Home

TheSinner.net

Dylan in St Andrews!!!!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby badly over drawn boy on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:28 pm

I'm sorry but I just don't get how people can be so excited at being in the same room as a 'celebrity'.
In the case of Sir Trevor, he was a good newsreader, but how on earth does that merit being rewarded by an academic institution. I might be able to understand if the person had given the university a heap of money which helped further scholarship, but what have these people actually done?
[/i]

Apart from from constantly producing excellent albums from for almost 40 years, redefining music and influencing countless bands, Dylan brought to light through his songs important political thought against factors such as War(Masters of War) and the wrongful imprisonment of Ruben Hurricane Carter (Hurricane ).

Why not give him a degree. Most degrees take four years to complete. He's been working hard for his almost Forty.

s boogie woogie woo woo i like cheese muff
boogie woogie woo woo i like cheese muff
badly over drawn boy

Re:

Postby iohannes on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:25 pm

Or it could be because a member of the English department has just written a book about him...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 42-8259814

[hr]That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby jennyo on Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:36 am

Does anyone know who's getting honorary degrees on Thursday morning?

[hr]If you can't be a good example, you'll have to be a horrible warning
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:13 pm

It has already been mentioned that Prof. Corcoran is a Dylan scholar and that he most probably nominated the man for the degree. He didn't just write a book about Dylan, he edited a collection of essays on Dylan.

It's pretty stupid to get excited about attending the same ceremony as him - and I don't understand the desperate desire to get a ticket to a graduation ceremony just to glimpse the man. I doubt anyone would be willing to give a ticket from one of the most important events in their life to a stranger rather than someone who has helped/supported them during their studies.
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby badly over drawn boy on Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:17 pm

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 15:13, 17th Jun 2004:
It has already been mentioned that Prof. Corcoran is a Dylan scholar and that he most probably nominated the man for the degree. He didn't just write a book about Dylan, he edited a collection of essays on Dylan.

It's pretty stupid to get excited about attending the same ceremony as him - and I don't understand the desperate desire to get a ticket to a graduation ceremony just to glimpse the man. I doubt anyone would be willing to give a ticket from one of the most important events in their life to a stranger rather than someone who has helped/supported them during their studies.

Shut it tea boy

[hr]
badly over drawn boy

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:27 pm

Fuck you bar boy - anyway I quit.
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby beddy teddy on Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:20 pm

So who decides who gets these honorary degrees?

Saw a typically smug comment from Brian Lang in The Sun today- grrrr!
beddy teddy

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:44 pm

[s]beddy teddy wrote on 16:20, 17th Jun 2004:
So who decides who gets these honorary degrees?

The University Senate has to approve the awarding of all degrees, honorary or otherwise.

We meet tomorrow.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:03 pm

[s]beddy teddy wrote on 16:20, 17th Jun 2004:

And for those of us who don't read the sun that would be what exactly...?

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:43 pm

Just guessing but probably something like "I'm great giving people these degrees."

[hr]Ah, I hate how nothing changes. Such a peaceful Earth should just collapse...
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby cherryblossomgirl on Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:56 am

I just read the NME website! It's so cool that Bob Dylan is getting an honorary degree from St Andrews! He is one of the best and most influential musician! And I don't care what anyone says about celebrates, HE'S THE COOLEST!
cherryblossomgirl

Re:

Postby badly over drawn boy on Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:36 pm

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 15:27, 17th Jun 2004:
Fuck you bar boy - anyway I quit.

penfold says hes going to quit aswell, who the fuck am i going to be left with to go out for a post work pint with

Nobjockeyboy

[hr]
badly over drawn boy

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:51 pm

Just meet up with people in the Union afterwards you donut punching bastard - unless you're too scared to walk there in the twilight that is the summer night.
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:02 pm

i heard that dylan's refused the degree. i dunno if it's true but i was told by someone on the university staff that he's refused it cos he said he'd only accept if they didn't publicise it. and they have. so he must be pissed off. No one can verify if this is 100% true or not though.
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby badly over drawn boy on Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:40 pm

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 01:51, 19th Jun 2004:
Just meet up with people in the Union afterwards you donut punching bastard - unless you're too scared to walk there in the twilight that is the summer night.

Ok exteaboy
[hr]
badly over drawn boy

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:32 pm

[s]KateBush wrote on 16:02, 19th Jun 2004:
i heard that dylan's refused the degree. i dunno if it's true but i was told by someone on the university staff that he's refused it cos he said he'd only accept if they didn't publicise it. and they have. so he must be pissed off. No one can verify if this is 100% true or not though.

I might actually develop some respect for this Bob Dylan if this indeed true, though I dont think he should've even considered the thing at all
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby The Cellar Bar on Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:30 am

given that the likes of Tim Rice and his mate have already been honoured for services to music by the University - if memory serves - "this" (?) Bob Dylan is probably one of the more deserving candidates for an Honorary Degree in Music.

40 years of work and an undeniable, hugely extensive influence on the development of modern music isn't too bad a contribution and it's - happily - irrelevant that some might feel that he doesn't deserve it even tho' they palpably don't know what the man has achieved and what his name means across the world.

Why is it that this can be reduced to the notion that it's the ego of a member of staff that's driven this - presumably with the cynicism involved that it will help his book sales - when these things are routinely doled out to others who have done less but inhabit the "right" circles to become "Buggins" this time around.

Or more ridiculously, that a thread on some non-entity dreg by the name of Coolio should excite so much interest at the same time?
The Cellar Bar

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:36 pm

I'm actually having a go at the whole 'honourary degree' system, i hate it. There are better ways to decorate people (dont they have enough award ceremonies as it is?).
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby The Cellar Bar on Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:11 pm

I'd agree - the "Buggins" turn routine. Appear often enough on "suitable" BBC programs and pretty soon you're gonna find yourself right up there with Fay Wheldon and others smiling into cameras at University ceremonies.

I don't think this is a case of some "cool" staff "dude" trying to ingratiate himself or make a mark by proposing Dylan for an award. Or the University even trying to come across as "traditional/stuffy but wired into what the rest of the world is doing". Dylan has made a massive, inestimable contribution to modern music in the past 40 years and it's inventive and imaginative that he should be at least offered this recognition. Others would include Brian Wilson and (unfortunately, posthumously) Frank Zappa. Rather than some chump like the ever present Macartney for instance.
The Cellar Bar

Re:

Postby badly over drawn boy on Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:49 pm

Its about time the University got recognised for bieng involved with a respectable "celebrity" such as Dylan other than the tedious media infatuation with Prince Willy.

Here he is on a beach

Here he is in a shop

Here he is playing fucking rugby

St Andrews may gain some academic respect back rather than bieng known as a haven for overly rich Ya's and girls who would walk the catwalk to be the next princess.

Jonny is in the basement
badly over drawn boy

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board