Home

TheSinner.net

Term Card - Martinmas 2007

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:03 pm

Oops. Double post.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:44 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:20, 5th Jul 2007
Yes, a Christmas debate should be fun. Last time we had one of those was my year, and it might just have been a pub debate, but summing up in favour of Christmas we had a very special guest: taking some time out of his very busy schedule, Santa Claus himself!

[hr]

Psalm 91:7

Tom D'Ardenne borrowed my Santa suit to speak in the last debate before Christmas this year. It went really well with the gown.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:54 am

Why does it not surprise me that you have a Santa suit?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:53, 4th Jul 2007

That's a good idea. It's always helpful to leave a slot or two for something topical, and since a competition final has traditionally been a hard sell to students who don't participate, making it about something they read in the Times (we can hope) the other day is always a handy inducement.

My first year had very good attendance, maidens is the one competition where I feel we have a great chance to have a large audience for a competition. If there is a few days notice of who is in the final then those people will hopefully, and can be encouraged to, invite all their friends, especially freshers, to come along. It provides a second chance after to try and get new people through the door.

I do agree that other competitions have a pretty poor turnout in general. I doubt the hall competition could be spiced up, even if the final was held after the event.

Re:

Postby Cambabol on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:04 pm

To be fair, it would be nice if the motion was not Israel again. It's Israel every year. It's the same every year. (and the motion is always worded against Israel e.g. 'This house believes the greatest barrier to the peace in the Middle East is Israel'). What about somewhere else? I understand that we want something controversial that will get people in the door but can't we be a little more creative?
Cambabol

Re:

Postby Cambabol on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 23:03, 5th Jul 2007
I have a horrible sinking feeling that there might be some parties who will not be wild about the wording of the Israel motion. In the grand tradition of people failing to understand the point of a debating motion. I'd like to be wrong, but...

To be fair, it would be nice if the motion was not Israel again. It's Israel every year. It's the same every year. (and the motion is always worded against Israel e.g. 'This house believes the greatest barrier to the peace in the Middle East is Israel'). What about somewhere else? I understand that we want something controversial that will get people in the door but can't we be a little more creative?
Cambabol

Re:

Postby Jessica on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:20 pm

I didn't know we'd run Israel so recently! Certainly not in the last two years. I'm actually quite excited for the Israel debate, and I think it has the potential to draw in a new crowd (possibly of Americans, possibly IR students).

Also, I think the motion's well worded (I didn't word it) so that the debate can be deeper than just 'what's going on in the Middle East right now' and more of a debate about international decisions etc.

By the way, people should feel free to post ideas for maiden's motions.
Jessica

Re:

Postby Jessica on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:20 pm

I didn't know we'd run Israel so recently! Certainly not in the last two years. I'm actually quite excited for the Israel debate, and I think it has the potential to draw in a new crowd (possibly of Americans, possibly IR students).

Also, I think the motion's well worded (I didn't word it) so that the debate can be deeper than just 'what's going on in the Middle East right now' and more of a debate about international decisions etc.

By the way, people should feel free to post ideas for maiden's motions.
Jessica

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:20, 5th Jul 2007
Yes, a Christmas debate should be fun. Last time we had one of those was my year, and it might just have been a pub debate, but summing up in favour of Christmas we had a very special guest: taking some time out of his very busy schedule, Santa Claus himself!

I believe my opposition case rested on the fact that you were less Santa Claus, and more Santa Clause 28. That was back in the day, and there was free wine throughout the debate. Definitely a Bean success.

Fun times.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Cambabol on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:59 pm

[quote]Quoting Jessica from 20:20, 12th Jul 2007
I didn't know we'd run Israel so recently! Certainly not in the last two years.

I don't know what the Middle East debate this year was but the year before (two years ago) it was: "This house believes the greatest barrier to the peace in the Middle East is Israel" i.e Israel yet again.

And you can get something controversial on the Middle East that will bring in the Americans and IR students that isn't the same old same old. How about Iran? Iraq? (too obvious?) Saudi Arabia? Human rights in the Middle East? I dunno but I'm sure we could think of something
Cambabol

Re:

Postby Cambabol on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting Jessica from 20:20, 12th Jul 2007
I didn't know we'd run Israel so recently! Certainly not in the last two years.

I don't know what the Middle East debate this year was but the year before (two years ago) it was: "This house believes the greatest barrier to the peace in the Middle East is Israel" i.e Israel yet again.

And you can get something controversial on the Middle East that will bring in the Americans and IR students that isn't the same old same old. How about Iran? Iraq? (too obvious?) Saudi Arabia? Human rights in the Middle East? I dunno but I'm sure we could think of something
Cambabol

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Cambabol from 01:00, 13th Jul 2007

Burma!
Kizzy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:01 am

Not the most notably middle-eastern country...
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting exnihilo from 10:01, 13th Jul 2007
Not the most notably middle-eastern country...

This I know - given that Jess mentioned a debate about international decisions etc rather than just a 'what's going on in the Middle East right now' style debate, of which I've seen far too many, and Middle East debates can all too easily merge into, this was a (somewhat lighthearted) suggestion of an alternative to the whole idea of a Middle East debate.

That said, I do think it's set to be an excellent semester of debates.
Kizzy

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:54 pm

I still reckon 'This House Believes that "Sharia Law" is an Oxymoron' would make for a cracker.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby Jessica on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Someone should do that as an adjournment debate! That'd be fantastic!
Jessica

Re:

Postby Jessica on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:17 pm

And by the way, if anyone has any speaker suggestions or contacts, please post them here or email the contact info to Rebecca @ rje7.

We can always use more speakers...
Jessica

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:23 pm

Wo ist das Charity Debate, as discussed in the motions forum? I'd be delighted to speak under such a billing.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:10 pm

Could someone please let me know what's happening about the Alumni Debate on 14 December? I believe I'm supposed to be speaking.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society