Home

TheSinner.net

Tay Weekend 2008

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Tay Weekend/Balaka 2008

Postby mattina on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:43 pm

Hello!

The Tay Weekend this year will be on the 11-12 of April. Instead of St Andrews running it's IV on the Friday and Dundee running their open on the Saturday, this year we will be running a joint IV compeition over the two days.

We will be running 5 preliminary round with rounds Friday evening in Dundee then the final rounds, semi and final in St Andrews on the Saturday.

I know that this is really far in the future but I wanted to make everyone aware of the date as I'll need alot of help to run the competition!

Details are to follow but if you would like to help mark the date on your calendar.

I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:54 pm

An eminently sensible idea; well done to those who got their heads together and organised it.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby mattina on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Just as a heads up: trials for the 3 St Andreans to represent the UDS in the Balaka will be soon.

Those who are interested-please email me at lem55

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby mattina on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:05 am

Balaka Trials: Will be held on the 27th of March at 5:30 pm. Location TBA.

All those wishing to trial please let me know BEFOREHAND at lem55.

The Balaka is an individuals tournament with 3 a side (like Maidens). The preliminary rounds will be on the day of April 13th and the final will be on the motion 'TH supports the use of sporting events as political tools' that evening in LPH.

Thanks!

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby mattina on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:24 pm

Hello again! I realised that I had overlooked posting that this years Invitational Balaka Individual Speakers competition will take place on the 13th of April, which is the Sunday immeadiately following the IV and preceeding the re-starting of term following the Easter holidays.

questions? queries? - lem55

as ever,
Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby mattina on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Balaka trials will take place on Thursday the 27th of April from 5:30 SHARP in the Salad bowl until whenever they are finished that night.

The format of the judging will be explained to competitors prior to the start of trials.

I ask that EVERYONE wishing to trial email me at lem55 beforehand so on the night we don't have to waste time organising stuff and figuring out who is trialling and who isn't (like happened at euros trials).

Thanks; any questions, etc email me!

as ever,
Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Quoting mattina from 16:29, 17th Mar 2008
Balaka trials will take place on Thursday the 27th of April from 5:30 SHARP in the Salad bowl until whenever they are finished that night.

The format of the judging will be explained to competitors prior to the start of trials.

I ask that EVERYONE wishing to trial email me at lem55 beforehand so on the night we don't have to waste time organising stuff and figuring out who is trialling and who isn't (like happened at euros trials).

Thanks; any questions, etc email me!

as ever,
Laura

I think that's the 27th of March...
kdc4

Re:

Postby mattina on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 am

Just a quick reminder that trials to speak in the Balaka will be taking place tomorrow the 27 March with the first round announced promptly at 5:30 in the Salad Bowl.

I ask that anyone wishing to trial email ahead of time (preferably today but no later than 1 tomorrow) so I can set everything up ahead of time. Those who do not are not guaranteed that they can trial

Laura - lem55
mattina

Re:

Postby Lid on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:29 pm

What is the Salad Bowl? Is that what the Dover Room used to be called?

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Do I see another perfectly pointless name change by the Union? I thought they'd got that out of their system a few years back.
Al

Re:

Postby mattina on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:34 am

trials will be in what was formerly the Salad Bowl, which is now called the Dover Room, for those (like myself) who were unaware of the change!
mattina

Balaka Trial Results

Postby mattina on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:46 am

Thank you to everyone who turned up and trialled. It was great to have so many turn up and I for one enjoyed the trials immensely!

As I stated at trials, the tab will not be released. We had 8 triallists so we had a room of 6 and then 2 speak in the first two rounds so that everyone was allowed to speak (even though it isn't quite ideal it was felt it was better than having 2 people just sit out). There was then a third round with the top 6 speakers from the first two rounds.

Congratulations to everyone as trials were close. Representing St Andrews in the Balaka are:

1. Doug Cochran
2. Beth Conner
3. James Beadle

And Zoe Sutherland is our 4th speaker should there be a spot on the day to be filled!

I hope to see everyone at the competition!

As ever, any questions, queries, etc please email me at lem55

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby Jason on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:17 pm

What time are people getting to Dundee on the Friday? I should be there about half 1 so the question is do I come and help set up or find a pub/visit Greg's family?

How many teams are registered??? This is going to be fun.
Jason

Re:

Postby mattina on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:24 am

I'm going to try to have an exodus of St Andreans leaving at about half one although I have a feeling that because of Mr Rouf, I (and Rachael-Rachael and Joey) may not be leaving St Andrews until closer to two. That said, I will be there absolutely no later than half two which should still be enough time to set up if we work quickly!

As for registered teams, it is going to be a rather small competition I think but one of high quality.

Want to help on the day? Questions? email- lem55

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby Jason on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:38 am

Damn straight it will be high quality - I have already appointed Dim as my Deputy Equity Officer...
Jason

Balaka Final

Postby mattina on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:56 pm

I would like to invite everyone to the final of the 2008 Balaka Individual Speakers Competition which is being held on the 13th of April in Lower Parliament Hall.

There will be a wine reception from 6:30 and the final is to begin at 7:30.

Attire is encouraged to be formal.

This is your chance to meet the High Commissioner of Bangladesh and Ted Brocklebank!

Speaking will be six of the best speakers from the United Kingdom and Ireland on the motion 'TH supports the use of sport as a political tool'.

I look forward to seeinge everyone at what is guaranteed to be a most enjoyable evening.

Laura (lem55)
mattina

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:50 pm

Quoting jason from 10:38, 2nd Apr 2008
Damn straight it will be high quality - I have already appointed Dim as my Deputy Equity Officer...

What about the inevitable tension over the acceptability of Irish jokes?
ChrisH

Re:

Postby Jason on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:45 pm

What tension? The paddy is "deputy" for a reason...I wonder if this will get deleted by the moderator.
Jason

Friday/Saturday/Sunday Schedules

Postby mattina on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:33 am

Hello!

Friday: please be at the bus station just before 2 to get the bus to Dundee. Once in Dundee, please do to the Dundee University Tower Building (the lecture theatre is on your left just as you enter the building, across from the security desk). This is to assist in setting up the rooms, etc and getting sorted for when everyone starts to arrive.

If you have any debates clothing (like a hoodie...) please wear it so other people can identify us!

Saturday: Please be outside the Union (with a packed lunch) no later that 9:30. If you are late you will not be able to get in.

Again, please wear your hoodie!

Sunday: To help, please be in the Salad Bowl/Dover Room/Whatever-it-may-be-now-room at 10 am. Or stop by during the day if you can't make the entire day-you will be able to get in whatever time you show up this day!

Again, please wear hoodies!

Any questions or if you're planning on helping any of these days and haven't told me yet, please email at lem55 so I know to expect you!

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby Dickie on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Quoting mattina from 12:33, 7th Apr 2008
If you have any debates clothing (like a hoodie...) please wear it so other people can identify us!
Again, please wear your hoodie!
Again, please wear hoodies!

As one who lacks a hoody, would a gown be a sutable alternative?

I hope to make it to Dundee but I will be late 3.30 0r 4. I will not be able to help on Saturday 'til 3.30 or 4 what is the time table for that bit of the day and later?
Where and when is the final?

I think I am free all day on Sunday so able to help all day.

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Next

Return to Union Debating Society