Home

TheSinner.net

Motions Forum

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Motions Forum

Postby toff-toff on Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:28 am

Hello everyone,

We will be holding our motions forum for second semester on Wednesday 15th November, at 5pm, in the Committee Room (top floor of the Union).

All are welcome to attend - this includes first years - and whilst we can't make any promises that all motions suggested will be used on the term card for next semester, it would great to have plenty of suggestions for what you guys want to see debated in LPH after Christmas.

If you can't make it to this meeting, please do email me with any suggestions you may have. My email address is rew25

Otherwise, I hope to see as many of you as possible at the meeting itself, armed with plenty of ideas!

-Rachael
toff-toff

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:09 pm

THB that for world destruction Islam will get there before global warming.

THW sell Wales to Argentina.

THW Force Norwegain children to watch their manly fathers kill whales.

THW force the ugly to wear paper bags.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:09 pm

THB that strathclyde related snobbishness is a sign of profound insecurity

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting from 16:03, 10th Nov 2006
THW Force Norwegain children to watch their manly fathers kill whales.

A great deal of my family are Faroese, and killing whales is a family activity, so I don't see how that motion stands.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Quoting from 16:05, 10th Nov 2006
THB that strathclyde related snobbishness is a sign of profound insecurity

THB that attending Strathclyde leads to profound insecurity?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:12 pm

THB Israel shold get its hands of other people's milk and honey.

Quoting toff-toff from 10:28, 9th Nov 2006
Hello everyone,

We will be holding our motions forum for second semester on Wednesday 15th November, at 5pm, in the Committee Room (top floor of the Union).

All are welcome to attend - this includes first years - and whilst we can't make any promises that all motions suggested will be used on the term card for next semester, it would great to have plenty of suggestions for what you guys want to see debated in LPH after Christmas.

If you can't make it to this meeting, please do email me with any suggestions you may have. My email address is rew25

Otherwise, I hope to see as many of you as possible at the meeting itself, armed with plenty of ideas!

-Rachael

Topical

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:13 pm

I've been thinking that to get more people interested in debates, we should see if we can word some of the motions so that they appeal to some active societies. After all, as a union society we should definately be holding debates on the kinds of topical subjects. Having said that (and in danger of sounding like a fringe nutter)

THW legalise marajuana.

THW rather poke than party (not really that but something facebook related)

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Here are my dream motions!

This House Would Go Nuclear (nuclear power rather than the Bomb - pretty topical, and plenty of potential for speakers)

This House Believes that 'Sharia Law' is an Oxymoron (brilliant potential for generating a little, but by no means too much, controversy)

This House Would Legalise All Drugs (a nice hard-and-fast principles debate, none of your woolly canabis claptral)

and...

This House Would Abolish the NHS, State Education, Unemployment Benefit and the Income Tax (what a debate that would be!)

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Return to Union Debating Society