Home

TheSinner.net

Term Card - Martinmas 2007

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Term Card - Martinmas 2007

Postby Jessica on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:31 pm

Jessica

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:51 pm

Hmm, I just realised that the freshers week motion is the party line of Al Queida.

Ossama in 1st prop anyone?
ChrisH

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:46 am

Interesting line up, there are at least six there I'd have liked to attend (or indeed speak in) were it possible. Well done, and the best of luck in getting good speakers for them (esp the Israel one).
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:28 pm

Interesting change of format for the Maiden Speakers Competition, I'm of the firm belief that a motion announced in advance, per past precedent will produce far better speeches for first time debaters than one announced fifteen minutes before.

Also, what is the Freshers Committee? Surely a member of BoT should know this, but it seems to have mysteriously eluded me.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby obsessiveBecca on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:34 am

Just to clarify - unless we cannot find suitable rooms at the weekend, the main Maidens competition will be held in advance of the final, which will be held on the Wednesday in LPH. Therefore it will be long prep.

Also the Freshers committee was discussed at board meetings before the summer. Its a chance to involve new members in the running of a debate, so that they understand how to do the jobs they may eventually want to run for.

Glad you like the term card though.
obsessiveBecca

Re:

Postby Jason Dunn on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting Lid from 21:28, 1st Jul 2007
... per past precedent ...

As distinct from the future precedent.
Jason Dunn

Re:

Postby Jessica on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:55 am

Glad you like the term card! I think the Freshers debate motion is still up for discussion, but just wanted to keep you informed on what was going on.

I think next term we should have
'This house believes space exploration is a waste of time'

and maybe something environmental.
But I must say, I very much like the term card this time around.

By putting this up, we are, of course, also inviting people to come speak in a debate if they wish. Contact the Internal Sec, Miss Becca
Jessica

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:51 pm

Certainly in the past two years, the motion would be published a few days to a week before the competition - both to the competitors and to members via posters - the original format being rounds on the Sunday, final on the Wednesday.

It worked well twofold, people knew what the debate was going to be about - thus letting them decide whether or not it would interest them, and the maiden speakers get plenty of time to prep.

I do hope something similar will happen this year, but please don't make it too stodgy and Economist...

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:19 pm

Don't change the Freshers' motion! Just make sure you pick a first prop who can do something funny with it and not make it all about politics.

/hint
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:46 pm

I'd also like to see an environment debate, perhaps about climate change.

THB Global Warming is a swindle.

I'd certainly, as a sustainable development student, speak against global warming.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:04 pm

A very deep card, yes, I like it! :)

Might I suggest you put the day of the week down beside the date of the month? I assume they're mostly Wednesdays, but sometimes we have them on Thursdays or Fridays, if there's been a booking conflict or it's felt desirable to hold it next to the weekend.

It might be worthwhile to take a look at possibly announcing the Maidens final in advance; you can draw the speaking order with 15 minutes to spare, of course, but it's generally easier to draw if people know what they're coming to, and it might improve the standard of the debate if people can research, too. But it really depends what kind of a competition you're going for. I think we announced the motion in my year, but John was running IVs back then so I think I pretty much left that sort of thing to him.

Just one more suggestion: it might be worth revising the wording of the trade debate motion, because the objection of those who are skeptical about Fairtrade isn't usually that it's unfair as such, but more that it distracts attention from the real objective of creating a free international trading system that is genuinely fair - so basically that it doesn't go far enough. I always thought 'THB that Free Trade is Better than Fairtrade' would make a nice motion - a good, clear dichotomy between positions, with no confusion over what either side is meant to be arguing about. But that's only my suggestion, if course.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:39 pm

On maidens I dimly recall that we will announce well in advance, I will certainly push for it, we have a lot to learn from the mistakes of maidens this year compared to my first year.

The advantage with maidens is that we can still announce well in advance without announcing now, if you get my meaning. It is not a debate where speakers have to be approached now and so gives the board a chance to await any further developments. For example my year was the clerics of hate debate, given recent events something similar could happen, or the Iranian nuclear question my change, or the Jewish academic boycott etc.
ChrisH

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting ChrisH from 22:39, 3rd Jul 2007
On maidens I dimly recall that we will announce well in advance, I will certainly push for it, we have a lot to learn from the mistakes of maidens this year compared to my first year.

The advantage with maidens is that we can still announce well in advance without announcing now, if you get my meaning. It is not a debate where speakers have to be approached now and so gives the board a chance to await any further developments. For example my year was the clerics of hate debate, given recent events something similar could happen, or the Iranian nuclear question my change, or the Jewish academic boycott etc.

Yes that year the motion was anounced on the posters before as a normal debate except that the motion was not placed on the term card. I see no reason why a motion cant be realeased early. While a long-prep motion may go against the grain of IV style competition I think maidens is one of the events of the year where LPH and the competitive sides of the society can come together and pull off a really great event!
OhhMy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:57 am

...or the Jewish academic boycott etc.

Israeli academic boycott. One is an almost understandable, if moronic, political statement, the other would be the most shameful anti-semitism.

(Edit: To clarify, moronic on the part of the academics, not you!)
exnihilo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:59 am

Also, I second David's recommendation for the trade motion, and can I suggest again recasting the Alumnus debate as something like "never been better/worse" rather than "better in my day", I think you'll get a fuller House if it's less "I'm old and I shall lecture you".
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:38 pm

I have vested interest as I'm down to speak in the Alumnus Debate, but I agree with Dr Joss, something like "THB that St Andrews has never been better" might be a bit more crowd-friendly. But, hell, I'll go with whatever the motion is on the night, I've done it before. Like my speech will be dictated by the motion anyway!

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:53 pm

That's a good idea. It's always helpful to leave a slot or two for something topical, and since a competition final has traditionally been a hard sell to students who don't participate, making it about something they read in the Times (we can hope) the other day is always a handy inducement.

[hr]

David Bean

On Maidens...

Postby Jessica on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:21 am

You're all right. My error. I put down short prep because that's what it was this year and I was trying to remember, but you're all correct, it's going to be long prep so that:

1. People will have a chance to decide whether or not they are interested/wish to come.
2. The Maiden speakers themselves do a bit of research and preparation (generally makes for a more interesting debate!)
3. We can advertise it!

and all of the other reasons already posted on this thread. It will be announced in advance, but for now the motion is TBC.

As a side note, I think the fairtrade edit is quite interesting. I must say, I'm most excited for the Israel debate...and Father Christmas.
Jessica

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:20 pm

Yes, a Christmas debate should be fun. Last time we had one of those was my year, and it might just have been a pub debate, but summing up in favour of Christmas we had a very special guest: taking some time out of his very busy schedule, Santa Claus himself!

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:03 pm

I have a horrible sinking feeling that there might be some parties who will not be wild about the wording of the Israel motion. In the grand tradition of people failing to understand the point of a debating motion. I'd like to be wrong, but...
exnihilo

Next

Return to Union Debating Society