Home

TheSinner.net

TCD Success

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

TCD Success

Postby kdc4 on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:17 am

St. Andrews had another weekend of success at Trinity College Dublin (despite three speakers missing their flights).

At the invitational tournament, Connie, speaking with Noel McGrath of UCD, won the tournament, with Doug making the final with Tiernan Fitzgibbon of UCC.

The main event was even more successful. Four St. Andrews teams attended. Connie and Doug broke third on the tab (of 72) and Jason and Tony broke ninth. Beth and Jess missed the break by a single speaker point.

Both teams advanced through the quarters and semis and both took the proposition side on the final motion:

TH: Believes in the existence of God.

Connie and Doug won the debate from second proposition with honours for best speaker in the final going to Michael Clark.

Connie thus becomes the only speaker in the history of Kingsmill-Moore/Dean Swift IV to win both the invitational and the main tournament.

Tab to come: highlights included Tony Murphy, Jason Vit, and Connie Grieve all finishing in the top ten speakers.

Thanks are due to our fresher judges who cut their teeth at one of the most prestigious tournaments in British Isles. Kelly Wade-Johnson deserves special praise for being named to chair rooms by the end of the tournament.

Big grins all around.

Much love from Jess and Doug in the airport.... must not miss another flight...
kdc4

Re:

Postby Daniel on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:50 am

Congratulations guys -- that sounds awesome!

Daniel
Daniel

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:53 pm

The march of Connie continues, small but deadly she obviously passes under the radar of other debaters until she strikes.
I can see the moving Hollywood film now of small girl from Dykehead making good!

Well done to all involved, very sad I could not be there.
ChrisH

Welldone

Postby OhhMy on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:15 pm

I dont want to say to much incase we jinx them but well done!
OhhMy

Abreviated Tab

Postby kdc4 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:46 am

Presumably, britishdebate.com will publish the tab soon, here's the St. Andrews speakers.

1. UCC Phil J 13 (795)

3. St. Andrews B (Connie/Doug) 12 (776)
9. St. Andrews A (Tony/Jason) 10 (790)
17. St. Andrews C (Beth/Jess) 10 (744)
39. St. Andrews D (Rebecca/Tom) 7 (695)

71. UCC Law C 1 (593)

Individuals:

1. Derek Lande 402

2. Tony 396
5. Jason 394
9. Connie 391
17. Doug 385
35. Jess 372
35. Beth 372
69. Tom 350
88. Rebecca 345

141. Ross Forde 288
kdc4

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:47 pm

Congratulations, chaps. I must say, I'm particularly looking forward to meeting the new members of the IV squad when I come up for the Overseas Debate - please remember to introduce me! :)

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

For those with an hour to kill...

Postby kdc4 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:50 pm

Audio clips from the Invitational final and IV final are online.

My speech from the invitational final seems to have been 'lost'. Those who witnessed the event in person will understand why I'm not disappointed about that one.

http://www.thehist.com/index.php?option ... te&dir=ASC

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:47, 29th Jan 2007
Congratulations, chaps. I must say, I'm particularly looking forward to meeting the new members of the IV squad when I come up for the Overseas Debate - please remember to introduce me! :)

Is this desire linked to what you said on the "New Scientist" thread?
Al

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:19 pm

Congratulations to all of you, once again you're making us all proud!
toff-toff

Re:

Postby Imago on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:47, 29th Jan 2007

[hr]

Would that be so you can carry on sniping to their faces about how 'the IV squad' are not in fact representative of the society as a whole ?
Imago

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:30 pm

Well, considering that 'the society as a whole' consists of every matriculated student in the university, they aren't - but I hardly think that's a bad thing, since if everyone could debate competitively as well as they could, they'd be wasting their time.

That aside, I think you must be confusing me with someone else. For the record, I've competed in the World Championships, won 'best speaker' prizes, was at one time one of the Society's foremost IV speakers, and been the first person ever to have been both the Society's president and Father of the House (a position I served in for the joint-longest time).

I have sometimes questioned the actions and attitudes of certain members of the IV Squad, and I might have challenged the validity of some of its expenditures, and on other occasions I've stood up for the IV squad against people who sought to harm it. My term as president saw an era of rapprochement between the IV squad and the Parliament Hall faithful that went far beyond anything we'd had for several years before or, to be brutally honest, that we've had since.

I'm for moderation, and if during the times I've been critical of the IV squad, as a friend must sometimes be critical if he is truly to be a friend, some people with less positive attitudes happened to agree with me and express that agreement, I can't take responsibility for that.

My point being, sunshine, don't you go presenting me as something I'm not. Who are you, anyway?

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:28 am

It can be said honestly and fairly that David is a true friend of the debating society. He is a friend of every aspect of it. He is no more a friend of the IV section than the LPH section or the schools section.

I do not always agree with him and have argued with him in the past but his intentions are entirely positive toward the IV section as are mine.

Be nice children. It is always best I think, especially on these semi anomanous (Im dyslexic and drunk its not a good combination) message boards to reserve judgement untill you have met the particular poster concerned.

For instnace Dr Joss and I almost always disagree about the society especially in reference to the IV squad but he does have the interests of the society at heart. I have often accused some people of alterior motives or agenders that simply were not present; this has been embarising. In this case the poster has clearly got it wrong.

I suggest giving people the benefit of the doubt, at least untill you know who exactly they are.
OhhMy

Return to Union Debating Society