Home

TheSinner.net

hamilton's new warden??

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

hamilton's new warden??

Postby agatha on Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:20 am

I have recently heard that Hamilton has a new warden beginning in Sept. Does anyone know anything about him/her? And, are they likely to be as infamous as the warden from a couple of years ago, of whom I've heard a great deal... Plus, what's Hamilton supposedly like?
agatha

Re:

Postby smeagol on Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:42 am

Hamilton's new warden is called Mickey Klink, or so I'm led to believe. He was a tutor of mine in my first year. If it's him, then he's a lovely bloke, but sadly no one will ever match the legendary Shane Bonetti, at least in my eyes. Hamilton's a really nice place to live, and there's a nice mix of older students with first years so it's good for finding academic parents/children. However, for the past two years it's been fairly quiet - I think Hamiltonians are known for being studious. All the students are friendly and there's quite a good hall spirit. This next year should be good as the new Senior Student is excellent. All the rooms are amazing, especially first year rooms, and the food isn't too bad. Look forward to next year and count yourself lucky if you've got a room in Hamilton.
I'm playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order.
smeagol

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:48 pm

Look forward to next year and count yourself lucky if you've got a room in Hamilton.

Wow, now I'm really excited. just got my acceptance into Hamilton last week. thanx!

Re:

Postby richey on Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:31 am

Hello soon-to-be Hamiltonian! I agree with everything Smeagol says....Hamilton is great to be in (I am returning for my third year in Hamilton next year) Be glad you are going to be part of the Hamilton family!

And you will be on Smeagol's good side if you are a fan of Bolton Wanderers, lol!
richey

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:06 pm

Does anyone know who the new senior student of Hamilton is for 2004-5??

Re:

Postby fern_britten on Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:50 pm

The Senior Student for 2004-2005 is Alice Sweet. She will be fabulous!
fern_britten

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:50 pm

[s]fern_britten wrote on 16:50, 4th Jul 2004:
The Senior Student for 2004-2005 is Alice Sweet. She will be fabulous!

You only get one senior student? Is that unusual or is it unusual in the halls that have two?

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:00 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 16:59, 4th Jul 2004:
You only get one senior student? Is that unusual or is it unusual in the halls that have two?

some halls have a senior student with a deputy to help them out. it all depends on what the hall committee wants to do, as they're pretty autonomous.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:01 pm

Yes, there is no generic constitution for halls of residence - they all have their own slightly different ones, some less than perfect.

David Bean lamented to me that the Melville constitution wasn't even complete.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:18 pm

[s]Cain wrote on 20:00, 4th Jul 2004:
[s]Unregisted User wrote on 16:59, 4th Jul 2004:[i]

some halls have a senior student with a deputy to help them out. it all depends on what the hall committee wants to do, as they're pretty autonomous.
[/i]

Some have two senior students, one female and one male and they do the same amount of work. I think that sounds more fair than having one or having one and a deputy though I suppose it depends how busy the committee is.

For example Uni Hall has 2 senior students, one male and one female, and that committee puts on the most events of any hall.

However as with most committee's where the hall subs are around £50 it's not a great system as most of the money could be spent on things you make no use of, like cheap vodka that makes you spew and the committee can be very unwilling to change the events from year to year, meaning if you are third, fourth or even a second year you might not fancy going to any. Unfortunately the chance of rectifying this with potential refunds or buying tickets to events etc instead of an upfront fee will be lost as hall subs are to be included in your rent payments :/

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:00 pm

Hall subs are a good thing, obviously not everyone is going to get quite the same benefit from the parties and over stuff they are used for, but some of the stuff eg newspapers everyone can benefit from. Organising free/cheap parties with free alcohol is a very very good way of getting everyone to know each other and to be fair in your quest for friends and a social life you ought to at least try out your hall first before moving further a field. If you are an more senior student surely you want to get to know the freshers, think about it they're naive and impressionable, whether your after love or sadism hall parties with free alcohol are definitely worth a visit particuarly later on in the evening.

The free alcohol isn't to get YOU drunk...
Midget

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:52 am

[s]Midget wrote on 00:00, 5th Jul 2004:
Hall subs are a good thing, obviously not everyone is going to get quite the same benefit from the parties and over stuff they are used for, but some of the stuff eg newspapers everyone can benefit from. Organising free/cheap parties with free alcohol is a very very good way of getting everyone to know each other and to be fair in your quest for friends and a social life you ought to at least try out your hall first before moving further a field. If you are an more senior student surely you want to get to know the freshers, think about it they're naive and impressionable, whether your after love or sadism hall parties with free alcohol are definitely worth a visit particuarly later on in the evening.

And what about those who do not drink? Is it really fair for them to spend so much on others getting drunk? Or those who are not single and have no wish to get people drunk, or if you're not into the party scene because of stupidly high workloads....the list is endless, but needless to say there is a significant minority of people where they are just effectively giving their money to other people never to be seen again, which is hardly fair.

However, there are numerous threads on the subject. My opinion is just that considering there are those who feel their money is being wasted, their thoughts should be taken into account rather than cast aside because they are few in number.

Re:

Postby James on Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:52 am

wow, its great to read this thread. i hadn't found any posts about hamilton before this, but now i'm really looking foward to next year. oh yeah, can anyone tell me where 10A is?
James

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:52 am

[s]Midget wrote on 00:00, 5th Jul 2004:

Point is that it isn't "free".

Re:

Postby Oli on Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:41 am

The organisers of the party should be catering for those who aren't drinking as well.
Obviously this means more than buying a bottle of coke or a carton of juice.
Oli

Re:

Postby richey on Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:40 am

Unregistered user James- I know where 10A is.... it was MY room in first year! It is located on the first floor and is a huge room with a high ceiling...and it has a fantastic view of the 18th green of the golf course. It is a great room! Ps I am female, in my year first floor was female, but now it is a male floor. I am going to be in 3rd year when I return to St.As and I will be returning to Hamilton. Will see you in September!
richey

Re:

Postby Mr Valensi on Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pm

Does anyone know if the regents room is being occupied next year by resident students... or is it free! ..free as a bird and therefore available to all students in hall. woo. And yes, it does make a change to see Hamilton mentioned on this site... well done agatha.
'Is there a little girls room around here?'
'oui, oui madame.'
'Oh no, I just need to powder my nose.'
Mr Valensi

Re:

Postby Spanky on Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:16 pm

I'm in Hamilton too- It sounds like a really nice place to be! And what is Eden Court...is it part of Hamilton?
Spanky

Re:

Postby richey on Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:57 pm

I have no idea if the Reagents Room is being occupied next year...I hope not! It was empty in my first year, and was a great place to study/dance/play/drink/hang out, but last year it had guys in it. It all depends on if they accept too many people in the university again and are desperate for spaces in hall.
richey

Re:

Postby smeagol on Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:16 pm

To unregistered user Spanky - firstly, interesting name, I'm sure you'll get on with Hamiltonians! Well done for getting a place in Hamilton, it seems that they're quite rare. Eden Court is part of Hamilton, it's a big white building about 2 minutes walk away. Residents of Eden Court eat their meals in Hamilton and they're affiliated with Hamilton in every way. A lot of my friends were in Eden Court in first year and it had an excellent spirit. There's only about 20 students, mainly first years though, and everyone seems to get on brilliantly. The rooms are huge and have amazing views. You're very lucky if you've got a room in Eden Court.
I'm playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order.
smeagol

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board