Home

TheSinner.net

File Sharing on Uni Network

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

File Sharing on Uni Network

Postby Guest on Tue May 04, 2004 3:55 pm

I've heard there's a way we can all access each others music files etc on the network. Can someone tell me how?!

Re:

Postby Penny Lane on Tue May 04, 2004 4:02 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 16:19, 4th May 2004:
I've heard there's a way we can all access each others music files etc on the network. Can someone tell me how?!

My computer used to be able to do this on resnet (I've since moved out of hall), and it was through itunes. I have a mac so this program is on my computer anyway, but I think you can download a pc version of it from the internet. I don't know if it's just within each hall or something though because there was only ever about 8 other people on it, so it definately wasn't the whole university!
Penny Lane

Re:

Postby Neferet on Tue May 04, 2004 5:14 pm

There's ways of seeing everyone on RESNet who are set up to let you look (and by the looks of it, many who have no clue they are sharing literally everything)....but isn't it one of those things that we don't talk about *nudge nudge, wink wink* etc?
Neferet

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Tue May 04, 2004 5:32 pm

file sharing isn't allowed on the university network, read your contract.
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby fairy on Tue May 04, 2004 6:26 pm

Oh file sharing isnt allowed on the university network, well done andrew, that doesnt mean to say that people dont do it so high and mighy one.
fairy

Re:

Postby luap on Tue May 04, 2004 9:38 pm

Hello, I'm a foreigner, so I don't know about the particulars of resnet, but I can comment on sharing your own files (say, for example 20GB of mp3's) over a computer network (say, the internet) without fear of being done over for copyright violations and stuff (say, gang-probing by the RIAA).

Personally, I run an apache webserver, and I've got my files in a directory which is only accessible via https, with a username and password. Even if someone who believes you're infringing their copyright (or computing services/whatever) gets hold of a username and password, then they can only see what's available on the box. They can't see individual requests for files without breaking a session key.

However, the files have to be downloaded, rather than accessed dynamically as with SMB, and its a bit more difficult to copy batches of files and stuff, so its lacking a bit of user-friendliness.

If you use a decent browser, you get 256-bit AES security, *and* you can use a URI of the form https://user:password@host *and* it'll even obey the content-type field.

/me kicks IE.
Piece of junk.
luap

Re:

Postby Admin on Tue May 04, 2004 11:04 pm

Sharing music files over the university network isn't allowed.

If you'd like to share your music, invite your friends round for a few drinks, and listen to your CDs whilst having a chat.
Admin

Re:

Postby iohannes on Tue May 04, 2004 11:12 pm

Yeah, that's actually social. You could cook steak. And have some parfaits. Everybody loves parfaits

[hr]http://www.crumble.org
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue May 04, 2004 11:50 pm

And anyone who doesn't like steak - isn't your friend.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Wed May 05, 2004 12:16 am

[s]fairy wrote on 19:26, 4th May 2004:
Oh file sharing isnt allowed on the university network, well done andrew, that doesnt mean to say that people dont do it so high and mighy one.

i'm not saying i don't do it... :p
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby Fraz on Wed May 05, 2004 12:52 pm

Edited by Admin - please don't use the Sinner to promote illegal activities.
Fraz

Return to The Sinner's Main Board