Home

TheSinner.net

Worlds 2008: Assumption Uni, Thailand

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Worlds 2008: Assumption Uni, Thailand

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:11 pm

Best of luck to all of the St Andrews teams currently in Thailand for the Worlds. I know rounds haven't started yet, but could someone at the competition be good enough to post results from the rounds up so we know how the teams are getting on? Cheers!

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

After Day One:

Postby kdc4 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:11 pm

Team A: Connie and Doug
First, Second, First (eight points)

Team B: Chris and Rach
First, Second, Second (seven points)

Team C: Zoe and Frank
Second, Third, Third (four points)

Round One:
THW: Allow the Use of Torture

Round Two:
THB: Taiwan should declare independence now.

Round Three:
THW: Stop local governments paying homeless people to relocate.

Jess is already chairing all of her rooms, and Miles has been seeing reasonably-good rooms, so a good start on the judging front.

A fairly good start from St Andrews, but its early days yet. There were some major delays so its now past eleven, with rounds and dinner just finished.

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby Dickie on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:27 pm

Good start, keep it up.

Best of British to you all.

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:28 pm

Riveting motions as always from Worlds.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby TC on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:09 pm

Well done guys, good luck.

[hr]

Per Ardua ad Astra
Per Ardua ad Astra
TC

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting Steveo from 16:28, 29th Dec 2007
Riveting motions as always from Worlds.

[hr]

Get off my internet.

You obviously missed out "THBT the War on Terror is the new McCarthyism" at Worlds 2004/5. Might be entertaining in the break rooms, but for the 1000 odd ESL debaters who had no idea what McCarthyism was/is it was just painful.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Worlds: Day Two

Postby kdc4 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:54 pm

St Andrews A (Connie, Doug). Starting: 8

Third, Second, First (14 points)

St Andrews B (Chris, Rach). Starting: 7

Second, Fourth, First (12 points)

St Andrews C (Frank, Zoe). Starting: 4

First, Third, ? (haven't seen them...)

Motions: (Rather boring ones, on the whole)

Round Four: THB: That the EU should only fund sustainable development projects.

Round Five: THW: Force all defendants to use a court-appointed lawyer.

Round Six: THW: Apply different campaign finance contribution restrictions to foreign donors.

Jess continues to chair rooms.

As always, day three will decide all...

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Jason

Postby Jason on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:45 pm

Many congratulations to all of you kids so far - best of luck for day three - I wish I was there with you lot - Plus 3 teams on break contention at this stage is rather amazing, who is running at the top of the tab? Just a sad old hacks question...don't worry if you don't have time.
Jason

Re:

Postby mattina on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:37 pm

I think Zoe and Frank took a second in round three placing them on 10 points!

-Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting kdc4 from 14:54, 30th Dec 2007THW: Apply different campaign finance contribution restrictions to foreign donors.

Assuming they mean "different to the restrictions applied to domestic donors" rather than just "different in whatever way the proposer feels like suggesting to the restrictions that are in place right now", wouldn't that be status quo in most countries? I'm sure I can't think of any that treats foreign and domestic donors exactly the same.

Good luck to everyone as break night approaches...

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:14 pm

Quoting David Bean from 01:08, 31st Dec 2007
Quoting kdc4 from 14:54, 30th Dec 2007THW: Apply different campaign finance contribution restrictions to foreign donors.

Assuming they mean "different to the restrictions applied to domestic donors" rather than just "different in whatever way the proposer feels like suggesting to the restrictions that are in place right now", wouldn't that be status quo in most countries? I'm sure I can't think of any that treats foreign and domestic donors exactly the same.

Good luck to everyone as break night approaches...

[hr]

It's not word for word on the motions...

Sam Block and Adam Bott are likely to top the tab. Zoe and Frank were probably not in a break room, though they will finish on a respectable score, whatever.

Chris and Rach think they were on seventeen or eighteen points heading into round nine, as do Connie and Doug.

Doug absolutely self-destructed in extension in round nine, which probably puts St Andrews A out of contention. No word yet from Chris and Rach as to their performance.

Miles got his first chair assignment, whilst Jess continues to chair rooms.

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby Imago on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting kdc4 from 13:14, 31st Dec 2007
Doug absolutely self-destructed in extension in round nine, which probably puts St Andrews A out of contention.
Cheers,
-Doug

So you're not breaking then Doug? Only 18th? WELL DONE!!! xxx
Imago

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Now if I remember from my last visit, the Break is usually nigh-on midnight, and that means Doug will already be in bed, seeing as it's 4am.

Oh, you lot do tease...

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:28 pm

OK, so a wee bit of research shows that St Andrews A broke.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_QXRm8WxqwVE/R3l ... 2BDraw.JPG

Congrats in the highest for being in Octo 7!

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby mattina on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 pm

Connie and Doug broke 18th on 19 points!

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby Frank George on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:19 pm

The preliminary rounds are over, and St Andrews has done well.

St Andrews A (Connie and Doug) broke solidly at 18th on the tab with 19 team points.

St Andrews B (Chris and Rachael) was in break rooms for the last day. Adjudication results were not released today and I have not found a tab, so I don't know about team points.

St Andrews C (Zoe and I), according to a reliable source, finished on 16 team points. Zoe deserves a lot of credit for dealing with me and dragging us along.

Our alumnus Anthony "Toby McGuinty Sullivan O'Murphy" Murphy also made the judging break.

Jess and Miles both served as chair judges at some point throughout the competition.

I checked back on my notes and found the exact wording of that sixth round motion: This house would subject foreign political contributions to greater restrictions than domestic contributions.

This was my first Worlds and I have enjoyed it a lot. It is such a different experience than anything I have seen before. Just devoting 3 days to debating really got me into the rhythm of things. I to got out of the Scottish/English/Irish circuit and see what the rest of the world does. I definitely think I improved. I learned a lot from feedback from good judges (and learned better how to recognise and try to deal with the truly, truly, truly stupid ones). I really hope I can get to go to Cork Worlds next year!

The next few days should be interesting. We have two days off, then debating starts again with octo-finals for Connie and Doug. Good luck to them; they should go far!

Bedtime for me; it's quite late. Happy New Year from those of us who are already in 2008!
Frank George

Re:

Postby Imago on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting Lid from 20:28, 31st Dec 2007
OK, so a wee bit of research shows that St Andrews A broke.

To think that I imagined St Andrews students could cope with irony and indeed read numbers...
Imago

Re:

Postby TC on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:21 pm

Well done everyone for a fantastic set of results. Good luck for the rest of the tournerment and a Happy New Year.

[hr]

Per Ardua ad Astra
Per Ardua ad Astra
TC

Re:

Postby Jenni on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:34 am

Congrats to Connie & Doug - breaking 2 yrs in a row - a great achievement

Happy New Year when it comes
Jenni

Re:

Postby Sally on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Congratulations to Connie and Doug, and good luck in the octos! It sounds like the other teams did really well as well. Hope you're all having a good time in Thailand!

Happy New Year
Sally

Next

Return to Union Debating Society