Home

TheSinner.net

Atholl Crescent Debating Society

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Atholl Crescent Debating Society

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:48 am

ESU Scotland has established a debating society for those of us who have (or in my case should have) retired from active debating or who would quite like to come along to a debate but don't fancy being seven or more years older than the freshers.
The opening debate of this year is to be held on Wednesday night In the Gallery at Atholl Crescent in Edinburgh, on the motion that This House would trade Liberty for security. I am speaking in proposition alongside Jono Ferreira, and in opposition are Andy Hume and Bob Dalrymple.
The debate starts at 1900 and will be followed by wine, snacks, and then I imagine we will decamp to the bar. So if you want to see old hacks showing little to no interest in formal BP analysis debating, or just to laugh as my prop case is obliterated then contact Rob Marrs at ESU Scotland, or just pitch up on the night.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:00 am

Is there a similar bash for those of us currently incarcerated in the Metropolis? Ideally with more of a focus on port drinking and less on BP.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:57 pm

I think Dartmouth House (ESU headquarters) run loads of show debates, have a look at the British debate website and that should give you details of what events they are running. Of course they are a little more serious than the potential trainwreck of this Wednesday!

Quoting Mr Comedy from 12:00, 10th Sep 2007
Is there a similar bash for those of us currently incarcerated in the Metropolis? Ideally with more of a focus on port drinking and less on BP.

[hr]

[hr]

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:11 pm

How about Manchester - any chance you could publish a directory? :)

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:48 am

(and maybe we need one in southern New England)
Bonnie

Return to Union Debating Society