Home

TheSinner.net

Strathclyde and Edinburgh

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Strathclyde and Edinburgh

Postby Connie on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:24 pm

Sooooooo..
The IVs are next weekend.
Anyone who wishes to go, please email me to let me know, we're not sending many teams but I'm happy to send as many judges as are willing to travel.

Let me know!

--Connie x
Connie

Re:

Postby Jason on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:57 am

I want to go, says Jason. Tony and Doug are you going, if so shall we pay between ourselves and invite Jenny from Dundee to join us as Connie can't make it due to second x-mas with John?

X
Jason

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:07 am

I'm interested, yes.

-Doug

Quoting jason from 00:57, 24th Jan 2007
I want to go, says Jason. Tony and Doug are you going, if so shall we pay between ourselves and invite Jenny from Dundee to join us as Connie can't make it due to second x-mas with John?

X
kdc4

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:25 pm

OK, don't want to stir up too much more IV VS LPH here, but even as someone who doesn't go to IVs, I'm a bit concerned that we're inviting people from Dundee to represent us instead of our own students. Surely we have more than 4 speakers who are qualified to represent us? If not, why is the Union heavily funding these four individuals when societies are supposed to be for all? I've heard about IV cliques, but i never imagined it was just for 4 individuals! Any explanation of exactly why these 4 people are the only ones who are representing us at IVs?

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:14 pm

Firstly, IVs are teams of two people - so the entry fees are not going to change if we take Jenni from Dundee (who is lovely by the way).

Secondly, IVs are open to all - we send people of any level of experience who are willing to come to training etc.

Thirdly, it's half-term or something like that, so there aren't many people around to go.

Fourthly, it doesn't cost all that much to send people to IVs in Strathclyde - all the UDS pays for is the entry fee - the speakers pay for everything else.

Finally, you strike me as a bit of a knob.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:33 pm

That's a tad harsh, the unreg has something of a point - obviously I don't know the details of this particular instance but it would seem to me that if the Society is paying a team's entrance fee then that team should be composed solely and exclusively of St Andrews students. If we have budgeted to send two teams and can only summon up three people then we should send only one team, the host institution will have had late cancellations before, it happens. If we have enough interested parties to send one and a half teams then if the second team has non-members of the Society in it that team's members should pay the entrance fee. Funds are limited, we should not be paying for non-members - Jenni's loveliness is not the issue, responsible and legal spending of the student body's money is.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:57 pm

As Jason quite rightly pointed out in his thread they will be paying the reg costs for the Jenni team. As she is lovely. Put simply they want to have fun and so are willing to pay themselves.
We get one free team slot as a reciprocal arrangement at all 'Scottish' (as in SSDC) IVs. So we have to send one team (thus the reciprocation).
The real issue is that Strathclyde last year was awful and if anything like that again then it will provide no benefit to our freshers as speakers, but they and everyone competing may if we send judges.

So put simply there is no 'IV v LPH' funding issues going on at all. I'm not going to go into the whole 'IV cliques' non-issue to some random non-registered person. And finally, Mr Comedy, manners please.
ChrisH

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting from 22:10, 24th Jan 2007
OK, don't want to stir up too much more IV VS LPH here, but even as someone who doesn't go to IVs, I'm a bit concerned that we're inviting people from Dundee to represent us instead of our own students. Surely we have more than 4 speakers who are qualified to represent us? If not, why is the Union heavily funding these four individuals when societies are supposed to be for all? I've heard about IV cliques, but i never imagined it was just for 4 individuals! Any explanation of exactly why these 4 people are the only ones who are representing us at IVs?

Notice the 'lets pay between our selves' in Jason's post.

Have we come to the stage where the IV section of the society cannot make arrangments on the sinner without being haranged. No They are paying for Jenny, out of their own pockets.

Oh and as to the clique... I beleive that to the average IV at least ten or so people go if not more. To Scotish IV's quite often its a coach load. However if you had noticed its the intersemester break.

If you are worried about the cliquey ness of IV debating why dont you go to training and see the number and variety of people who go. Then you would see that there is not some little clique of people ploting ways to missspend the societies budget.
OhhMy

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:50 pm

Quoting from 22:10, 24th Jan 2007

Three things.
1.) I would assume that Jenni or Dundee would be paying her entrance fee. So there is no cost implication to the Association.

2.) Since St Andrews, like all debating societies, occasionally requires help with external judging or speaking it does no harm to be on good terms with other strong speakers. And Jenni has been a good friend to St Andrews over the years.

3.) She is lovely, which is important.

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:16 pm

Just out of interest, what is Connie's email address? She told me to email her regarding judging the Edinburgh I'V, but I don't seem to have it...

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:24 pm

Quoting Lid from 18:16, 26th Jan 2007
Just out of interest, what is Connie's email address? She told me to email her regarding judging the Edinburgh I'V, but I don't seem to have it...

[hr]

I'll not post it on the internet, but I've sent you an email through the Sinner with it on.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:27 pm

Cheers Dave

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting ohhmy from 10:42, 26th Jan 2007
If you are worried about the cliquey ness of IV debating why dont you go to training and see the number and variety of people who go. Then you would see that there is not some little clique of people ploting ways to missspend the societies budget.

That's only because the budget is also being mis-spent on actors to fill the room out a bit and make it look less cliquey.
Al

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:08 am

Yes, just to confirm: the society is not spending resources on Strath/Edinburgh IVs, mainly b/c they are relatively expensive and of limited utility.

Individuals are, of course, free to spend their own money to go to any and all IVs that they wish, with whomever.

Jenni has done a lot for this society, not least of which is offering external adjudication and organising a combined IV weekend to allow economies of scale. Some members wish to reward that, from their own pockets.

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby Daniel on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:50 am

What a lovely argument to wake up to on a Sunday morning.

If you need a fresher judge to go, consider me volunteered.

Daniel
Daniel

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:45 pm

Spaces are filling up for Edinburgh and Strathclyde. Please post here if you wish us to register you for either tournament (you will self-fund if a speaker).

Interest in Edinburgh/Strathclyde:

Strathclyde:

Speakers:
Jason Vit
Doug Cochran

Judges:
?

Edinburgh:

Speakers:
Rebecca Emmett
Miles Wood
Doug Cochran
Jason Vit

Judges:
(2)

Quoting Daniel from 09:58, 28th Jan 2007
What a lovely argument to wake up to on a Sunday morning.

If you need a fresher judge to go, consider me volunteered.

Daniel
kdc4

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:08 pm

Splendid. My guise can go back to being unknown. *cough*.
Lid

For those only doing Edinburgh...

Postby kdc4 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:13 pm

Apparently, things are kicking off at 10 at Edinburgh. I'd make an effort to make it at 10-sharp if possible, though I doubt they'll start at that time exactly. There's a train from Leuchars at 7:37 that will get you there in plenty of time to have some breakfast, do a wee bit of shopping and make your way, in a leisurely fashion to the IV itself. The next train won't get you in until 11:03, which may mean missing the first round.

If you're a judge, it's not an imperative that you attend every single round, but I imagine that you would want to attend as many as possible.

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby obsessiveBecca on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:44 pm

Where exactly are we heading once in Edinburgh? Guess we need an address for the taxi?
obsessiveBecca

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:55 pm

Its at Kings Buildings House on the Kings Buildings Campus.

Cheers,
-Doug

Quoting obsessivebecca from 12:44, 2nd Feb 2007
Where exactly are we heading once in Edinburgh? Guess we need an address for the taxi?
kdc4

Next

Return to Union Debating Society