Home

TheSinner.net

ESU Speech & Debate Squad

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

ESU Speech & Debate Squad

Postby RCMarrs on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:35 pm

Dear all,

The below was posted on British Debate by my colleague in London, James Probert last week. I’ve posted it on various Scottish fora but I thought that you might be interested in this. The Speech & Debate Squad is open to all university debaters and we at the ESU welcome applications. This year the ESU has moved from four tours per year to 8 (the 7 below, and the America tour which will be treated separately).

As a former tourist, I cannot recommend the Speech & Debate Squad highly enough. These are truly amazing and unique opportunities and well worth applying for.

If you would like any further information, please do get in contact with either myself or James at our London office.

Thanks, and I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Kind regards

Rob

Advance warning of application dates for the 2007 ESU Speech and Debate Squad tours

Over the past few months English-Speaking Unions around the world have been bidding to host tours in 2007 by UK university students who are selected to be members of the ESU Speech and Debate Squad. Although we are still receiving requests for tours and confirming details with some countries we expect to be able to offer public speaking and debating tours involving teaching, judging and demonstrating to at least the following countries in 2007:

Argentina
Hong Kong
Israel
Japan
Lebanon
Mauritius
Mexico

A final, full and descriptive list of tours will be published on www.BritishDebate.com on Thursday 4 January 2007, and applications will be open online from then until Thursday 11 January 2007. Candidates invited for interview will be expected to be able to come to Dartmouth House, the headquarters of the ESU in central London, on Thursday 18 January 2007. Please bear these dates in mind – the window for applications is short so don’t miss it; we cannot accept late applications.

Applications for the tour of the United States will be treated separately this year, and further details on the application deadline and selection date will be published on this list and on www.BritishDebate.com in January.

We also hope, again subject to confirmation in the New Year, to offer a trip to Armenia as a prize for the 2007 winners of the ESU John Smith Memorial Mace, the international final of which will be held in Ireland in April and which is generously sponsored by Baillie Gifford.

James Probert

Deputy Director of Education &
Head of the Centre for Speech and Debate
The English-Speaking Union
37 Charles Street
London W1J 5ED
T: 020 7529 1550
F: 020 7495 6108
E: james_probert@esu.org
W: www.britishdebate.com
W: www.esu.org
RCMarrs