Home

TheSinner.net

First Debate?

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

First Debate?

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 am

Well, Happy New Year to you all, and congratulations to those of you at Worlds - a fantastic result for you and for St Andrews.

Also, I've just been on the new website, and it's such an improvement - much, much better, well done on that too.

See? I don't always complain! One thing I would suggest is making hotlinks something other than white, they can be hard to spot, but that's purely cosmetic.

Now, to the point of this post - can someone tell me when and what the first debate of term will be as I have a hankering to visit the old place again and if I can make it fit in with a debate, so much the better.

Thanks.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:39 pm

I'd be inclined to say Wednesday 7th February, which is the first Wednesday of the Candlemas semester.

I can't help you with a motion or any specifics, sadly.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:58 pm

Muchos graçias, no doubt further information will appear here in due course. But if it's as late as that I may well just bimble over some time sooner and annoy some of you in person. Isn't that something to look forward to?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Jason Dunn on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 18:58, 3rd Jan 2007
Muchos graçias, no doubt further information will appear here in due course...

¿Que? There is no cedilla in muchos gracias, amigo. Indeed, a quick consultation with Wikipedia reveals that there has not been one since the 18th century.

Of course it is possible that you have picked it up from reading El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha or some other antiquarian work of Spanish literature, in which case continue using the anachronism with my blessing.

Pedantry aside, I am sure St Andrews will be delighted to have you back, Dr Joss.
Jason Dunn

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:04 pm

I am, you may recall, an historian, with something of an interest in philology. So, I stand by my cedilla! And I'd hardly describe Don Quixote as antiquarian.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting exnihilo from 18:58, 3rd Jan 2007
Muchos graçias, no doubt further information will appear here in due course. But if it's as late as that I may well just bimble over some time sooner and annoy some of you in person. Isn't that something to look forward to?

I find it a good reason to take to the drink, Dr Joss.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:17 am

My presence? I trust you mean in celebration!
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:51 pm

Of course!

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:10 pm

Ah, would that I could join you. I haven't attended a debate in quite some time. Perhaps when Parliament is away for half-term...

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:19 am

See, up there I said that I don't always complain about things, but I'm about to again. I'm about to complain about this being the second thread I've started in the last few months seeking information on when a debate's actually being held and the second time that not one member of the Board has posted on such a thread, despite being active on the messageboard.

This is what I've been talking about. We have umpteen threads on every competition under the sun, which are of interest to those competing in them (who already know) and a handful of others, but we never see a thread about debating in LPH, an answer to when debates are, a run down of a past debate from someone who was there, a continuation of discussion on the motion - which you'd think would be something worth doing - so what's going on?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Sally on Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:32 pm

Why don't you email Rachael on rew25? She should be back from Canada now.
Sally

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:16 pm

The majority of us have been in Canada away partying and travelling back from worlds since this thread started.

As for the termcard it is done but due to shenanigans with reservations we are still unsure whether we have LPH on that Wednesday (or many of them for that matter) so are waiting until we have a confirmed venue and/or date before announcing.
ChrisH

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:08 am

I'm well aware of the obligations viz the WDC. I'm not sure, however, that the tone and tenor of these recent answers in any sense invalidates my point. The information is there - IF you know who to ask, and the onus is upon YOU to make that effort. Well done.
exnihilo

Termcard and All That...

Postby kdc4 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:24 am

The problem that Rachael has been having in finalising the termcard has been the fact that our bookings of LPH appear to have been trumped by 'externally-booked commercial events'
in some instances, week 1 included.

Rach has been negotiating with the university to either to return LPH for those dates (unlikely), to arrange for a suitable substitute venue for a Wednesday debate, or to hold the debate on a Friday in LPH.

Obviously, there are costs and benefits to Friday debates, or Wednesday debates in alternative venues. As things stand at the moment, the society is trying to get the best deal that it can.

Thus, we are waiting to release the termcard until we know which venues we will definitely have, and when.
kdc4

Termcard and All That...

Postby kdc4 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:24 am

The problem that Rachael has been having in finalising the termcard has been the fact that our bookings of LPH appear to have been trumped by 'externally-booked commercial events'.

Rach has been negotiating with the university to either to return LPH for those dates (unlikely), to arrange for a suitable substitute venue for a Wednesday debate, or to hold the debate on a Friday in LPH.

Obviously, there are costs and benefits to Friday debates, or Wednesday debates in alternative venues. As things stand at the moment, the society is doing its best to get the best deal that it can.

Thus, we are waiting to release the termcard until we know which venues we will definitely have, and when.
kdc4

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:33 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 04:08, 7th Jan 2007
I'm well aware of the obligations viz the WDC. I'm not sure, however, that the tone and tenor of these recent answers in any sense invalidates my point. The information is there - IF you know who to ask, and the onus is upon YOU to make that effort. Well, insert seven letter verb beginning F here, done.

It would apear that they dont have the information. Because of room bookings etc etc. I am sure that they will tell you as soon as they know. In fact I hope they tell everybody; which indeed they will.
OhhMy

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 14:10, 5th Jan 2007
Perhaps when Parliament is away for half-term...

The idea of a Parliamentary half term holiday made me think of backbenchers watching CITV in the morning in their pyjamas before spending the rest of the day in the park playing World Cuppies.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise

[s]editI can't believe that i wrote "flaying" instead of playing. How very Freudian.[/s]
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:37 pm

You're probably disturbingly accurate.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Oh my, disturbing news. If the Board fail to secure LPH for Wednesday debates they'll no doubt go down as one of the least successful in recent memory.

I think that sums it up - get LPH, or be branded failures.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting Steveo from 18:42, 7th Jan 2007
Oh my, disturbing news. If the Board fail to secure LPH for Wednesday debates they'll no doubt go down as one of the least successful in recent memory.

I think that sums it up - get LPH, or be branded failures.

Well seeing as how a) Laura had the same problems last year apparently (and who knows before then) and b) reservations does not give us priority as we do not pay for LPH, thus if an outside organisation offers money for a Wednesday we do not get it. Frankly I can entirely understand their view, sadly we are not Oxford, Cambridge or Durham with our own facilities, we rely upon finding rooms.

Thus it simply comes down to luck, how many Wednesday bookings come in apparently determines the success of the society in your eyes. It then comes down to whether we want to hold a pub debate (or whatever), change the day, or the venue.

Seeing as historically LPH is not the historical home of the society anyway I hardly see how it matters other than upon consistency for members to know where to go.
ChrisH

Next

Return to Union Debating Society