Home

TheSinner.net

racism in british football

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

racism in british football

Postby the-enemy on Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:57 pm

i know this post may offend many, and therefore will apologise in advance and would like to invite any constructive criticism of my view.

i just want to say that it seems to me that the whole Dwight Yorke incident has been blown out of proportion. the racism english players were subjected to in Spain was dreadful and disgraceful, agreed, but in the Yorke case i think too much is being made of it.

in his case we had 3 drunk punters giving abuse to a former player who, lets face it, is no angel and has a bit of an overinflated ego. they hardly owe him any thanks for his time at their club. the man has had so many arguments with team-mates / managers / clubs / nations and is known for always believing he is the aggreived party. now, i believe that racism is totally wrong and has to be stamped out, and think Blackburn have acted appropriately amid the claims, but surely the whole affair is being subjected to far more attention than it deserves? its not 20,000 fans monkey chanting, or 40,000 fans throwing bananas (both atrocious acts of mindless abuse), its 3 idiots! let it be dealt with in house and let it be done with.

rant over, and apologies for not being able to make my argument clearly. please feel free to argue or agree with me.
the-enemy

Re:

Postby Superiorjames on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:18 pm

[s]the-enemy wrote on 21:57, 23rd Nov 2004:
i know this post may offend many, and therefore will apologise in advance and would like to invite any constructive criticism of my view.

i just want to say that it seems to me that the whole Dwight Yorke incident has been blown out of proportion. the racism english players were subjected to in Spain was dreadful and disgraceful, agreed, but in the Yorke case i think too much is being made of it.

in his case we had 3 drunk punters giving abuse to a former player who, lets face it, is no angel and has a bit of an overinflated ego. they hardly owe him any thanks for his time at their club. the man has had so many arguments with team-mates / managers / clubs / nations and is known for always believing he is the aggreived party. now, i believe that racism is totally wrong and has to be stamped out, and think Blackburn have acted appropriately amid the claims, but surely the whole affair is being subjected to far more attention than it deserves? its not 20,000 fans monkey chanting, or 40,000 fans throwing bananas (both atrocious acts of mindless abuse), its 3 idiots! let it be dealt with in house and let it be done with.

rant over, and apologies for not being able to make my argument clearly. please feel free to argue or agree with me.

It seems you are right once again, my arch nemesis the-enemy...
Superiorjames

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)