Home

TheSinner.net

Rooms

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Rooms

Postby Concerned on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:21 pm

I notice that the UDS doesn't seem to use the Union rooms much anymore. Have some people fallen out with each other?

Seems strange for a subcommittee not to use the Union, don't you think?
Concerned

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:26 pm

No. Other than for meetings of the Board of Ten there was a time, not long ago, when the Society didn't use any rooms in the Union Building, except on rare occasions where rooms were needed for competition rounds, and even then Mansefield, Upper and Lower College Halls, and St Mary's College were often chosen instead for convenience of location and weekend availability. Social functions were almost always in restaurants and bars other than the Union. Other than that, what rooms would you have the Society use and for what purposes?

This seems like a very bizarre criticism, with little foundation in fact.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Lid on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:07 pm

I have noticed it, but unlike the above poster, have not been concerned by it. There has been a definite trend away from union rooms, for things like Worlds trials, and the like.

The above poster, however is right to raise concern if there is extra cost incurred to the subcommittee - it being the right of every student to question its expenditure.

I think the poster notes more the anomoly that the UDS' usage compared to other subcommittees is low, not the UDS' usage compared to previous years of UDS history.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby TC on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:54 pm

I find this issue a bit bizzare as the UDS does make extensive us of the Union's rooms. During every week in termtime the UDS will use at least one (sometimes two) rooms on the top floor of the Union for IV training on Wednesdays. (usually Venue 2 or the Salad Bowl). We also hold our board meetings there, in the Committee room. When public speaking training was being run this year it was in the Union.

We also host some of our largest events there. Both the Marquis of Bute and our Schools competition predominatly took place in the Union.

We don't use the Union for the final of our Schools competition, the Marquis of Bute and the Ross Cup because LPH is the traditional venue for those events.

One of the reasons we have not possibly been able to use the Union is because of the current pressure on rooms. Any society president will tell you that unless you book well in advance it is often impossible to get a room in the Union for any activity. Hence this year we had to have some of the debates in our Inter-Residency competition in both the Buchanan and St Mary's. We have also made extensive use of the Mansfield this year on various occasions.

There is simpley too much pressure for space in the current Union building which forces us (and other societies) to look elsewhere. For most events (other than LPH debates and the socials outlined by Exnihilo above) we always look first to the Union for rooms. However in the last year we have found that often rooms have simply not been available.

The notion that we do not use the Union is frankley crazy. There were points this year where I felt that I practically lived in that building because I spent so much time there on debating related matters.

Tom Cahn, UDS President

[hr]

Per Ardua ad Astra
Per Ardua ad Astra
TC

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:59 pm

From what Tom is saying, it doesn't sound as though the use of rooms has declined significantly this year, if at all - and as exnihillo points out, the trend is very much up from years gone by.

Also, the use of rooms in the likes of Buchanan isn't worthy of criticism - it's just good sense, since the Association negotiated an agreement with the University whereby student groups could use university rooms free of charge, in exchange for us letting the University use Association rooms when necessary (usually because an accessible room is required, and the University doesn't have a fat lot of those). So in effect, using a room in the Buchanan is just the same as using one in the Union, because our ability to use them is as a result of a strategic collaboration between the two bodies.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:49 am

No! It's the result of a break down between the Union and the UDS. David, when will you learn to see the conspiracy??
exnihilo

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:56 pm

Forgive me, I'd forgotten to put on my tin-foil hat before I logged on. Won't happen again, I assure you.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:13 pm

What the original poster may have been referring to was the recent spate of trials held outside the Union.

This was due to Miles being banned from the Union and so not being able to attend any trials held there. Given that he speaks with Tom and this would have scuppered their chance to go to worlds trials were held elsewhere.

Re:

Postby mattina on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:47 pm

I usually try to stay out of politics and whatnot but I guess being IV secretary and having held trials, I should answer.

Firstly though, I do get a bit annoyed when people aren't willing to attach names to their comments and stick to what they have said, or in this case, typed. Then again, I've always believed in being held responsible for one's actions.

As for trials, Tom and Miles expressed interest as a team and did say that if there were any difficulties presented that I could cut them and they would understand.

It also came down to needing 4 teams to form a table and when holding trials I wanted to get 4 high quality teams in addition to a high quality judging panel. Connie and Doug where preselected to serve on the panel where they were joined by Tony and Jason. I felt that not having Connie and Doug would interfere with the quality of the decision as 2 judges is too few for trials. The timetabling of trials took in account my being able to coincide it with a visit of a very distinguished Irish speaker who has won several competitions including LSE, Diarmuid, who also was CA of the DCUL IV.

I wanted everyone who expressed interest in trialing to do so and that is exactly what happened.

Rooms in the Union and elsewhere (excluding the Mansfield) are booked through the DoSDA and Lee gave me rooms in various places. As for using Buchanan, I liked it so much I might use it for trials again next year as given lower usage of the rooms generally, when your timeslot is up there isn't a group waiting to kick you out and take over the room, which was nice. It allowed for more flexibility in giving the judges more time if needed to reach their decisions.

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting from 12:58, 11th Jun 2007
This was due to Miles being banned from the Union and so not being able to attend any trials held there. Given that he speaks with Tom and this would have scuppered their chance to go to worlds trials were held elsewhere.

In that case, surely the real scandal is that an Officer of the SSC should have formed a speaking partnership (no doubt subsidised by the Association) with someone who's been banned from the Union? :P

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Quoting mattina from 23:47, 15th Jun 2007
Firstly though, I do get a bit annoyed when people aren't willing to attach names to their comments and stick to what they have said, or in this case, typed.

Welcome to The Sinner

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting Lid from 13:40, 17th Jun 2007
Welcome to The Sinner

Please drive carefully.
Al

Return to Union Debating Society