Home

TheSinner.net

Durham Opens

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Durham Opens

Postby mattina on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:48 am

Hello!

I've copied the British Debate email about Durham Opens here. Please email Durham directly to self- register (but please let me know if you're going). Likewise please email me if you have any questions!

Laura (lem55)

From Durham:

Dear Debaters,

This year's Durham Open takes place on Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th June, just two weeks before Euros.

We are hoping that this competition can act as a chance for last-minute practice before Tallinn.

All teams are now invited to register for the Open. We are not setting a team cap for the moment, HOWEVER if demand is greater than the number of teams we can accommodate, those requesting registration by email first will be given priority. It's a bit like Euros reg., but less hi-tech.

Registration will be £45 per team, with no charge for judges.

We're not going to insist on n-1, particularly because we're expecting composites to enter the Open, but this is also a great opportunity for all judges going to Euros, so we'd encourage anyone doing so to come along.

We'll be running 5 rounds, breaking to semis.

Timetable and other relevant info. will follow soon.

Hope to see you all in June.

IMPORTANT: Please send registration emails to durhamopen@gmail.com

It makes things easier for us.

Calum Jones and Philip Alexander
Co-Conveners
mattina

Re:

Postby Jessica on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi Laura,

Are we planning on paying for Durham Opens reg for people if they're in an all-st andrews team?
Jessica

Re:

Postby Jason on Sun May 04, 2008 4:22 pm

This may not be as fun as when the motions are Open too but I really do recomend that as many people as possible come - you can do the weekend and get back to almost anywhere on the Sunday when it is over - apart from the fun this is the best chance to meet the best teams with the most solid judging out-there (apart from St Andrews).
Jason

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Mon May 05, 2008 7:43 am

Its probably as much fun as when the motions were open baring in mind one team ran banning whaling one year - didn't they Jason?
Seriously, it is fun, there are cool people, it is great Euros prep - and I guarantee you can't drink all the Alcohol they provide - trust me, I have tried on five occasions already!

[hr]

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Jason on Tue May 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Ewan dear boy - if the fates conspire this year (and Doug's carrying muscles are in good shape) then regadless of the final motion you could be faced with licenced whales able to get abortions up to the point of the first contraction....
Jason

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Wed May 07, 2008 10:20 am

Jason, I can promise you, that if you run anything like that, and I'm judging you, Bad Things will happen.

I don't know what they'll be yet, but I'll take between now and Durham to plan them, and update threats as necessary!
Kizzy

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Wed May 07, 2008 3:40 pm

Quoting Kizzy from 11:20, 7th May 2008
Jason, I can promise you, that if you run anything like that, and I'm judging you, Bad Things will happen.

I don't know what they'll be yet, but I'll take between now and Durham to plan them, and update threats as necessary!

In fairness the 'whaling permits' motion was mine. Almost as bad as common fisheries.

Since then Durham Opens has been closed...

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby Jason on Wed May 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Doug - I really think we should stop being sorry for it - very soon everyone who remembers it will be long gone and we can claim it was a spark of brilliance that was unrecognised by our peers.

Besides just cos motions are closed it doesn't mean we have to obey that...on the other hand I like the idea of claiming credit for closing the motions...either way this should be an epic contest - and now that you drink Doug I can introduce you to morning rum.
Jason

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Quoting jason from 20:22, 7th May 2008
Doug - I really think we should stop being sorry for it - very soon everyone who remembers it will be long gone and we can claim it was a spark of brilliance that was unrecognised by our peers.

Besides just cos motions are closed it doesn't mean we have to obey that...on the other hand I like the idea of claiming credit for closing the motions...either way this should be an epic contest - and now that you drink Doug I can introduce you to morning rum.

Gin or port - not rum.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Jason on Tue May 13, 2008 6:52 pm

Shame sir - Morgan Spiced is the only breakfast drink - port should be in the evening and G&T is only acceptable after 10am unless you have drunk right through - the beauty of Morgans is that it is smooth enough while still breaking through the morning pain.
Jason

Congratulations!

Postby mattina on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:51 pm

The winners of this year's Durham Open are Jason Vit and Doug Cochran from second propostition on the motion 'THW recolonise failed African states' after avoiding the pitfalls of the counter opposition put forward by Cambridge. It was also one of the most amusing speeches Doug has ever given.

Congratulations also to Miles and Zoe who broke eigth on tab to the semis after tying on team and speaker points with another team for the spot but conquering them on tab by taking more wins than the other team.

Congratulations to Doug and Rafael for breaking second on tab to semis and then reaching the final of this year's Newcastle Open. A huge congratulations to Rafael for an amazing summation that won the debate, Doug happened just to have been there and spoken sense, which was more than first opposition in fairness.

Congratulations to Chris Harper and Kenny for coming ninth on the tab and missing the break by just four speaks.
mattina

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:59 am

Quoting jason from 19:52, 13th May 2008
Shame sir - Morgan Spiced is the only breakfast drink - port should be in the evening and G&T is only acceptable after 10am unless you have drunk right through - the beauty of Morgans is that it is smooth enough while still breaking through the morning pain.

Only just seen this - port is any time I damn well please.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Return to Union Debating Society