Home

TheSinner.net

A final post...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

A final post...

Postby comrade on Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:11 pm

Due to the mind-numbingly level of boringness and the unacceptable levels of censorship which have recently blighted this site. I, S.P.I.G, have decided to abandon a lost cause. No longer shall I post under any username. No longer shall I strive to reinvigorate a fountain of creativity and diverse opinion which has grown stagnant. A once interesting site which welcoming freedom of thought and speech has died, and now the diseased corpse rejects all that is fresh. Soon every word you post will be converged upon by the mass of writhing maggots that infest the bloated body of a once magnificent beast, searching for any morsel that does not conform with their "values" in order to reject it and wallow within the filth that has become their home.

Viva la revolution! Life needs change.
comrade

AGREED

Postby 5handicapgolfer on Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:40 pm

who are the people that get to moderate the site and who chooses them?
isnt this a site by the students for the students?
5handicapgolfer

Re:

Postby nova on Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:56 pm

Yes, things have got a little less fun around here recently. Never really one for controversial posts myself, but there does seem to be too much sensorship these days.

[hr]"I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein and shot billiards with a midget until the rain stopped."

Tom Waits.
nova

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:58 pm

Oli chooses them, the site is run by Oli for those with some interest or attatchment to the university.

Really SPIG - I didn't think you were such a drama queen. I've been around the Internet for a long time and people say things along the lines of what you've said all the time. It's soon forgotten.

That said, it's a shame your ascerbic wit will be lost but then, I'm sure that you'll find other outlets for it :D
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Mod on Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:18 pm

As troll activity rises so must censorship. Would you rather have 50 pages of spam or the occasional deleted post? Everyone is entitled to free speech. However if it's pointless spam then it's annoying to practically everyone. Would you rather everything the past few trolls have posted just keep coming back, time and time again, littering the board?
Mod

Re:

Postby Mod on Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:19 pm

Oh hilarity, you can't vote for the first option.
Mod

Re:

Postby Admin on Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:32 am

Problem fixed. Voting now available.
Admin

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:28 pm

If troll activity *is* rising, then surely it is sensible to ask why. Could it not be that the recent heavy-handed approach merely encourages them? After all, they are only after a response.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:56 pm

[s]Mod wrote on 18:18, 27th Jul 2004:
As troll activity rises so must censorship. Would you rather have 50 pages of spam or the occasional deleted post? Everyone is entitled to free speech. However if it's pointless spam then it's annoying to practically everyone. Would you rather everything the past few trolls have posted just keep coming back, time and time again, littering the board?

No need to be obtuse.

Re:

Postby Kibet on Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:30 pm

thats right, no need to be obtuse when you can be a cute angle :D
Kibet

Re:

Postby Wong on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:14 pm

Well, goodbye to you too, Spig.

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:40 pm

[s]Kibet wrote on 20:30, 28th Jul 2004:
thats right, no need to be obtuse when you can be a cute angle :D

non Angli, sed angeli.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:50 pm

spamming: uncool.
the occassional outrageous post along the lines of "Ah, I know, let's just burn the bastards!": fine and sometimes funny.

And should correcting someone else's grammer then be considered spamming? It is annoying to most of the readers of the board. It's like a troll who corrects others instead of saying somethign nonsensical. At least the second doesn't get the thread off topic.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Wong on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:29 pm

[s]Bonnie wrote on 21:50, 28th Jul 2004:
And should correcting someone else's grammer then be considered spamming?

Grammar! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

[hr]
Wong

Re:

Postby benedict on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:47 pm

'And should correcting someone else's grammer then be considered spamming?'

i think if it's done with a sense of style it's fine.

if it's part of your character & is done in a charming enough way then i'd be happy to see it. if it's simply annoying, distracting & offensive then it's not so good. all matters of opinions on the whole i'd imagine though.

as for the revolution stuff, i found it quite amusing regardless of the point behind it. in 2 years of looking over site i'd not seen anything like it & if i had been moderating i would've let it pass. it didn't interfere with the order of posts if memory serves correct.

if it's done once & is original then i'd view it as a kind of art & let it stand. if it's done twice & it becomes dull & annoying, then i'd perhaps regard it as unnecessary. another matter of opinion perhaps, but i would like to see moderators have enough leeway to recognise some humour, originality & genuine character.
benedict

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:52 pm

I fail to see how posting 'Viva La Revolution' on every thread on this bulletin board provides either comic relief or earth shattering social change. Instead it demonstates a terminal boredom that at this stage of the summer I can readily identify with. The pidgeon English of randy goat fucker was funny though, it reminded me of a drunk and agressive Manuel out of Faulty Towers.
Humphrey

Re:

Postby disgruntled on Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:00 pm

I am just wondering what constitutes a "Troll". And what gives one person the right to call another a troll.
Does the person that is name calling have a superiority complex over such people as i have yet to see an interesting thread on this site.

Examples include the Boob Job thread (Yawn). The Big brother thread (Yawn) and the Computer Baddies thread (Yawn).I would go on but i am boring myself.

I know i will probably not get this comment through Admin, because of the growing authoritarian regime, where any adverse reaction towards the sinner is banned, but if i do "Wahay".

And Prophet Tennisball, are you as annoying in the flesh as you are in this site.
disgruntled

Re:

Postby Haunted on Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:49 pm

go start your own messageboard then
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:48 pm

I don't know Disgruntled - are you as much of an idiot? Although don't think I'm not deeply touched by your quick and witty insights!

If it helps, you are what people might call a troll.

And as Haunted suggests - if things are *so* to your disliking, toddle off and have a jolly good time elsewhere.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:19 pm

[s]Unregisted User disgruntled wrote on 23:53, 28th Jul 2004:
I am just wondering what constitutes a "Troll". And what gives one person the right to call another a troll.

Basically, if your username is "lsq" then you have the right to call any- and everyone a troll.

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 17:48, 29th Jul 2004:
If it helps, you are what people might call a troll.

Really? Why? I thought it was a reasonable question.
Anon.

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board