Home

TheSinner.net

Minutes

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Minutes

Postby Bryn on Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:44 pm

Various minutes are now available on yonder website for your perusal.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~debates

Enjoy,
Bryn

[hr]

http://bryn.ipfox.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:10 pm

Well done that man.

Now, this semester. Chop chop.

[hr]

Will Watson - half man, half beast. All awesome.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Bryn on Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:12 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 16:10, 10th Oct 2005
Well done that man.

Now, this semester. Chop chop.

I'm sure they will be along in good time.

[hr]

http://bryn.ipfox.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:54 pm

And I'd also like to how absolutely splendid these minutes are, and how wonderful it is to have such a dedicated, talented and generally excellent Clerk to the House as is Miss Victoria Westwood. After only a few moments of recollection, she's the best Clerk we've had in at least seven years.

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:01 pm

Quoting Bryn from 15:44, 10th Oct 2005

Enjoy,
Bryn

I particularly like the line from the Blair is minister without responsibility minutes:

"votes for the Proposition, 12; votes for the Opposition, 22; Abstentions, 4. Therefore the motion was carried..."

Shurely shome mishtake?

Re:

Postby blech on Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:02 pm

David, how much more sycophantic can you possibly be?

That read like a really bad pick up line from a Mills and Boon novella.

If you were any further up her arse you'd be licking her eyeballs.
blech

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:14 pm

I hardly think it sycophantic to recognise and praise the efforts of someone doing so obviously great a job. Now I could, of course, decide to do the opposite and post defamatory and negative comments from the sidelines, but that would make me a nasty, worthless humanoid. Speaking of which...

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.
David Bean

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:13 pm

There's no doubt Tor's a highly talented lady - they're great to read all the way through, even the most unutterably dull speeches. And top marks to Bryn for sticking them into PDFs as well - it's attention to detail like that that gives the whole site such a forward-looking and professional sheen.

[hr]

Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Laura on Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:47 pm

Quoting from 16:10, 10th Oct 2005
Quoting Bryn from 15:44, 10th Oct 2005

Enjoy,
Bryn

I particularly like the line from the Blair is minister without responsibility minutes:

"votes for the Proposition, 12; votes for the Opposition, 22; Abstentions, 4. Therefore the motion was carried..."

Shurely shome mishtake?

It was the end of the year and exam prep time- so to be honest, it's probably not a mistake- I remember it being fairly empty! Unlike the last four which have been unbelievable. People lining South street from six thirty and loads still being turned away...

[hr]

"Twenty years to the week since I was President of the Oxford Union, editor of isis, jeunesse doree I find myself the early morning toast of the ITV telethon: standing on my head, unravelling the world's biggest jumper, leading the dawn sing-along with Rustie the Caribbean Cook. Something's gone wrong somewhere..."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:42 pm

Nah, the mistake was the fact that they accidentally read 'carried' rather than 'defeated' - the numbers were correct. I'm sure Victoria and Bryn can correct that small oversight between them. But the key point is, Victoria's minutes are excellent, as is she for having produced them so quickly and well, and that - not the odd silly mistake, or whatever I say about her, true though it is - is what we should really be celebrating right now.

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.
David Bean

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:11 pm

...what we should really be celebrating right now"

No, what we should be celebrating is the fact that the Union Debating Society attracts people with the courage to admit to reading Mills and Boon novellas.
Al

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:24 pm

Quoting Al from 23:11, 10th Oct 2005
No, what we should be celebrating is the fact that the Union Debating Society attracts people with the courage to admit to reading Mills and Boon novellas.

Gads - the UDS (like a dossier central to last week's debate) sexed up...

[hr]

Dave the Explosive Newt

Minutes

Postby TorWestwood on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:33 am

Heehee - you're talking about my minutes...I thought I'd throw a big mistake in there just to shake things up a bit...and you apparently fell for it. And will - if you want this semester's minutes today you can write them yourself. I have to eat lunch now...

The parliamentary debate is coming along very nicely though - Lord Sewel is such a leg. (legend).

Im more looking forward to reading john roberts' minutes than anyone elses - apparently he was never taught grammar...(we had a chat in the byre yesterday) which should make for some very interesting reading...
TorWestwood

Re:

Postby TorWestwood on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:35 am

Hi David - how are you... im glad you like them - but then -you know.
TorWestwood

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:11 pm

Is there any possibility that the minutes from the Roberts / Jennings era will be posted so that they can be compared with Tor's? It's fairly easy to heap superlatives on people when you have nothing else to judge their work against.

That said, I find the minutes rather amusing. Anybody who doesn't like them, well, I guess that they'll have to be stabbed in the face.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:04 pm

Given how many minutes are missing from the Patterson/Jamieson/Burge era, any comparisons are meaningless. How much was lost, how much.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:16 pm

I'd very much like to see Jon's and Alex's minutes, too. I'm informed that they do exist, but they do seem somewhat elusive (not to say mythical). However, now that their authors are now back in town, the matter should be a lot easier to resolve.

Also, what I said about Victoria took very great account of the fact that her minutes (like mine) demonstrably exist, which I would have thought to be an advantage over ones that don't, and the Clerks who produced them. However, I'm all for stabbing in the face anyone who doesn't like Victoria's minutes, which brings me to...

Hey, Victoria! How're you doing? Not seen you today - BoT and 1GP tomorrow, I guess? And then we also have dinner on Thursday - Stuart informs me that I certainly have a ticket. But indeed yes, you're quite right - I know (gives knowing look)! Remember our BoT theory from the other night..? ;)

Ahem. Next post...

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.
David Bean

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:07 pm

And so it came to pass that everybody else mumbled something about not wanting to be a gooseberry and then shuffled off saying "Is that the time?"
Al

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:37 am

I must say, David's hagiographical tone does sometimes become slightly wearing.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:37 am

I must say, David's hagiographical tone does sometimes become slightly wearing.
Anon.

Next

Return to Union Debating Society