Home

TheSinner.net

Love?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Abracadabra on Mon May 31, 2004 10:01 pm

[s]Unregisted User cockjockey wrote on 20:50, 27th May 2004:
Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being in love which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident

Is that from Captain Correlli's Mandolin? :)
Abracadabra

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Mon May 31, 2004 11:11 pm

party on
TheUnixKid

Love

Postby helenmcfad on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:54 am

Love is...a verb actually. It is something we do. If you love someone then love them - I know this sounds like a tautology but think about it. It is caring about another but not so much that your sense of worth disappears. My worry is that when folks see love as something magical that happens to them, then there is a sense that it is something outwith their control. Unfortunately too many battered or cheated-on spouses see love this way to their detriment. I guess the magical side of love has its place but not so that one person is taken advantage of or is never even going to be close to realising their potential while remaining in an unhealthy relationship. When love is good it has to be a two way relationship - both giving and both receiving to the extent that is acceptable to both parties with neither person being selfish. I know it doesn't sound very magical - but I think this kind of relationship is actually hard to find but once it is attained - there begins the magic?
helenmcfad

Re:

Postby pea on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:28 am

I have never ever been *in* love, but there are many people in this world that I love with all my heart. And even then, there are different types of love for different people. I love my family one way, my academic family another way, my friends at uni another way, my friends at home another way, and so on. These types of love are special enough and make me feel wonderful when I realise just how much I do love the people closest to me.

As for being *in* love with someone, well it's something I hope to experience one day. Thats not to say I want it immediatly, because part of living is experiencing, and these experiences have to involve being with someone and feeling something for them but not be in love with them. I'm not quite sure how to word that really...

I think we have to distinguish between loving someone and being in love with someone more though, as it seems that quite often it can get confusing when the terms are mentioned...

But yes, to reitterate some points, you just know when you're *in* love with someone.

[hr]I'm a little pea... I love the sky and the trees.
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
pea

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:12 pm

For all of those suffering under the burden of unrequited love, remember the words of Graham Greene: "We never get used to being less important to other people than they are to us."

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby iohannes on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:13 pm

It must have been love, but it's over now. It was all that I wanted and now I'm living without.

[hr]That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby jennyo on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:33 pm

[s]iohannes wrote on 14:13, 1st Jun 2004:
It must have been love, but it's over now. It was all that I wanted and now I'm living without.

funny, I never had you down as a Roxette fan...

[hr]
We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here, and we want them now. -- Withnail and I
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Re:

Postby iohannes on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:37 pm

No, I'm not a fan but I do know the song. And the words seemed apt.

iohannes

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:43 pm

Am I the only person who thinks that iohannes and jennyo should stop flirting on message boards and start flirting in real life?

go out for a drink together, or invite the other out to the movies.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:15 pm

Only if they kiss and tell :D

[hr]Ah, I hate how nothing changes. Such a peaceful Earth should just collapse...
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:20 pm

I like the way the Ancient Greeks had it. They had several different terms for love. I can't remember them all and the Internet has several different lists, but the common ones, Agape, Storge, Eros and Philia are used to describe different kinds of love.

Maybe we all have a different idea of what love is.
veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
grousefanatic

love

Postby Guest on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:23 pm

love is....a verb. Yes it is. It is something we do - think about it. It absolutely is not a magical something or other that we cannot do anything about. Unfortunately too many battered spouses have seen love this way to their detriment. Too many folks are addicted to something they think of as love and never realise their full potential as they remain with someone who is no longer a suitable partner - but it's love right? If you think you love someone then love them. I know it sounds like a tautology but give it some thought. Love is actively caring about another but not to the extent that you lose your self respect. Obviously love will feel different to many people and of course one person cannot define love for the masses. My worry is that people get stuck on the romantic, magical side of love (which has its place) but don't listen to their inner voice telling them that maybe you shouldn't put up with so much crap from another (if that is the case) or maybe that you two are not suitable though you can't say why exactly. Hmm what do I think love is? Love is what you make it and what you put up with.

love

Postby sam on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:25 pm

Oh yeah! Or is it in his face?)
No girls! It's just his charms!
(In his warm embrace?)
No girls! That's just his arms!
If you wanna know
If he loves you so
It's in his kiss!
(That's where it is!)
Yeah! It�s in his kiss!
(That's where it is!)

Oh, oh, oh, hold him,
Squeeze him tight!
Find out what you wanna know!
Promise love, and if it really is,
Well, it's there in his kiss!

(How 'bout the way he acts?)
No no no! That's not the way!
You're not listenin' to all I say!
If you wanna know
If he loves you so
It's in his kiss!
sam

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:43 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 10:47, 26th May 2004:
How do you know when you're in love, or when somebody loves you?

When they don't let you down, and when they give as much as they take. When you can genuinely believe that they love you to the moon and back.
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby iohannes on Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:21 pm

Like walking in the rain and the snow when there's no-where to go, when you feel like a part of you is dying, when you're looking for the answer in her eyes.

iohannes

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:36 pm

[s]grousefanatic wrote on 16:20, 1st Jun 2004:
I like the way the Ancient Greeks had it. They had several different terms for love. I can't remember them all and the Internet has several different lists, but the common ones, Agape, Storge, Eros and Philia are used to describe different kinds of love.

Maybe we all have a different idea of what love is.

C.S. Lewis wrote "Four Loves", which also approaches love in that sort of direction. It's quite interesting, and reading something that somebody had written using that book really made me think about what love is.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby iohannes on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:03 pm

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you
I know you were right, believing for so long
I'm all out of love, what am I without you?
I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong.

iohannes

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:20 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby Chwistian on Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:04 pm

"the greatest thing you'll ever learn
is just to love and be loved in return"

ganz oder gar nicht, as the germans might say.
Chwistian

Re:

Postby jennyo on Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:13 pm

[s]Cain wrote on 15:43, 1st Jun 2004:
Am I the only person who thinks that iohannes and jennyo should stop flirting on message boards and start flirting in real life?

go out for a drink together, or invite the other out to the movies.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain

I obviously should start checking the message boards more often...how could I have missed this?

[hr]
We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here, and we want them now. -- Withnail and I
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board