Home

TheSinner.net

The Courier Schools Debating Competition 2008-9

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

The Courier Schools Debating Competition 2008-9

Postby Laura on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:23 am

Just to let everyone know that the draw for the first round of The Courier is complete, and that anyone interested in chairing, serjeanting or judging should e-mail either the school's secretary James Beadle on jb582, or myself on lawilson@dcthomson.co.uk (or even post your contact details on this thread and one of us will get back to you!)

Participating in rounds will get you free dinner, increase your chances of coming to the final, improve your debating technique and look good on your CV. There is no experience required if you are new to debating and want to come along (especially in the first round!) so get in touch.

The first round will kick off on October 23rd and finish on November 27th,

Laura
The Courier Schools Debating Competition,
Tornament Convener.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re: The Courier Schools Debating Competition 2008-9

Postby ChrisH on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:09 pm

What days are rounds taking place on this year?
ChrisH

Postby Laura on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:38 pm

The heats will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but there are three exceptions! These are-

Wednesday 29th October
Monday 3rd November
Wednesday 12th November

Hope you can find time to volunteer Chris!

Laura.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Postby ekpyrotic on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm interested, I was on the high school's debating team - but it was pretty amateur.

jg457
ekpyrotic

The end of round one!

Postby Laura on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks to everyone who came to a heat in the first round (which ended last night) I really appreciate how helpful you all were, and that so many of you were happy to swap about where it was needed (at such short notice!)
The second round will begin on the 13th January- details to follow soon....

Thanks!

Laura :P
Laura

Postby Kizzy on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Congratulations, Laura, on getting the first round out of the way. Trust me, it's always the worst!
Kxx
Kizzy

Return to Union Debating Society