Home

TheSinner.net

Inter-Residence Debating Competition 2007

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:43, 8th Mar 2007
Well, if nothing else at least we've managed to find out what it's like to listen to a broken record.

This is only a very small sample. For it to have any scientific value, we would need to listen to dozens of broken records. I propose a study of 250 broken records, and the effect that listening to them has on test subjects.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby G Illsley on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:44 pm

It seems the problem here is that the groups are arguing from different premises. One believes that the other members of the UDS, parents, teachers, sponsors et al should have a say in determining proper conduct. The other (as far as I can see, membership 1) believes that Mr Bean should be arbiter.
Knowing many of those involved, it seems that neither is likely to shift in their opinion any time soon.

For the edification of those running the society now and into the future (without, of course, advocating any course of action, which would be inappropriate) should this be a problem which concerns them for future debates, there is one member of the Oxford Union who has been informed that his legs will be broken with a baseball bat should he ever again attend a schools' debate.
G Illsley

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:47 pm

Gavin, is this person:

a) You
b) Will Jones?

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society