Home

TheSinner.net

Minutes of last debate.

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Newty on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:26 pm

A simple Google search reveals the answer http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... +PDF&meta=

However I'd think HTML might be a little better, even Word will let you save documents as that. For a touch more class, I can provide you with a copy of Dreamweaver.
Will Watson. Medical student. Cake lover.
Newty

Minutes

Postby TorWestwood on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:49 pm

Can I just say, being the clerk for this year and all, that it is hardly fair to criticise me after one week! It is very, very easy to sit and type a short remark about how you don't like the font of my minutes etc, it is quite another to sit and type up the whole debate. The main thing is that I am actually DOING them. Which is more than can be said for my two immediate predecessors. Plus if people are silly enough to lace every comment with an innuendo then it is only fair that they should be included in the minutes! Also -on a serious note, I am open to criticism (of a useful nature) - so if there are important innacuracies in the minutes I am perfectly happy to change them. A lot of distracting things are said at debates. So presumably I am distracted if ever an error occurs.

Ps I like my font. It's feminine.
TorWestwood

Ps

Postby TorWestwood on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:51 pm

Thank-you Jules you are most kind. Have you bought one of those fetching ties yet? I think you should. T
TorWestwood

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:40 pm

Tor,
How do you do it? Those minutes are top-class! Did you learn short hand at an incredibly young age or something?

[hr]

God save The Queen, long live Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:41 pm

Bryn, Mac OS X has a pdf maker built in. To create a pdf, use File-->Print, and then "Save to PDF".
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:28 pm

Quoting TorWestwood from 21:49, 20th Apr 2005
Can I just say, being the clerk for this year and all, that it is hardly fair to criticise me after one week!

Welcome to the Board of Ten.

It is very, very easy to sit and type a short remark about how you don't like the font of my minutes etc

The font does make them incredibly difficult to read.

Which is more than can be said for my two immediate predecessors.

Speaking of short remarks!

if there are important innacuracies in the minutes I am perfectly happy to change them.

A few small things, just from my point of view - I entered the House with the word "Oi!" not "Stop!"; I made my habitual slip-up with regard to the name of the Society and referred to it as the "University of St Andrews University Debating Society" and, hence, flubbed up the word Union, not University; and please amend it to read "Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church" later on during my PoPP.

I wasn't trying to be bitchy - I think they're good quality minutes on the whole.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Newty on Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting Newty from 21:26, 20th Apr 2005
However I'd think HTML might be a little better, even Word will let you save documents as that. For a touch more class, I can provide you with a copy of Dreamweaver.

Just by way of example, I knocked this up in the space of a couple of minutes using a template off Open Source Webdesign ( www.oswd.org ):

http://www.n3wt.nildram.co.uk/debate/

Easy as pie and no doubt it would look much better with a few tweaks or a different template. Food for thought, I hope.
Newty

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:32 pm

Removed cos Reiley beat me to it, and I didn't read the second page.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:38 am

[quote][b]Quoting RJ Covino from 23:28,
A few small things, just from my point of view - I entered the House with the word "Oi!" not "Stop!"; I made my habitual slip-up with regard to the name of the Society and referred to it as the "University of St Andrews University Debating Society" and, hence, flubbed up the word Union, not University; and please amend it to read "Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church" later on during my PoPP.

Cheer up Ralph, I am referred to as Ewan x in the minutes. Which I think is quite cool and should be left for posterity.
Seriously, it is very impressive that the minutes are all prepared online and so well.

[hr]

Nulla fere causa est, in qua non femina litem moverit
Juvenal 242
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:41 pm

Quoting Ewan MacDonald from 13:38, 21st Apr 2005
Cheer up Ralph, I am referred to as Ewan x in the minutes. Which I think is quite cool and should be left for posterity.

Can we expect "Ewan X: A Spike Lee Joint" to be forthcoming?

[hr]

RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Newty on Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:38 pm

Quoting RJ Covino from 23:28, 20th Apr 2005
The font does make them incredibly difficult to read.

To be fair, I think the font will fit very well in that massive book o' minutes that gets carried in at the start of each debate and presumably that was Tor's intention - perhaps putting them into a format that makes things easier for the casual browser (be this issues with font or format) is more Bryn's responsibility. However the fact that they're being made at available at all - especially in Tor's well-written prose - is an excellent thing for the society and I can't help wondering if previous minutes would have shone so brightly* if they were held up to the harsh (well, pastel green) light of Sinner scrutiny.

*I happen to know that Miss Westwood is fond of shiny things.

I wasn't trying to be bitchy - I think they're good quality minutes on the whole.

Praising with faint damns?
Newty

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:53 pm

Quoting Newty from 23:38, 21st Apr 2005
Praising with faint damns?

Believe me, if I'd thought they were shit, it would have been made VERY clear.

[hr]

RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:56 pm

The real tragedy is that swathes of minutes are missing, and I fear are lost forever, unless someone can find the records from the end of Patterson's year as Clerk and then anything from Jamieson and Burge. Damn' shame, as most of my best speeches lie in that period.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:00 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 23:56, 21st Apr 2005
Burge

Is he not still around - or does he just have a doppleganger wandering the streets?

[hr]

RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:57 am

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 23:56, 21st Apr 2005
The real tragedy is that swathes of minutes are missing, and I fear are lost forever, unless someone can find the records from the end of Patterson's year as Clerk and then anything from Jamieson and Burge. Damn' shame, as most of my best speeches lie in that period.

People at some point in the future will uncover them by x-ray or some such method, and wonder "who is this king among men?"

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:14 pm

I think we've exhausted the "Alex and Jon were inept Clerks" topic of conversation. Yeah, maybe we weren't the best suited for the job, but no one else bothered to stand against us - here alone is an argument against unopposed posts.

The minutes are coming. I will e-mail them to all parties involved (namely Bryn, the convener at the time of the debate and Laura) and then you can all just relax.

[hr]

"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't think Mr Wilson was referring to you specifically, so much as to the void that is the minutes for much of the last decade.
exnihilo

Congratulations to Tor!

Postby KateBush on Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:06 pm

Congrats, darling daughter on a faband funky set of minutes. You're going to do swimmingly with the board of ten!

Lots of love

Proud academic Ma.

[hr]

This is the last time
That I will show my face
One last tender lie
And then I'm out of this place
So tread it into the carpet
Or hide it under the stairs
They say that some things never die
Well I tried and I tried
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:49 pm

My mistake.

But it's really expensive and I don't know if you can get a shot of it from anyone in the Union/University?!?
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:20 pm

Wrong thread, Mr Stewart?

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society