Home

TheSinner.net

Formal Dress Forum

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:36 am

Not if you are wearing a tattersall check waistcoat-camel, yes. I have always preferred a proper tweed jacket, rather than one of those with the tiny check, more like a plain jacket, but then I am quite a tactile person...
Not enough people wear waistcoats; I have brought one in cinnamon, but left my Rupert Bear one at home. Stupidly, I didn't bring a tweed jacket, so may have to visit Graham McGrath. I don't know when exactly to wear it; I get criticised by my room-mates for wearing shirts, so might be mocked even more.
I can, I suppose, wear it under a jumper when it starts to get cold.

[hr]"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Laura on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:06 pm

[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 11:36, 19th Nov 2003:[i]
I don't know when exactly to wear it; I get criticised by my room-mates for wearing shirts, so might be mocked even more.

Mr. Potton, I beg you to ignore them. The majority of men have no idea how to dress these days- I would suggest that your room mates would have a lot to learn style wise from yourself, Mr. Renouf, Mr. Wilson and Mr. Blair. God damn, it's about time someone had a rant about the turn offs to women which include;
Hooded sweatshirts
Parkas
wide legged jeans
trainers
blue denim.
There is nothing nicer to witness (speaking from a female point of view) than a gentleman with elegance. I don't understand why it was that society became so 'casual'in the latter part of the twentieth century- it's highly unattractive (at least from where I'm standing). So, as well as the attractiveness of gowns (which I believe we once discussed, my dear James) I would like to make a case for the following items being highly alluring to the female sex;
Tweed
A nicely pressed Oxford cotton shirt
Polished shoes (brown leather/black patent)
Slippers
smoking jackets
Pyjamas
trews
wool overcoats
dinner jackets
old school ties
university scalf
cinos (if a nice shade of cream)
dickie bows (with dress shirts)
cuff links
lovely lambswool sweaters, round or v-neck (worn over shirts)
non- comedy waistcoats
umberellas

RANT OVER

[hr]
"The English language is an arsenal of weapons. If you are going to brandish them about without checking to see whether or not they are loaded, you must expect them to explode in your face from time to time." (Stephen Fry in 'The Liar')
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:11 pm

[s]Laura wrote on 12:06, 19th Nov 2003:
[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 11:36, 19th Nov 2003:[i]
I don't know when exactly to wear it; I get criticised by my room-mates for wearing shirts, so might be mocked even more.

Mr. Potton, I beg you to ignore them. The majority of men have no idea how to dress these days- I would suggest that your room mates would have a lot to learn style wise from yourself, Mr. Renouf, Mr. Wilson and Mr. Blair. God damn, it's about time someone had a rant about the turn offs to women which include;
Hooded sweatshirts
Parkas
wide legged jeans
trainers
blue denim.
There is nothing nicer to witness (speaking from a female point of view) than a gentleman with elegance. I don't understand why it was that society became so 'casual'in the latter part of the twentieth century- it's highly unattractive (at least from where I'm standing). So, as well as the attractiveness of gowns (which I believed we once discussed, my dear James) I wouLd like to make a case for the following items being highly alluring to the female sex;
Tweed
A nicely pressed Oxford cotton shirt
Polished shoes (brown leather/black patent)
Slippers
smoking jackets
Pyjamas
trews
wool overcoats
dinner jackets
old school ties
university scalf
cinos (if a nice shade of cream)
dickie bows (with dress shirts)
cuff links
lovely lambswool sweaters, round or v-neck (worn over shirts)
non- comedy waistcoats
umberellas

RANT OVER
[/i]

I do sincerely hope that you are not entirely serious on the issue of smoking jackets, they went out of (formal) fashion so long ago, and tweed sexy?
Maybe Tweedledum, but that's about as far as it goes

[hr]
"No man is an Island"
John Donne
"I'm an island, I'm bloody Ibiza"
Will Freeman (a la Nick Hornby/Hugh Grant)
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby peter on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:15 pm

[s]Donald Renouf wrote on 01:47, 19th Nov 2003:
[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 00:58, 19th Nov 2003:[i]
Returning to the original purpose of the thread (controversial!), here's a thorny one: trews with a tweed day jacket and waistcoat?

Yes. But preferably in hunting tartan or the equivalent. Bright yellow MacLeod, for example, would be rather painful with tweed.
[/i]

Indeed. Hunting Stewart or similar would be in order, as indeed would Blair, but not, importantly, Ancient Blair. It wouldn't be a good idea to go with tweed and the new purple university tartan.

Sub question: is it right to judge a formerly great institution for its latter day crimes (i.e. tartan)

Spot the film reference...

Peter
peter

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:25 pm

I'm afraid the film reference is lost on me. It is good to hear from Miss Wilson that not everyone in the world has gone entirely mad. I have to say, wide-legged jeans, especially the ones which not only conceal the feet but also drag in puddles and suck up water like a candle-wick? Yuk yuk yuk. Stop it. Behave. A nice tweed jacket, on the other hand, is a thing of great beauty.

[hr]"In a battle between yourself and the world, back the world." Kafka
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:09 pm

Laura, i do agree with most of what you said, but men, i believe, can look exceptionally good in denim, if it is a good fit and is worn with nice brown shoes, a pale (perhaps checked) shirt and a round necked knitted sweater. It can even be slightly dressed up with a nice coat. Not for formal wear of course, but day wear. Very fetching in my opinion- can i not change your mind on the whole denim issue?
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby Laura on Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:15 pm

Unfortunately not- I can just about cope with it on a level of acceptance where a certain type of man is concerned (blonde, polo playing, a bit boring etc) however it does absolutely nothing for me. No, not too keen on men in jeans (especially blue.) Cinos or even some form of corduroy trouser (if cut well)is always preferable.

