Home

TheSinner.net

Minutes of last debate.

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting Alex Jennings from 16:14, 22nd Apr 2005
I think we've exhausted the "Alex and Jon were inept Clerks" topic of conversation.

You were inept. Your function as Clerk was to produce minutes; Communication's remit is to produce a website. I am unrepentant in calling you unable to fufil a job on the Board, despite having two attempts at it. The fact remains that you did not fufill your remit in either job, and is not a fault of the election system. YOu knew the remit before you stood, but you were either incompetent or unwilling to fufill the job,
I sincerely hope you don't stand for another job on Board, as you have twice proved yourself incapable of completing it.

Dave
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby TorWestwood on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:26 pm

Thanks for your comments Ralph... I agree with you on the font issue - I think if Bryn wants to change it for the web that's fine, the fancy one was intended for the book...

I will make the necessary changes to the minutes - that's no problem. Also I found out Ewan's surname a while ago - my updated minutes feature it actually - but they're not online yet - I thought I'd wait for all the information first.

I did find it harder to take minutes at the last debate though - possibly because several of the speakers were 'under the influence'! So I may have to Email a few people. I think the main thing is that they're written close after the time of the event - when everyone remembers it, well, hopefully...

Must dash - im playing McIntosh hide-and-seek. Hooray.
TorWestwood

Re:

Postby Newty on Sun May 08, 2005 7:43 pm

I sincerely hope this initial negativity has not discouraged the communications secretary from placing any more minutes online...?

Quoting TorWestwood from 22:26, 25th Apr 2005
Hooray.

Indeed.

[hr]

Will Watson. Medical student. Cake lover.
Will Watson. Medical student. Cake lover.
Newty

Re:

Postby macgamer on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 10:03, 20th Apr 2005
We should have a debates podcast for those of us who go to other things like Cathsoc, etc. but still wish to be provided the service of the Union Debating Society.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.

The Catholic Society, now records their talks and has been doing so for nearly a year. They are then encoded into mp3 and put on the website. Where you can download manually or you can subscribe to the podcast stream via Apple iTunes. Debates should get with the times.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:34 pm

Debates should get with the times.

Recording what goes on in a debate would be a slightly more difficult logistical exercise, as we would have multiple sound sources, especially recording floor speeches, heckling (the spontaneity would be hit there methinks). Recording an individual voice in a large room full of murmurs and sotto voce comments would present a problem in producing a recording worthy of the society. Whilst technically possible I highly doubt it would be a case of one mike and a minidisk as most amateur podcasts use.
ChrisH

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:46 am

It would also fail to satisfy the obligation that a minute be kept of the meeting.

A minute is not a transcript, nor is it a recording, it is a written summary kept for posterity.

The minute is not so people who weren't able to attend can hear the speakers, that is not its function.

The Debating Society has lodged such minutes with the University library for over 200 years.

A Podcast is, by nature, transitory, and not the same thing at all.

Which is not to say there couldn't be Podcasts of the bigger, and more popular, speakers - with their permission, of course.
exnihilo

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society