Home

TheSinner.net

Koc 2006

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Koc 2006

Postby Connie on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:24 am

Just to keep you all updated on goýngs on here ýn Turkey, Jason and I are one poýnt off breakýng (we thýnk) whých we are very happy wýth consýderýng he was very very ýll for the 1st day of debatýng. Brýng on the room of death!

The tournament has been awesome so far, we spent an entýre day on the beach and last nýght there was a huge open aýr party on a roof wýth sooooooo much more alcohol than we could all drýnk , and consýderýng the Irýsh are here too thats quýte ýmpressýve,

Wýll let you all know the break tomorrow.

Connýe x
Connie

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:41 pm

I always wondered why Bryn's name was spelt like that.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:08 pm

Sounds quality. I knew that both you and Jason would love Koc (sorry).

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Yay

Postby Connie on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:20 am

We broke top of the tab. From what I remember:

1 We Ate Doug (Connýe and Jason)
2 Scottýsh Debatýngs Memorýal (Jenný and Nýall)
3 Mary and Jesus Magdalene (Sharon and Dýamurd)
4 Knýghts Templar (Derek and Týernan)
5 UCC U (Jýmmy and Dýana)

I realýse that only the IV people wýll know who these are at the moment, but I cant be bothered to put ýn surnames. I should really go and take part ýn the quarter fýnal. Or sýt ýn the sun...
Love to all,
Connýe x
Connie

!!!

Postby Jessica on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:29 pm

I'm seriously impressed. Well done!
Jessica

Fantastic Result!

Postby kdc4 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:13 pm

An incredible result by any standard. Well done to our champions and a well-earned shout-out to Jenni and Niall.

Considering this was suppossed to be prep for Euros, I think we're in fairly good shape for the coming year. Now all we need to do is break at some internationals (and win the stupid Mace)!

Is it sad to be disproportionately pleased that St. Andrews has topped Derek Lande on the team tab twice now this summer?

Great job guys, truly super stuff.

Best wishes from Yorkshire,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby TC on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 pm

Well done guys! what a great start to the year. hope all is well and that you are behaving badly.

[hr]

Per Ardua ad Astra
Per Ardua ad Astra
TC

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:56 pm

Wow, im impressed. First Euro's then the world........ Have I mentioned how much im missing you all... Cant wait to get back to St A.

Hope your having a great summer!

Rob.
xxxxx
OhhMy

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:09 pm

Hey Guys,

Once again that's excellent news, sounds like you're doing us all proud. Let us know the fianl result in due course,

Very best,
Rachael
toff-toff

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:05 pm

The competition in the end was won by Niall (GUU) and Jenny (Dundee).

Congrats though to Jason and Connie on topping the tab and especially in taking that room of death!
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Magnus on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:35 pm

Wonderful as this result is, who were we actually competing against? I take it Jesus has better things to do than debate...

If these teams are flying the flag for St Andrews, why did we enter as "We ate Doug"?
Magnus

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:18 pm

Quoting Magnus from 17:32, 12th Aug 2006
Wonderful as this result is, who were we actually competing against? I take it Jesus has better things to do than debate...

If these teams are flying the flag for St Andrews, why did we enter as "We ate Doug"?

While I cant answer for this specific occasion as I was not there or involved - Scotish teams have a habbit of giving each other joke names at competitions to add to the fun. Rather like when one is bowling with friends and you decide to give your mate a funny name while he isn't looking. All present would know that they were from St Andrews and competling for St Andrews.

As has already been stated the competition is considered a prelim for the Euro's competition later in the year. As such I should expect that there were many good debators from all over Europe there. This should only add to the achievement of breaking first. Breaking First is a sign of true tallent, after breaking whether or not you win has as much to do with chance as it does with talent.

I am sure that Connie will be able to tell you in more detail who they competed against.
OhhMy

Re:

Postby Connie on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:16 am

Ok, so why did we go as 'we ate doug' and who were we debating against.

Koc, like Durham, was an open competition, so there were composite teams competiting. I wasn't at Durham and Doug wasn't at Koc. Since we always debate together at IVs, Jason and Doug, and then Jason and I, thought the names were funny. Everyone knows Doug and I are from St Andrews, so the name still allows people to see where we are from.
The other teams were from LOADS of places - Dublin, Cork, manchester, Tilbury house, Erasmus, Croatia, Moscow, a lot of Turkish teams.
The other important thing is who we were debating for. The judges were people who will be at Worlds and Euros next year, and it was good to have a chance to get on their radars. So much of IV debating is about recognition, and knowing what certain judges look for, whether they want to see hard-line right wing cases, or philosophical debates.
Connie

Return to Union Debating Society