Home

TheSinner.net

what a waste

STAR fm - The University of St Andrews Radio Station! Post your comments about our shows on here, and request tracks!You'll need to be logged in though, to make sure your messages get through straight away.Listen online at http://www.standrewsradio.com

what a waste

Postby Anonymous/b on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

srsly, wtf was going on at starfields? it was the most pathetic attempt at a music festival i've ever witnessed - i'd demand my twenty quid back but that would remind me of the 7 hours of my life i wasted tryin 2 have fun at ur fetid skank-pit of a circus tent.

maybe the organisers could try jumping of the pier next tiem? only they should try harder than they did @ starfields
Anonymous/b

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:40 pm

I didn't go. What was so bad about? Most people seem to say it was good.

Was it just "bad for the amount it cost"? Or did it actually really suck?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Anonymous/b on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:56 am

maybe the starfields organisers were spiking the drinks with morphine every five minutes because everybody seems to be wandering around in a general post-friday malaise saying how much of a wonderful night it was but personally i though it was absolutely shocking. yes, the cost was dreadfull but i wouldn't have paid a fiver for the same gig. i managed to spend the same amount as a starfields ticket last night and got to dundee and back and saw mister scruff, arguably the best night out in the area since blacked out 2005.

let's face it people, st-andrews isnt cool, that's why all the best parties are OUT OF TOWN! apart from finishing at midnight - shocking, this is when a party should just be getting started - asking hedkandi and ministry to play was a big mistake. one thing i've always liked about st-andrews is the lack of really cheesy nights (bop-excluded) and now was not the perfect time to start.

splitting the main tent into two smaller ones would have been a much better idea - one for bands (which were pretty good realy, but not long enough or late enough to get the attention they deserve) and one for some decent dance music (i'm sure could have got any of the really crackin smaller nights from edinburgh/glasgow to send their dj's up to play for half the fee). a better site would have meant that the party could have gone one longer and that people in halls nearby wouldn't have been disturbed.

i stayed the entire night for two reasons - i didn't want to waste the twenty squids i forked out for a ticket and i thought that maybe the music might get better towards the end. i fulfilled neither of these objectives. most of my friends left after the first hour of ministry and didn't bother coming back - they had the right idea.
Anonymous/b

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:21 am

I'm wondering just why you bought a ticket. You must have known which acts were booked to play.
Al

Re:

Postby Anonymous/b on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting Al from 11:21, 21st Oct 2007
I'm wondering just why you bought a ticket. You must have known which acts were booked to play.

cuz all friends were going and didn't fancy thursday nite alone
Anonymous/b

Re:

Postby maybebaby on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 pm

I adore clubbing and figured starfields would be the closest thing to it in st andrews so bought a VIP ticket.

Biggest waste of £45 EVER. The music was very average. I was really looking forward to a night of PROPER dance music and we got nothing but a re-hash of songs they blast out in the bop every friday. The 'free' food was limited to one panini each, of which there were none that didn't contain ham or beef for a good portion of the night. The bar in the VIP tent was so busy that it was impossible to get served at and the 'amazing freebies' we'd heard so much about, in fact, did not exist. The crowds booing at the end was well deserved.

Not only a disgusting waste of money, but also a huge waste of time.

I certainly won't be going to any starfm events again.
maybebaby

Re:

Postby Oli on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:54 am

I disagree!

The music was great, the DJs were fantastic, and it made such a nice change to have so many live bands playing in one venue.

Forget your overpriced balls (whoever makes it to the ceilidh in time anyway?), £45 was excellent value, and the drinks were pretty cheap for an external bar (ever been to an event at the Fairmont?)

Some of the songs may have already been played in the Bop, but can you honestly say that the Bop DJs mix to the same standard as Mr Block and the Hedkandi guys? I don't think so! All credit to the Bop DJs- they simply haven't had the experience that the pros have.

I don't understand your panini comment - are you complaining that there were some non ham/beef panini during the evening? I though the panini were delicious - and that's the type of stuff you can get in the union on a daily basis!

It strikes me that you weren't actually at the event. The crowd at the end was chanting "one more tune, one more tune", but due to licensing arrangements, no more music could be played. The only disappointment was that the event couldn't continue any longer (but at 7 hours long, isn't that good enough value for £45? - most balls only last 5 hours).

Waste of time? I don't think so. Waste of money? No chance! The acts and DJs were advertised well in advance, and if you're so into clubbing as you claim, you should know what Hedkandi and Minisitry tend to play.

