Home

TheSinner.net

History is Bunk.... Insulting!

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:18 pm

It sounds suspiciously like violent weather conditions in a vessel for the drinking of tea.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:56 pm

Given some of the things I've heard said in days of yore, yes.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:07 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 18:56, 21st Mar 2007
Given some of the things I've heard said in days of yore, yes.

These are not the days of yore; however, it does bear pointing out that even in that misty, bygone era, speeches which poked fun at members of the House tended to focus on prominent members of the Society and not their significant others.

That the speech was made seemingly under the impression that the young lady being mocked was not present, I find anyway, is more telling offensiveness-wise.

Still, it's one way to ensure a packed House - if you don't go, you may very well get mocked in a floor speech without the right to defend yourself. Or, in the case of former UDS grandees Bean and Joss, at length in the after dinner debate.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:24 pm

I knew she was there, it's just that at the time I didn't consider the comments to be beyond the bounds of taste and decency. Clearly they were. As much as I appreciate those who are trying to downplay the gravity of the situation, I don't think continuing to talk about the comment made, it's intentions or the circumstances in which it was made is of use to anyone.

I could see how upset Kelly was when she left. I could see how upset her friends were. And I could see how upset Tom was, whose night I presumably ruined. Two days later, it is continuing to play on my mind.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:39 pm

I was mocked in the after dinner debate? How so?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:53 pm

What he said.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Okocim on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:47 pm

Sorry, It's been some time since I was a regular at the society and I probably should be keeping my nose out but I wanted to respond to this issue.

Quoting exnihilo from 13:33, 20th Mar 2007
If I said I didn't like angora jumpers and someone got all het up about it and accused me of being an insensitive bastard that would be ludicrous.

I agree that the above example would be ridiculous, but it doesn't appear to fir the facts here. Making remarks which directly refer to another individual in public is quite different than voicing an opinion on a general topic. It's no crime to make a joke about somebody during a debate - it's often extremely funny - but any speaker should show consideration and respect for that person's feelings. I strongly believe in the right to freedom of speech during a debate, but with such rights comes responsibility. If a potentially offensive point is relevent and necessary, then by all means make it, but if offence is caused for the sake of a cheap joke, then that's another thing entirely.
Okocim

Re:

Postby sweet on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting I wuz ther from 11:39, 20th Mar 2007
Quoting lexicon from 11:07, 20th Mar 2007
What was said, or is it not repeatable?

it went something like this:

"there are many inexplicable things...
like Mr Cahn having a girlfriend and she is well fit by the way. He must have some hidden talents like a 10" tongue ..."

I do not see the insult unsless it is directed at Mr Cahn or his girlfiends choice in parner.

I was not there, but if that was all that was said, it sounds like a light-hearted joke to me, and a total sense of humour failure on the part of Kelly and her mates. If anything he was complimentary to her, and this has been taken waaay to seriously. It seems to me like the speaker inadvertently pranged a raw nerve when all he intended to do was inject a little humour into proceedings.

((ps - Dave T.E.N.- obviously you feel awful about this, so perhaps you could send card/flowers of apology? Bet everyone would feel better and be able to draw line under whole incident.))
sweet

Re:

Postby Jessica on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:28 pm

I cannot believe you're all still talking about this!

Firstly, I'd like to say to which ever unregistered users decided to write the offensive remark on a public board, well, I'm not sure that was exactly tactful. Secondly the remark was of an extremely offensive nature, though not intended to be. I fully stand behind all of Doug's words on this topic. Frankly, and this is on a completely personal note, I'm a bit appalled that people have decided to further discuss this on a message board, seeing as it caused so much offense in the first place. I spent considerable time in LPH that night trying to think of what I could say in my friends defense, and Connie and I tried to come up with something which explained the nature of the offence.I don't care if you think it wasn't so much of an insult, all that matters is that the person in question was upset by it, and frankly, as one of her friends, I cannot imagine anything worse than a continued discussion on the topic. Apologies have been said, and this should be considered over. I strongly encourage anyone who has further upset this person to stop talking about it like this is fun gossip (it's not, its quite personal). I will see what I can do about making this entire thread less offensive in the morning. I'm going to dinner now.
Jessica

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:37 pm

You're going to come back and make it all less insulting? There's a word for that, unless you can point to something in particular that you feel violates the rules of the site.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Discussing issues relating to freedom of speech on the Debating Society's message board is to be forbidden now as well? Ah it's a brave new world indeed...
Al

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:48 am

I don't wish to be unduly uncaring, but when did people get so damned touchy? Life can be tough from time to time, and if as mild a comment as that provokes such distress, I really do fear for people.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Jennifer Loves Chewitts on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:08 pm

If anyone should be offended, it should be Mr Cahn.

Implying that his only redeeming feature is a 10" tongue (and presumably the ability to breathe through his ears?) seems rather rude.

However, I've met the fellow, and a fine fellow he is.

I say:
Keep the friendly banter
Keep the insults (but deliver them with a friendly wink)
Maintain the right to free speech (in LPH and on The Sinner).
Accept apologies
Move on to more important matters.
Jennifer Loves Chewitts

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:11 pm

If a 10" tongue was my only redeeming feature, I'd be twice the man I am today.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Hughie Throbbingphallus on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:35 pm

"I'm a bit appalled that people have decided to further discuss this on a message board, seeing as it caused so much offense in the first place"

God how naive. If you don't want gossip don't a)get so (openly) offended b) don't visit the sinner. The more offended someone is the better the gossip.

Ten inch tongue. You could get inside someone's large intestine a 'colon-job', I bet that feels good.

With a pregnant woman you might be able to lick her baby.

[hr]

[s]"Ooh Megatron!" -Carry On Transformers[/s]
[i:1u29jgp6][s]"Ooh Megatron!" -Carry On Transformers[/s][/i:1u29jgp6]
Hughie Throbbingphallus

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:43 pm

remember, asking people to stop discussing a topic is the best way possible to re-invigorate it.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society