinsaint.gif IMAGE:www.red-llama.com/avatars/eviltwinold.gif

http://www.the-leaving.com
EviLTwiN

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:15 am

CarolynSD

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:01 pm

[s]CarolynSD wrote on 00:49, 26th Feb 2004:
[s]Unregisted User Peacemaker wrote on 18:37, 25th Feb 2004:[i]
So a little common sense and less profound comments could expand your network of friends and make you a little social, instead of being a headbanging rock-cock.

I have enough friends, though I am sure you are nice enough. I apologise if it was a bit over your head.

[/i]

This just sums up the ignorance of the elite in this university. You don't network friends, you network aquaintancies(SP?). Friends are not there for you benifit, you are there for theirs. It is mutually benificial. Networking is not a term given to such friendships. I wonder how many of your 'friends' actually like you.

[hr]
Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)

http://campushook.com/?pg=profile&u=7069
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:29 pm

[s]CarolynSD wrote on 08:15, 28th Feb 2004:
They honestly felt that they were bettering the community with their actions, and so did much of the South at the time of the Klan's inception.

I was just wondering - are you actually Southern?
S.L.G.

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:42 pm

CarolynSD

Re:

Postby probably ignored on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:00 pm

if this message gets through I will (pleasantly) surprised as I intend to citicise this website to a degree.

Firstly, an earlier point was made that this thread should be deleted as it was attacking people and that other threads had been discontinued/deleted for the same reason.

While I don't actually agree with this sentiment. I would like to say that there have been plenty of inflamatory threads based solely on attacking induviduals. I'm not going to get bogged down highlighting which ones.

What I will do though, is say that these induviduals tend to be those that the most common users of the Sinner seem to dislike/ have no respect for. Sometimes it's not only the regular users but also those in charge of the maintenance of the website that get involved in the campaigns of insults.

Again, without giving names, it might be said that as a trend, such people are often in the Club mentioned above.

Now while everyone deserves to held to account if in the public eye, there seems very much a level of hypocrasy over whose reputations are and aren't defended/ protected.

I hope that the webmasters of this website, of which I have been an observed for some time, can see this and if not agree with me, at least allow my opinion to be shared.

As for the KKC. It is true that previous years, the 1970's for example, were particualrily bad at drinking the profits (if any were made).

The past few May Balls lost money, some considerable amounts, and as such charity giveaways were muted.

Now however, I think it is true to say, and most club members would agree with me here I'm sure, that there is a new era of sensible management directed in the pursuit of actually making money to give away.

Whether or not the KKC is intrinsically a good thing is another matter and one I'm not prepared to comment on.

I would suggest though, that gazes are cast over certain other non-afliated societies within the student body.

Those that allededly damage hotel property and certainly damage the reputation of the University. Press coverage of the KKC outwith St Andrwews tends to be alright.

The latest I read was about something called the anything for money party. Ring any bells.
probably ignored

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:24 pm

Please! Can we stick to the issues?

These threads are getting bogged down with discussion of the personalities involved, rather than the principles at stake.

[hr]Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Pilmour Boy

Ahh the banter

Postby pete on Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:42 am

Having now left the university I occasionally look at this site to see what the burning issues of the day are in St Andrews. And I'm soo happy to see that nothing has changed - very St Andrews!

So what if the KK's all-male? Is it that much of a blight on your life that you have to devote all this time and effort to complaining about it? Don't you have work to do or want to go out to the pub instead of spewing you're views onto a website?

Oh and Carolyn Suchy-Dicey is talking crap when she say's the club was originally called the KKK. When did she become the Kate Kennedy club historian? It was never the 'Klan' as she seems to insinuate and I would like to see her produce proof of the club calling themselves the KKK. I know she can't.

I know that whilst a student it is all very well to sit and pontificate about what you perceive are the burning issues, points that need our attention if we are to call ourselves a civilised society. Sadly once you leave you will realise that such tedious 'debates' between parties who genuinely believe they are intelligent (despite the truth being on the contrary) are pointless. If you're feeling enlightened then by all means discuss serious public problems such as the war in Iraq, the right to privacy etc. But for God's sake get a grip guys. This debate is not even worth a footnote in the annals of St Andrews' history.

Oh and for those of you who want to reply saying 'but the exclusion of women is a serious gender issue that our society faces today' then think carefully. The re-alignment of women and men's prospects has been progressing for decades now - it is no longer a great ideaological battleground as the female of the species has had the issue raised and the imbalance is being redressed.

For god's sake guys just go outside, get some sunshine and discuss things with people face to face rather than this rather depressing faceless version of mental ping-pong.
pete

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:10 am

To return to the original point of the thread, last nights KK Jazz Night (this nights?) was absolutely superb. Congratulations to everyone involved, and especially to the band, who were superb.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:49 am

Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board