Home

TheSinner.net

Formal Dress Forum

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:57 am

Another poser: though I would not choose them myself, are patent leather slip-on shoes acceptable with evening dress?

Are, indeed, slip-on shoes EVER acceptable?

[hr]"In a battle between yourself and the world, back the world." Kafka
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby peter on Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:27 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 11:57, 15th Nov 2003:
Are, indeed, slip-on shoes EVER acceptable?

No, unless of course you happen to be the chaplain or wearing slippers. Slippers to tutorials anyone?

I, as may have been noticed, am up for cummerbund with trews and DJ (dinner jacket not 'Judge Jules', that would be unfortunate). If the trews are basically in place of DJ trousers then I'm assuming the same rules apply. Waistcoats could look distinctly dodgy though.

The ties issue is vexed: I once saw a chap with a new tie that proclaimed to all and sundry that he was a pupil of Hutchesons Grammar School for Girls. The Hutchesons part being the more unfortunate, I think... A light check with a striped tie can work.

Peter
peter

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:42 pm

and what on the issue of plum dinner jackets, surely velvet is the height of style
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby Tobias Joss on Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:18 pm

If in the case I strongly suspect - assuredly! And, Peter, we strongly approve of your adventurous approach to parentheses. Join us, young one.
Tobias Joss

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:22 pm

[s]Tobias Joss wrote on 16:18, 15th Nov 2003:
If in the case I strongly suspect - assuredly! And, Peter, we strongly approve of your adventurous approach to parentheses. Join us, young one.

Well that's possibly the oddest welcome ever, what next from Mr Wilson,
"Mr Blair, may I be the first to congratulate you on that excellent positioning of your full stops"
or for the sarcastically impared, the getting of a life may be required by a certain father of the house
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:29 pm

[s]Tweedledum wrote on 16:22, 15th Nov 2003:
[s]Tobias Joss wrote on 16:18, 15th Nov 2003:[i]

Well that's possibly the oddest welcome ever, what next from Mr Wilson,
"Mr Blair, may I be the first to congratulate you on that excellent positioning of your full stops"
or for the sarcastically impared, the getting of a life may be required by a certain father of the house
[/i]

I must apologise profusely, my sarcasm should wholeheartedly to mr Joss, and my heartfelt apology to Mr Wilson
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby Tobias Joss on Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:36 pm

I'm sure Wilson will be as magnanimous in accepting your apology as I am flattered to have received your sarcasm!
Tobias Joss

Re:

Postby Donald Renouf on Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:44 pm

Evening pumps are perfectly acceptable with a dinner jacket. Ordinary slip-on shoes which happen to be made of patent leather are not.

Oh, and don't trust anything Tweedledum says - he wears variegated waistcoats.
Donald Renouf

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:39 am

Tweedledum, I think Mr. Joss has spoken for me. Whatever the hell you were talking about.

Evening pumps, Mr. Renouf. Technically, I suppose, but I tend to think that a well-tied and well-shined patent Oxford is so much more stylish, and less likely to make one look, well, like a bit of a weirdo. So I question their utility.

I'm glad, Mr. Blair, that you have discovered our little coven here. You are most welcome, but then I always thought that "There is another..."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:19 am

[s]Donald Renouf wrote on 18:44, 15th Nov 2003:
Evening pumps are perfectly acceptable with a dinner jacket. Ordinary slip-on shoes which happen to be made of patent leather are not.

Oh, and don't trust anything Tweedledum says - he wears variegated waistcoats.

I don't even own a waistcoat, are you thinking of tweedledee? Or maybe my plum DJ?
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby Yeats on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:52 am

I must say slippers to tutorials seem an excellent idea- though would dressing gowns be overdoing it?

On the subject of evening-wear perhaps the worst combination that I saw was a "gentleman" in a dinner jacket with light blue facings and an orange-tartan cummerbund.

Suddenly variegated waistcoats seem almost stylish.
Some day we shall be glad to remember such things
Yeats

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:36 pm

Niiiice.

As far as tutorials go, speaking as a tutor, I'd let slippers and a dressing gown go only if the student also came with a cup of tea (in a saucer, obviously) and 'a nice biscuit'.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:38 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 15:36, 16th Nov 2003:
Niiiice.

As far as tutorials go, speaking as a tutor, I'd let slippers and a dressing gown go only if the student also came with a cup of tea (in a saucer, obviously) and 'a nice biscuit'.

What about Coffe drinkers, or Sherry for that matter?
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:57 pm

Coffee would also be acceptable. Sherry, only if they bring enough for everyone. (Bristol Cream, £3.99 a bottle in Safeways at the moment. Take note.)

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:07 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 15:57, 16th Nov 2003:
Coffee would also be acceptable. Sherry, only if they bring enough for everyone. (Bristol Cream, £3.99 a bottle in Safeways at the moment. Take note.)

hmm, do I need to supply glasses too?
that'd cost more than the Sherry
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:16 pm

Plastic would be acceptable. Passing round the bottle and necking it would not be.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:25 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 16:16, 16th Nov 2003:
Plastic would be acceptable. Passing round the bottle and necking it would not be.

I should certainly hope not.

How much sherry should each person get as a rough ruel, ie is it ok to stop at one glass, or should there be enough to last everyone the lecture?
Tweedledum

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:30 pm

I think a bottle per tutorial is sufficient, depending, of course, on the number of students. I have a group of six and a group of seven, so a bottle would do splendidly.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Yeats on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:46 pm

I think a campaign to have mandatory sherry cosumption in Tutorials is in order. I'm still considering slippers and dressing gown to tutorials though.

[hr]Some day we shall be glad to remember such things
Some day we shall be glad to remember such things
Yeats

Re:

Postby Tweedledum on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:49 pm

[s]Yeats wrote on 16:46, 16th Nov 2003:
I think a campaign to have mandatory sherry cosumption in Tutorials is in order. I'm still considering slippers and dressing gown to tutorials though.

well it wouldn't be hard or expensive, and tutorials generally need something to get people to air their opinions confidently
Tweedledum

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society