Home

TheSinner.net

World Schools Debating Championships

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

World Schools Debating Championships

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:33 am

For the information of anyone interested in Schools Debating, the Grand Final of the World Championships was held this morning in South Korea and was won by ... Scotland.

They defeated Singapore in the Final, having knocked out England in the semi-finals. It is the first time they have won since 1999.

The team consisted of: Neil Dewar (High School of Dundee), Joanna Farmer (Robert Gordons College), Callum Jones, Stuart Cullen (both George Heriots) and Netan Dogra (Grove Academy). Netan of course has now won both Worlds and the Schools International Mace this year.

Further details to follow when the tab is released.

[hr]

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

shameless plug...

Postby Kizzy on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:08 am

Of course, for a number of the members of this team, the first experience they had of debating was in the Courier-CIOBS junior schools debating competition...

I'm delighted at the win. The speakers have been debating really well all year in competition, and I attended a training session with the team earlier on in the year, where they were looking pretty impressive.

The text and email updates I've had would indicate that they've had a fabulous time, too!
Kizzy

Return to Union Debating Society