[hr] "The English language is an arsenal of weapons. If you are going to brandish them about without checking to see whether or not they are loaded, you must expect them to explode in your face from time to time." (Stephen Fry in 'The Liar')
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:27 pm

[s]Laura wrote on 13:15, 19th Nov 2003:
No, not too keen on men in jeans (especially blue.)

Please do not tell me that you are more partial to black denim or, heavan forbid.......WHITE denim- Yukki!
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:40 pm

I have both black and cream jeans, and wear them regularly, I am afraid to say.
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:51 pm

I would heartily agree with Mr. Wilson; in this day and age, I find it unbelievable that few appreciate how a houndstooth check tweed jacket, in my case in various honey tones, is so beautiful.
And Gowns also; they are exquisite. Thank you all for your messages of condolence; I hope they are a trifle unnecessary. One day I will get off my arse and walk to Hamilton to enquire about mine.
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:04 pm

[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 13:40, 19th Nov 2003:
I have both black and cream jeans, and wear them regularly, I am afraid to say.

But, you are so lovely, James, that you shall be forgiven.

Happy Birthday, by the way.
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:31 pm

I cannot speak about what the female sex does and does not find alluring - but I think, young Laura, that your post misses a vital point. Whether denim or dinner jacket, it is not so much WHAT one wears as HOW one wears it.

I was once a devotee of the houndstooth check and/or tweed jacket, which I routinely matched with a plain coloured waistcoat, and it was good. I am now the proud owner of jeans, trainers, leather jackets and upper body wear with neither stiff collar nor double cuffs, and it is likewise good.

The trick, for such it is, is to dress appropriately and to dress in what makes one feel comfortable.

On the subject of trous and tweeds, hmm. Why not? But I must agree that we should be thinking of muted tones in that instance. The more vivid tartans which work so well with black would be less impressive (dare I say nauseating?) with tweeds.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:58 pm

There is much in what you say. Some people will always look like monkeys in hired DJs, no matter how much money they spend. The shoes often give it away.

I think I'm fairly relaxed about trews'n'tweed also, under the strictures aforementioned.

[hr]"In a battle between yourself and the world, back the world." Kafka

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Laura on Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:51 pm

I totally agree that some people carry things off better than others, its just a personal preference on my part that I wouldn't find a gentleman, no matter how luscious he may be, to look particularly appealing in jeans etc. Tweeds and formal wear would be my "thing" and I am not ashamed to declare it.
On the subject of trews,tweed and waistcoat I was probably a bit hasty in my condemnation. I had an initial vision of an offensive waistcoat ruining a glorious jacket and as it was Mr. Wilson who started the idea, Gunn tartan trews. Having thought about it properly, I have changed my position somewhat. I just think its worth noting that there would be a fine line between a very handsome outfit and something that resembles a party costume for Toad of Toad Hall.
Clashes of colours and patterns are frequently made, and "doing a Bertie Wooster" should be avoided (pink feathered trilby to the Savoy)
although I often think Stephen Fry carries off mis-matched patterns very well; I once saw a photograph of him wearing a red, pink and orange thick check with a navy and yellow spotted tie under a heavy tweed suit. Before you all run for your sick buckets, I must say that the overall outcome was rather delicious.
Laura

'casual' wear

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:28 pm

seeing as people in the debating club disposition cannot, such as myself, carry off such a casual look we have to resort to dressing as if we were really old, which makes us stand out and look like proper idiots. Does this mean as we get older we are to dress younger?

[hr]"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
Tweedle-Dee

'Twas not I...

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:03 pm

Obviously the above statement is not the opinion of the authorised user. I should be more careful about logging out.

Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:01 am

[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 19:03, 19th Nov 2003:
Obviously the above statement is not the opinion of the authorised user. I should be more careful about logging out.

Then click on the edit button and change/delete it you fool

[hr]
"No man is an Island"
John Donne
"I'm an island, I'm bloody Ibiza"
Will Freeman (a la Nick Hornby/Hugh Grant)
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby Andrew Cusack on Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:02 am

Regarding Laura's comments.

How delightful to hear that a woman exists with such taste. Perhaps a future as fashion columnist for the Mitre, I dare ask?

I absolutely abhor denim in all of its incarnations. In my mind the only excuse for the wretched material is the typical white denim worn by polo players. The rest should be gathered up and used to heat the cold winter nights of Fife.

I am rather a fan of tweed, and can occasionally be seen floating about town in my delightfully comfortable tweed jacket. I originally bought it becase I am a member of a nominally-secret society which requires the wearing of a tweed jacket at all meetings and events, but have since found that is perfectly appropriate for more casual occasions as well.
I have an old Harris tweed that was gifted to me by my uncle, but it's a shade of almost bluegreen that seems odd to me. I can never figure out what to wear it with. Any suggestions?
Andrew Cusack

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:35 am

[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 17:28, 19th Nov 2003:
Does this mean as we get older we are to dress younger?

No, because then we run the risk of looking like Peter Stringfellow. Which is not, I think you will all agree, a good thing.

[hr]
"In a battle between yourself and the world, back the world." Kafka

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 am

[s]Andrew Cusack wrote on 01:02, 20th Nov 2003:
I have an old Harris tweed that was gifted to me by my uncle, but it's a shade of almost bluegreen that seems odd to me. I can never figure out what to wear it with. Any suggestions?

Might I suggest some elderly corduroy trousers, fingerless woollen gloves, holey shoes and a beard like a privet hedge? It seems to match.
exnihilo

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society