Home

TheSinner.net

LSE Open

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

LSE Open

Postby Mr Comedy on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:08 pm

St Andrews were also in attendance at the LSE Open, with Connie and Doug representing for St Andrews.
Tony was also speaking with Gregg O'Neil.

Motions as follows:

R1: THW directly elect the British Prime Minister
R2: THW admit Taiwan to NATO
R3: THW provide tax breaks to married couples with children
R4: THW criminalise smoking and drinking for pregnant mothers
R5: THW allow individual British people to sell their citizenship
QF: THW set income tax at a flat 28% above £9,000 annual income

St Andrews and Tony both broke to Quarters.
Unfortunately I didn't stick around past this, because the rugby was on and I wanted to go to the pub.
However, I was adjudicating, and chaired rounds 1-4, taking wing judge in one of the top rooms for round 5. Rebecca Emmett was also adjudicating, taking chair for R1-3.

More news (probably) and the tab (possibly) when people get back to St Andrews. Who knows?

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:44 am

Tony and Greg (who broke 3rd on tab) advanced to quarter-finals. Connie and Doug advanced to semi-finals.

Semis: THW: Allow British courts to try people for crimes against humanity regardless of where the crime was commited and against whom.

Finals: THW: Withdraw from the EU.

1st Prop: Loyola-Oxford
1st Opp: Fred Cowell and J. Leader-Maynard
2nd Prop: Sam Block and Diarmuid Early
2nd Opp: Helskini

Squirreled by 1st Prop (Americans) who ran expelling France from the EU. Won by 2nd Prop (Sam Block and Diarmuid Early). Sam was best speaker on tab and in the final.
kdc4

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:42 pm

Seeing as I'm no longer on BD, has the tab been released yet?

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:25 pm

The tab's released; it's at LSEOPEN.com.

Teams:
1. Alex and Shannon 14 828
3. Armenians (Greg and Tony) 12 809
5. St. Andrews (Connie and Doug) 11 807

92. UCC LAW C 0 596

Individuals:
1. Sam Block 421
4. Connie 411
7. Greg 405
8. Tony 404
16*. Doug 396

*I was actually joint sixteenth, with four others. I therefore award myself the 'Jason Vit- 19th Place Award' for this tournament, in recognition of five rounds of unrelenting ice cream production.
kdc4

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:45 pm

If it helps, the room where you produced the most icecream was the last one, where Connie carried you...

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:01 pm

[quote]Quoting Mr Comedy from 16:45, 14th Mar 2007
If it helps, the room where you produced the most icecream was the last one, where Connie carried you...

[hr]

By eight points, no less...

Connie carried me in ALL the outrounds, save the one about married couple tax credits (where she should have, by rights), and the quarterfinal as well.

Hopefully I'll get it back together in time for Euros!
kdc4

Re:

Postby Connie on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm still convinced the worst round was the one about tax breaks. Its the worst speech I've given in well over a year. It was definately summed up well by the judge who said (having just given us the 1st)
'I really didn't want to have to give out points in that round, not even speaker points'
Connie

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:33 pm

I'm quite sure that it's better than the flannel that I recieved from UCC Law C in 1st prop.

I was trying to gouge my eyes before the end of that debate.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Return to Union Debating Society