Home

TheSinner.net

Climbing Wall

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Climbing Wall

Postby JP Patches on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone could provide some info on the AU climbing wall beyond the usual, “it’s just a brick wall with some bricks missing and others protruding.” Do you have to go with a partner for belaying? Does the AU provide ropes and harnesses? Are there crash pads if you want to boulder? Can you use the wall anytime the AU is open?

I've never climbed indoors before, so basically, if anyone has information about the ins and outs of using the wall, could you please post it. Thanks a lot!
JP Patches

Re:

Postby rybon on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Since your post is from last year I assume this reply will be too late to help you, JP Patches. For anyone else who has the same questions, the answers are:
1. You do not need to go with a partner. You just turn up.
2. The Mountaineering Society provides ropes and harnesses.
3. There are no crash pads but you can boulder at low height with a spotter.
4. You can only use the wall Tues night 7-8 and Thurs lunch 12-2.
Just turn up to the Sports Centre and have a look. If the wall looks appealing then you can get Sports Centre membership and Mountaineering Membership and come during the 3 hours aforementioned.
Happy climbing!
rybon

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)