You seem to me as someone with a hidden agenda (like a few others on this thread). Be brave and if you won't post your name, at least have the decency to register an account and maintain an air of continuity in your posting name, even if your opinions swing wildly.
Oli

Re:

Postby Oli on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting Anonymous/b from 03:56, 21st Oct 2007
maybe the starfields organisers were spiking the drinks with morphine every five minutes because everybody seems to be wandering around in a general post-friday malaise saying how much of a wonderful night it was but personally i though it was absolutely shocking. yes, the cost was dreadfull but i wouldn't have paid a fiver for the same gig. i managed to spend the same amount as a starfields ticket last night and got to dundee and back and saw mister scruff, arguably the best night out in the area since blacked out 2005.

The organisers weren't spiking any drinks with anything -- that's a pretty serious allegation, and one I think you ought to retract.
"Everyone" was tired on Friday from dancing so much (and there may have been a few hangovers mixed in there too).
I don't think that you can compare blacked out (8 miles away) and Dundee (15 miles away) with Starfields (on your doorstep - walking distance from town). Even taxis to Leuchars cost £8-10 at that time of night - how much did transport cost to these out of town gigs?

let's face it people, st-andrews isnt cool, that's why all the best parties are OUT OF TOWN! apart from finishing at midnight - shocking, this is when a party should just be getting started - asking hedkandi and ministry to play was a big mistake. one thing i've always liked about st-andrews is the lack of really cheesy nights (bop-excluded) and now was not the perfect time to start.

St Andrews is as cool as you make it, and I think it's been proven that with an event like Starfields, that IS cool. It's pretty awesome actually. You don't have to leave town to have a good time, though admittedly it's nice to see different places from time to time. Having said that, what's the point of paying for the transport if you're just going to see the inside of a generic club?

i stayed the entire night for two reasons - i didn't want to waste the twenty squids i forked out for a ticket and i thought that maybe the music might get better towards the end. i fulfilled neither of these objectives. most of my friends left after the first hour of ministry and didn't bother coming back - they had the right idea.

Are you sure you went to the event? None of the tickets were £20!
If you did go, why did you stay if you didn't like the music, and all your mates had left you? All credit to you for giving it the benefit of the doubt and sacrificing your time, but frankly I don't believe you were even there.
Oli

Re:

Postby Anonymous/b on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting oli from 12:42, 23rd Oct 2007
The organisers weren't spiking any drinks with anything -- that's a pretty serious allegation, and one I think you ought to retract.

sry, i think i forgot to put in my tags :b

tickets for the main party (no-VIP) were 20 from outside teh union - an no-one should have to fork out an extra tenner for VIP just 2 have a gud time. i thought st andrews was pretty damn cool actually, till starfields neway. maybebayby's got it right, for a night advertised as a proper club night it was pants. i too love clubbing and expected some decent debauchery aside from anything else. there was none of that. the music was crap as well.

i will concede, though, that the security was good, and that compared to the friends marathon my m8s decided 2 have instead it wasn't that bad. the only problem with that is that the level of enjoyment achieved watching a friends marathon is similair to that gained by poking oneself in the eye with a rusty spoon - so not a gr8 achievement from starfm :(
Anonymous/b

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:48 pm

I thought you said all your friends were going to Starfields?

And what's with the textspeak?
Al

Re:

Postby Anonymous/b on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:14 am

aye, left starfields for a friends marathon...

and quiker 2 type btw, try it sometime
Anonymous/b

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:14 am

Far be it for me to suggest that people who would leave a once in a lifetime event to watch old episodes of Friends probably aren't the sort of people StarFM were aiming to attract.

And it's not much slower to type properly. After all, how much time are you saving by writing "neway" or "quiker"? You've eliminated one letter.
Al

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Al from 09:14, 26th Oct 2007
And it's not much slower to type properly. After all, how much time are you saving by writing "neway" or "quiker"? You've eliminated one letter.

Maybe he/she takes an inordinately long time between keystrokes.

I loved Starfields, good spirit, the crowd all seemed very much up for it, I didn't see one down face all night, and looking through the photos of the event (that I, amongst other members of the phototeam took), even on reflection it looks like everyone loved it too.

For something on your doorstep, that you don't have to get a bus to (that counts Dundee, the Bunker, Kincaple etc out), with an excellent line-up for St Andrews, I think they hit the nail on the head. Yes, it closed early, but it was LOUD and I can understand the reasons behind it. Excellend job, chaps.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Thackary on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:50 am

None of the tickets sold for £20, whether they were outside the Union, online or wherever.

If you prefer sitting in with friends, Friends or whatever, that's your choice. Maybe Starfields wasn't for you, which is a shame, but hey - you'll know for next year. Make sure you get extra cocoa, your warm blanket, a bottle of lambrini and a 500g bar of dairy milk. Sounds like you'll have a blast.

As Lid says, there wasn't a sullen face all evening (as the pictures on http://www.yourunion.net/gallery will show).

Let's not pick this guy up on his txtspk - he's got enough issues without us picking on him for something he doesn't understand.
Thackary

Return to St Andrews Radio