Home

TheSinner.net

Laptops

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Laptops

Postby HOCKEY on Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:13 am

Is it necessary to have ones own laptop at university? Or indeed,is there space in the rooms in halls for a PC?
Thanks very much.
HOCKEY

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:54 am

You don't need a computer of your own - there are plenty of computer labs - but it can be a hassle not having one. As for laptop vs. desktop, it really depends which hall you're in, as the available space can vary wildly.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby iohannes on Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:23 pm

I have a desktop and I have had no problems with space. However, certain halls insist you empty your room at ALL holidays. This can be very annoying if you have a big desktop. In that respect I would recommend a laptop, they are much more versatile and nowadays much cheaper and better value for money then they used to be.

[hr]That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:37 pm

Yes, I have to say that laptops are £ for £ much better value than they used to be. Although I'd say that unless you're in a shared room, a desktop is perfectly feasible and even then - it depends where you're sharing.

[hr]Ah, I hate how nothing changes. Such a peaceful Earth should just collapse...
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:03 pm

I've survived the last two years without my own computer/laptop. But thats partly due to how few essays I've had to do. The hall computer rooms on the whole aren't bad and the computer labs are even better.

First year in a relaxed subject is fine without a computer. I'm definitely getting a computer/laptop for third year though.

I also find it easier to work away from my room so it depends on where you like working as to whether to get your own computer/laptop.
Midget

Re:

Postby naomi :) on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:14 pm

i've already got a laptop (lovely 18th bday pressie from my godparents who didn't need another one...) do i need any special stuff for using it on the uni network? Prehaps a network card or something? And how would that internet thing work?
naomi :)

Re:

Postby iohannes on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:22 pm

The internet doesn't work. It only makes you stupid.

[hr]That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:25 pm

[s]dunqn wrote on 14:08, 2nd Jun 2004:
Or, if you want to be a total ponce, get a desktop pc and a lightweight notebook, and you can go about your hall or even sit outside and use the internet ;)

I did that. And then I bought a 30m cable so I could sit at the bottom of my garden and surf in the sun. And how many times did I use it? Once.

[hr]
http://www.savetheworld.co.uk - help stuff, win stuff.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:33 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 14:25, 4th Jun 2004:
[s]dunqn wrote on 14:08, 2nd Jun 2004:[i]
Or, if you want to be a total ponce, get a desktop pc and a lightweight notebook, and you can go about your hall or even sit outside and use the internet ;)

I did that. And then I bought a 30m cable so I could sit at the bottom of my garden and surf in the sun. And how many times did I use it? Once.

[hr]
http://www.savetheworld.co.uk - help stuff, win stuff.
[/i]

I went down the wireless route. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes being able to surf without being bothered about the tether.

Oh, and also a plug for the union. The main bar will have wireless access from pretty soon.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:51 pm

.11g, with access/encryption being controlled by your university login and password.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:04 pm

I was (am) in a flat with dial-up, so to make it wireless was too expensive!

[hr]http://www.savetheworld.co.uk - help stuff, win stuff.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Wong on Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:45 pm

Naomi - you need to be able to connect via an ethernet cable. Every computer should have this, with the exception of my really dismal old laptop from about 1995.

Then it's just a matter of signing up with ResNet when you get here, and it should work, then crash horribly every other week, shakily work, crash, then go up again.

[hr]You would not feel sadness if you never tasted joy
That's the curse of humans - born in passion, you destroy
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Return to The Sinner's Main Board