Home

TheSinner.net

What will you miss?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

What will you miss?

Postby Sleigh on Mon May 24, 2004 7:27 pm

Bit of a predictable thread this. It's mainly aimed at everyone who is graduating or leaving for the last time for whatever reason but I suppose anyone can answer. So what is it that you will miss most about this unique town in the North East neuk? Janetta's ice cream, late night showings, drinking yourself silly, gowns and other traditions or the joy of studying your chosen subject?

On the other hand you may be ready to leave this tiny town, with its lack of clubs, early closing times, claustrophobic nature or degree subject that you loathe.

[hr]Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Sleigh

Re:

Postby Wong on Mon May 24, 2004 7:29 pm

You already know what I'm going to miss. I'll be in Inverurie, with not a sign of a DDR machine for sixteen miles.

[hr]You would not feel sadness if you never tasted joy
That's the curse of humans - born in passion, you destroy
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Yemminie on Mon May 24, 2004 7:57 pm

I probably shouldn't post on this, because it's going to make me sad, but I'm avoiding revision, so here I go.

I'm going to miss being so close to the sea. I'm going to miss the weather (it's obscenely hot and humid where I come from). I'm going to miss the union, and especially the bop. I'm going to miss the pints of diesel. And Tesco sandwiches!! And cheesy chips! And I'm going to miss all of my nearest and dearest, all of whom I love more than I can say, and I'm going to miss going out and doing crazy (and drunken) stuff at a moment's notice. I'm going to miss British humour and actual wit. I might even miss my little room in Melville, but I'm not sure about that yet. I'm going to miss the pound coin - now that's proper money. It always makes me think of treasure. Really, I'm going to miss everything about this place. This has been the best year I've ever had, and it's crushing my soul that I have to leave.

But I'll be back. Somehow, someday, but I refuse to let this be the end.
Yemminie

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon May 24, 2004 8:33 pm

Everything.

It's been eight glorious, fantastic, wonderful, blissful years.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Mon May 24, 2004 10:24 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Mon May 24, 2004 11:15 pm

Eh, AndyD is leaving. Elron is staying.

[hr]Ah, I hate how nothing changes. Such a peaceful Earth should just collapse...
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Mon May 24, 2004 11:31 pm

I'll miss the twats - oh wait, I won't because they'll all still fucking be here!
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue May 25, 2004 6:13 am

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 00:15, 25th May 2004:
Eh, AndyD is leaving. Elron is staying.

Andy is staying for all/part of the summer to work in DRA again I believe.

I'm going to miss everything. I have lived here for two years now without going home. These 4 months will be the longest time I have been away. I have been assured of a bed if I ever want to come up and paint the town red but it won't be the same. I'll miss skiving from work at albany park on the beach in the sun. Skiving from work on the grass at Fife Park, and skiving from work watching TV in the new DRA blocks.(sound familiar Andy?)

I'll also miss my academic dad. He has just finished fourth year. He had a drunken sobbing session on saturday night about it.(He'll prob kill me for saying that.)

I really love this place. I'm sure I'll want leave come the end of fourth year, but for now I just can't see that far ahead.

Have a great summer everybody.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby tintin on Tue May 25, 2004 8:50 am

The Pier Walk after Chapel on Sundays.

The Haar (don't seem to have had any so far).

The sunsets in winter-time.

Being part of Scotland's First University.

People walking around in faintly ridiculous clothing, yet nobody bats an eyelid however bizarre their outfit is.
tintin

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue May 25, 2004 8:59 am

Although I will come back in September, I will be gone by February. I will really miss the Castle Ceilidh, May Dip, lovely English tutors (yes, all three of them), my academic kiddies, the beaches, the sunsets in summer.
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Precious on Tue May 25, 2004 8:51 pm

I'll miss being near the beach, and my friends (especially those who were in Uni Hall with me 2002-03).
I WON'T miss the claustrophobic atmosphere where everyone knows everyone else, because that gets to me sometimes. It's hard to cut all ties with particular people when just about everyone you know is linked to them in some way.
There are also some people I won't miss (flatmate - enough said!)
[hr]Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Precious

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue May 25, 2004 9:15 pm

When I go away for the summer i will miss people.

Not just the people that i know and love, but just people in general - i live in a village where everybody my age moved out when they left school.

I love how "busy" st anbdrews is, and how you can never walk more than ten paces without seeing somebody you know, whereas at home you can walk for miles without seeing somebody under the age of 50.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby tintin on Wed May 26, 2004 5:38 am

Addendum to the previous post: waking up to see the Cathedral ruins out of my bedroom window each day, with the sun blazing through (that is, when it's not raining!)
tintin

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Wed May 26, 2004 9:01 am

[s]Wong wrote on 20:29, 24th May 2004:
You already know what I'm going to miss. I'll be in Inverurie, with not a sign of a DDR machine for sixteen miles.

buy one?!?
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby lapis lazuli on Wed May 26, 2004 9:45 am

I didn't think that I would be that bothered about leaving after finishing my degree, but now that the time has come I'll be really sad to leave here. I'll miss the sense of community, the fact that we have everything we realistically need or want in a small area, especially two beautiful beaches. Who needs nightclubs? - you can find them anywhere. And although it does get claustrophobic, you can still get away from it all within St. Andrews itself, if you know where to go... I'll miss the friends I've made, and having to start again from scratch in a new place but I'm also looking forward to it.. I'll miss the fact that you can go for a night out and get drunk for a tenner and then toddle home in 5 minutes. (in Glasgow even my taxi home to the random village I live in costs a fortune...)

and I'm happy that I can leave with loads of great memories and bad photographs to prove it.

[hr]
yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes
[i:30c0hhg5]yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes[/i:30c0hhg5]
lapis lazuli

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed May 26, 2004 9:53 am

Where are you going that you can get drunk for a tenner in St Andrews?!

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby lapis lazuli on Wed May 26, 2004 9:56 am

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 10:53, 26th May 2004:
Where are you going that you can get drunk for a tenner in St Andrews?!

um... bit of a lightweight I'm afraid!
or frequent dodgier drinking establishments where not all drinks have to be paid for...

[hr]
yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes
[i:30c0hhg5]yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes[/i:30c0hhg5]
lapis lazuli

Re:

Postby Quentinfetishwoman on Wed May 26, 2004 10:09 am

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 00:31, 25th May 2004:
I'll miss the twats - oh wait, I won't because they'll all still fucking be here!

Speak for yourself.

[hr]
"Horror by definition is the emotion of pure revulsion. Terror by the same standard is that of fearful anticipation"-Dario Argento
"Horror by definition is the emotion of pure revulsion. Terror by the same standard is that of fearful anticipation"-Dario Argento
Quentinfetishwoman

Re:

Postby medea on Wed May 26, 2004 10:57 am

I was walking home from Aikmans the other night & it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't thought twice about making a 15 minute walk at 2 in the morning on my own (I'm a girl).

There's not a cat in hell's chance that I'd do that at home & it really made me appreciate how unique St Andrews is.

I'm off to sit by the sea and read a book now just because I can without looking like a tit.

I'm REALLY going to miss this place.
medea

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Wed May 26, 2004 2:01 pm

[s]Wong wrote on 20:29, 24th May 2004:

Hmmmmm... In that case, I challenge you to a game in Freshers' Week... :>

[hr]
"our very own Slobodan Milosevic"
- Saint Sal, first generation Sinner, 2001.
When you're down and out, just remember... you were the fastest sperm in your group once!!
http://www.marcobiagi.com
Marco Biagi

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board