Home

TheSinner.net

Minutes of last debate.

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Minutes of last debate.

Postby TorWestwood on Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:00 pm

Dear all members of Union Debating Society...I've been Clerking around for a week or so now and appear to have produced a set of minutes for the last meeting and debate. Which is nice - They can't go online yet...that will come later....but if you want them (as they really are rather funny) just ask. Erm here. And I'll send you them.
TorWestwood

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:12 pm

Quoting TorWestwood from 19:00, 19th Apr 2005
Dear all members of Union Debating Society...I've been Clerking around for a week or so now and appear to have produced a set of minutes for the last meeting and debate. Which is nice - They can't go online yet...that will come later....but if you want them (as they really are rather funny) just ask. Erm here. And I'll send you them.

They are online already.

LPH minutes: http://www.yourunion.net/main/activitie ... ph/minutes

Board of ten minutes: http://www.yourunion.net/main/activitie ... rd/minutes

[hr]

http://bryn.ipfox.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:33 pm

Is this intentional wit on the part of the Clerk?

Wiles such as wearing a low-cut top, see through shirts, body glitter, and showing the female body off in this way. Miss Byrne stood up to declare that she had already defined the term ‘wile’ for the benefit of the whole House. Meanwhile Mr. Vinton attempted to reveal parts of his body to the table speaker, presumably in an attempt to unnerve him. It is only natural for a man to fall prey to such wiles.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:51 pm

Goodness, Mr Bean seems to have been somewhat overcome by the occasion. Incidentally, can I pause here to deprecate the insertion of verbatim texts in the minutes of debates? Either the Clerk should write the minutes, or we should replace the Clerk with a dictaphone. Minutes should reflect, in a more concise way, what was said. They aren't scripts.

Can it really be the case that Mr Pugh spoke for nearly eight minutes on feminine wiles without bringing up the French or laying the evils of the world at the door of women? I wish I'd been there to hear it, if so.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Ian McFarlane on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:59 pm

I entirely agree, and have always thought, that a dictaphone would be a great idea. Recording debates accurately for posterity's sake is of the upmost importance.
Ian McFarlane

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:11 pm

Utmost. And I agree with Wilson, but not jsut for debates, for anything that is minuted, it's not a transcript.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:47 pm

I don't believe that debates need a dictaphone. Although I sometimes rue the fact that some of my cheap innuendo does not make it into the minutes, there is an awful amount of waffle spouted in LPH, and to be honest, the minutes are a much better account of the night than a transcript would be (especially where various clerks take it upon themselves to add circumstantial information), and much better reading.
I would also add that copying up an entire LPH debate from a dictaphone would be an inordinate amount of work for a clerk to do. When copying up a lecture from a dictaphone, it takes me in the order of 3 hours for every hour of lecture material, and that isn't copying it verbatim. It simply isn't fair (or necessary) to impose this.

May I add that when Mr Bean (in his Best Man's Speech) said "At this juncture, Ladies and Gentlemen, I should like to pay tribute to the worthiest runner up in a Convenorial election that I have ever known" some of the older hands in the society were heard to mutter "Eliot Wilson?"
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:48 pm

Do we have electronic copies of the previous debates this year? I could swiftly convert minutes to an electronic format, if they are typed.
Mr Comedy

Ahem

Postby feynman on Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:55 pm

People I need a little help here... when is the next LPH debate? Tomorow or Friday?
feynman

Re:

Postby feynman on Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:59 pm

btw this is Jazz
feynman

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:40 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 23:48, 19th Apr 2005
Do we have electronic copies of the previous debates this year? I could swiftly convert minutes to an electronic format, if they are typed.

Alex has them. If I get given them they can surely go on the website, but I don't currently have them.

Jazz - the debate is on Friday.

[hr]

Bryn

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:45 pm

The insertion of the full text of a speech is not a new practice. It was specifically added as an option to be negotiated between the Clerk and the speaker under Hendrik Puschmann, and as Clerk and then as President I supported it on the grounds that the minutes should be as true and accurate a recording of the proceedings as possible, and if truth and accuracy can be promoted by inserting a full text, such should be welcomed. It's already been done several times before, including with my speech in the American Presidential Debate. You'll notice that Victoria inserted everything that was said aside from the original text as well, which to my mind reflects the best possible balance between textual integrity and accurate reporting.

And having read an advance copy of these minutes, I can assure you that nothing about Victoria's wit is unintentional: she really is that good.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:03 am

We should have a debates podcast for those of us who go to other things like Cathsoc, etc. but still wish to be provided the service of the Union Debating Society.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:59 am

Quoting David Bean from 02:45, 20th Apr 2005
And having read an advance copy of these minutes, I can assure you that nothing about Victoria's wit is unintentional: she really is that good.

The minutes are OK, if verging on the inaccurate from time to time.

That font, however, is a bloody disgrace.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Newty on Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:58 pm

Quoting RJ Covino from 14:59, 20th Apr 2005
That font, however, is a bloody disgrace.

Well, it seems only fitting to me that the activities of the debating society should be made largely impenetrable to outsiders, although extending this to the aged and hard-of-sight might border on the cruel. Perhaps in future the minutes should be converted to HTML prior to uploading, for ease of browsing if nothing else.
Will Watson. Medical student. Cake lover.
Newty

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:28 pm

Indeed, the prerequisite of giving microsoft my hard earned cash to be able to see minutes is slightly unfair.

Could we have them in HTML or PDF format, as is used in the rest of the Union's sub-committees.

Though on the minutes: a most enjoyable read; and I liked the font!

Well done to Tor for speedy and entertaining minutes, and to Bryn for speedy uploading.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Bryn on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:31 pm

I can't seem to see this font on my computer. I was quite surprised today when my Agenda looked different to everyone else's.

How do I convert a doc into a pdf?

[hr]

Bryn

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:39 pm

You need to have the appropriate application from adobe - pagemaker?
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Bryn on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:40 pm

Quoting John Stewart from 20:39, 20th Apr 2005
You need to have the appropriate application from adobe - pagemaker?

Hmm.. that's not going to be easy.

[hr]

Bryn

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:25 pm

Acrobat. Not Pagemaker.
exnihilo

Next

Return to Union Debating Society