Home

TheSinner.net

FAO IV veterans

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

FAO IV veterans

Postby David Bean on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:53 pm

Did anyone else know that Deano himself - Alex Deane, for the uninitiated - went on to become the Chief of Staff for David Cameron? I was browsing Conservative home yesterday, and there he was. I couldn't believe it!

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 am

I did know this but only when I caught up with him at the LSE Open this summer. Alex Ward is now working for Shell...

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Rumour has it that Deane was running Cameron's campaign up until the Tory Party Conference directly preceding the post-Howard leadership election. According to legend, Deane told Cameron to give a no-hold-barred defense of the family and conservative social values.

Cameron dumped the whole thing, talked about change, saw his polls soar, and the rest, as they say, is history.

So the story goes...

Deane's always popping up on 18doughtystreet.com and other right-wing things. He was recently on a panel about Iran. He was arguing a difficult position (that the US/UK must attack Iran), but he destroyed his fellow guests in the ensuing debate.

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Interesting. I was talking to him a few years ago at the Oxford IV, and after a debate about Iran's nuclear programme he said he reckoned the most rational thing for Iran to do would be to develop the weapons as quickly as possible, just to hold the West to ransom. Evidently he now thinks we should just invade the buggers before they can manage it!

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:17 pm

Well if they actually got nukes history does show that they would be fine. The US etc does certainly seem to have a very different attitude towards you once you actually have a nuke or two...
ChrisH

Return to Union Debating Society