Home

TheSinner.net

Cork Worlds 2009

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Cork Worlds 2009

Postby Owen Wilton on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:52 am

To the 8 St Andreans at Worlds: go forth and conquer. You’ve worked hard, and deserve to do well. If I could support you in person, nodding sagaciously at everything you said/every judging call you made, then I would. I’m afraid this will have to do. Debating begins on Monday, and will, as the title suggests, continue into the first days of the new year. For those interested, commentaries are available (I think) on Facebook, and the World Debating Website, http://www.debating.ie. The IV Sec has said she'll try to post here if/when she can, but I'd rather she focused on the competition...

Best of luck,
Owen
Owen Wilton

Re: Cork Worlds 2009

Postby Owen Wilton on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:11 pm

I thought I'd add another link: the official competition blog is http://corkworlds.blogspot.com/). The online updates are excellent-I especially like the scintillating aperçu into the state of the lunch queue on Day Two.) The motions thus far:

Round Three: This House would allow soldiers to sue their government for negligence.
Round Two: This House would fire the senior management of all companies which receive government bailouts.
Round One: This House would ban all forms of gambling.
Owen Wilton

Postby Owen Wilton on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:19 pm

The latest from Cork:

Round Six: This House would criminalise adultery.
Round Five: This House believes that China and India should bear the same obligations as the West in fighting climate change. Round Four: This House would force the religious desegregation of Northern Irish schools.
Owen Wilton

Postby Guest on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:53 pm

anyone know how the teams and Claire and Chris are getting on?

Postby Jessica in Albuquerque on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:26 pm

I want a tab! There's no tab! Where are the competitors? I want updates! BAHHH!

(Good luck guys!)
Jessica in Albuquerque

Postby Owen Wilton on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:58 pm

I'm sure they'll post when they get a chance. I did manage to find an unofficial list of results, but it's based, sadly, on a mad susurrus of hearsay, and there is no mention of St Andrews. "Your German Correspondent" (http://yourgermancorrespondent.blogspot.com/) has tentatively published this extract, based on the rankings after Round Five:

Bonaparte C 6
Bonaparte B 9
Bonaparte A 6
St. Gallen 5
Galway A 9
Zagreb A 8
Deree A 9
Deree B 5
Deree C 5
Oxford A 12
Oxford B 13
Oxford C 12
Galatasaray A 8
Koc A 8
Koc B 5
BBU A 7
MIT A 11
Manchester A 12
Manchester B 6
Wellington A 13
Cambridge C 12
Seattle U A 11
Portland A 9
Alaska B 9
Muenster A 6
IIUM A 8
Ataneo A 7
Sydney B 12
Monash A 13
HSG A 10

Very enigmatic. It looks like an airport bulletin, or an examination answer key. I don't think this tells us much at all: it's a random cross-section of the tab, not a list of the top teams in contention for the break: "six" hardly seems like a good score after Round Five. Or am I misreading it?
Owen Wilton

Postby Frank George on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:53 am

I've been addicted to looking for results (sure beats revising) for the past two days but have heard mention of St Andrews. I hope to hear some good news soon!

Good luck to the St Andreans for Day Three!
Frank George

Postby James Beadle on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:42 am

Hey Guys

Ok, what you've all been wanting to hear. After the six open rounds the scores where......

St Andrews A: 11
St Andrews B: 13
St Andrews C: 9

So all teams are in break contention! (The break is predicted at 18, losing a couple of teams on speaks. Two closed rounds out of three remain, we've just finished the first one. Miles and I hope we did well, the motion was 'This house would recognise the indepdence of Abkhazia'. We had first prop :)

Claire and Harper are both doing well, although Harper has picked up an unhealthy habit of rolling his chairs, admittedly with some sucess. They've both managed to hit some very good rooms, admittedly also the occasional bin.

Sorry for the lack of updates, the internet connection at the hotel has died due to over use - I'm in a computer lab instead. Not too mcuh gossip, sinner isn't really the place for it anyway. Hope your all having fun revising!

Happy New Year!
James Beadle

Postby Z o e on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:47 pm

AMAZING :D
Congratulations guys - those scores are just beautiful.
Wishing you luck for the break tonight, and a very happy new year!
Z o e

Postby Jason on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:02 pm

Forgot to log in so this will be repeated when a moderator has taken a look.

First off well done to you all and the best of luck with the remaining results.

Could someone fill me in on who is in the A, B and C teams - I am so out of touch.

I shall be looking for the break as soon as it is public!

Jason
Jason

Postby Frank George on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm

You're all doing very well! Good luck tonight and have fun!

For Jason and the uninformed:

A = Chris and Rachael
B = Miles and James
C = Laura and Madd(y/ie [I don't really know which way to spell it])

Judges = Claire and The Other Chris H
Frank George

Postby Philip Goose on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:15 pm

Where is Abkhazia? I thought that was where they kept Sirius Black...

Awesome work guys! Have a great New Year everyone.
I provide wittitainments.
Philip Goose

Postby Owen Wilton on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:22 pm

Yes Phil, c.f. Harry Potter and the International Incident with Georgia.
Owen Wilton

Postby Owen Wilton on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:25 pm

I also forgot to log in, so a phantasmic post may emerge later. Excellent results!
Owen Wilton

Postby Jessica on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:37 pm

You are hilarious. I was having a super dull morning until I read this thread.

AMAZING job guys! You're heroic! You're on a roll! Beat them! Beat them all! (and tell us how it goes)

And in case you were wondering, Phil, it was your comment that made my day.
Jessica

Postby Owen Wilton on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:13 pm

http://globaldebateblog.blogspot.com/

This blog has a video recording of one of the Round Five debates, along with footage of the subsequent judging feedback. In keeping with today's theme, St Andrews isn't involved (alas). It must be one of the good rooms, as it's full of our Antipodean rivals. I haven't actually watched it beyond the first minute of first prop.

The blog editor aims to post "more videos from the elimination rounds" so we may yet see the St Andreans in action.
Owen Wilton

Postby Owen Wilton on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:14 pm

Rumour has it that Oxford B and Sydney B are in contention for top of the tab, for those who wish to monitor that sort of thing (disdainful look).
Owen Wilton

Postby Imago on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:08 pm

Owen Wilton wrote:Rumour has it that Oxford B and Sydney B are in contention for top of the tab(disdainful look).

Hey c'mon - Oxford B are lovely guys - they've experienced the delights of a Dundee drunk walking right into the path of our car in which they were passengers, rolling across the bonnet, bending the wing mirror and staggering off as though nothing untoward had happened. These guys have lived life at the Tay Weekend!! :)
Imago

Postby Owen Wilton on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:01 pm

I was being ironically disdainful about people (like myself) who delight in the trivia of debates competitions, not the competitors themselves. A case of syllepsis. Or am I thinking of zeugma? (When the 'disdainful look' could apply to either clause.) Apologies, Imago.

Anyway, best of luck St Andrews! We'll be watching at midnight.
Owen Wilton

Postby Imago on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:47 am

If you rootle through the comments on Jens' blog you will find (a) that I put up the St A results as best I could and (b) that my friend on the other side of the world and I were having a laugh about us being ‘debating tragics … hunched over our computers’. I was just teasing. :) Now for the break actually being posted if Danny doesn’t announce at 100mph…
Imago

Next

Return to Union Debating Society