Home

TheSinner.net

Martial arts

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Re:

Postby davearnie on Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:17 am

Im sorry to disrespect you but you seen to know not alot about the martial arts.

1: Taekwondo is not 90% kicks is more like 60 - 40 and this is coming from someone who has trained in it for years!

How can you say karate's combat effectiveness is moderate, have you trained in karate or taekwondo, have you ever been in a real fight and used your above training if you have any?

80% of fights turn into grappling - well bullshit mate, i have been in numerous fights and never let my opponent grapple me, only non trained fools would grapple rather than hit their opponent!

I have also trained in akido and put it to good use in the street fight, it is very effective for self defense when combined with some other form of more aggressive art or basic sylabus in punching and kicking.

Im afraid to say but you dont seem to know very much about the arts, more theory from books and no real implementation from you - in future dont post on a subject you know nothing about!
davearnie

Re:

Postby mossop on Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:03 am

[s]Unregisted User Sharpez wrote on 14:45, 18th Sep 2003:
is not 'easy' as many think the translation 'the eay way' means, what it actually means is minimum effort, maximum results.

Well, actually, as I said above, the translation is 'the gentle way'.

Minimum effort? Are you kidding me? You might want to tell a fighter that after 5 minutes of intense fighting about minimum effort!

[hr]
http://www.geocities.com/stauwfc
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby Lindsay on Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:37 pm

[s]Unregisted User Sharpez wrote on 14:45, 18th Sep 2003:[i]

re-enactment - well the shire of caer caledon society seems to focus on medieval food, not fighting, so the facilities are not great.

This has been the case in the past but there is growing interest in re-enactment combat within the shire and there are fairly regular practices with both padded weapons and steel blades. We are also hoping to start SCA style Rattan combat soon.

[hr]
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately she also kills all her pupils!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Suulsa-Krii/givingad.gif[/img]
Lindsay

corrections

Postby quarterstaff on Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:32 am

glad to hear that lindsay.

now about sharpez's comments - well they ARE correct - yes i am sharpez and this is my new handle, well, who are you mossop? i am on the judo team and am on the commitee.

80% of realfights do end up in rolling about on the ground, and karate is not very combat effective - a punch or kick trained in the karate 'pulling punch' style where you aim for speed NOT power is useless - for effective striking arts do muay thai or boxing.

also - striking arts rarely seriously harm people - broken noses, jaws, etc are not fatal - a strangle, arm/leglock or other grappling moves such a throwing them on concrete floor are far more effective results wise,

judo does not mean gentle way - it actually means efficient way.

and yes i know judo is not a complete selfdefence/fighting form - thats why i would recomend boxing with judo - you learn throw a few proper punches, wieve into judo range, then drop them on their head on the ground, land on them and strngle them - boxing and judo are the most effective because you train against fulling resisting opponent who are tryiong to hamr you, in karate, etc. they are merely trying to get shots on target, then pull the power back - this 'control' leads to poor real fighting - note - YOU FIGHT THE WAY YOU TRAIN.

sorry to offend peeps, and really dislike one of the previous dude's attitudes - i am allowed to disagree without necessarily being a total novice, you know - dont be so condescending next time!

peace!

Q
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:06 am

I don't suppose there's any Bujinkan or other 'genuine' ninjutsu schools anywhere around St A's? If there isn't, I think I'll try out Aikido and fencing. They both look pretty cool.

kafdo

Postby o_t4ng on Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:47 pm

i am a black-belt 1st dan in Kafdo Karate. It is actually a mixture of freestyle/western karate, aikido and ju-jitsu. it is really good as an alround martial art as there is striking, basic grappling and restraint/holds. It is also pretty geared around self-defense and application in 'real life' situations rather than shows or sporting contests. Unfortuantely there is no class around here, unless i train for an instructor qualification, but I don't know if I can be bothered!
I plan to take up judo and taekwondo, just for a change and to enhance my general skill levels.
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby kinjo79 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting o_t4ng from 21:47, 29th Sep 2004
i am a black-belt 1st dan in Kafdo Karate. It is actually a mixture of freestyle/western karate, aikido and ju-jitsu. it is really good as an alround martial art as there is striking, basic grappling and restraint/holds. It is also pretty geared around self-defense and application in 'real life' situations rather than shows or sporting contests. Unfortuantely there is no class around here, unless i train for an instructor qualification, but I don't know if I can be bothered!
I plan to take up judo and taekwondo, just for a change and to enhance my general skill levels.

Yeah Kafdo Does indeed rock. It is far more realistic than other traditional martial arts, and if you don't believe me come have a free lesson. check out www.kafdo.iwarp.com for more details.
kinjo79

Previous

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)